Mens Tennis Forums banner

In the projected RG semifinal, how many games would Federer get off Nadal?

Votes: 3 8.3%
  • 1 to 4

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • 5 to 8

Votes: 13 36.1%
  • 9 to 12

Votes: 7 19.4%
  • more than 12

Votes: 11 30.6%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Federer's best showing against Nadal at RG got him 19 games (RG 2011) but his best performance only got him 4 (RG 2008). So how many would he win this year?

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
What do you mean by best performance? His best performance was in 2007 where everything worked except for the break point conversion. Have you watched the 2008 match? That was nothing short of terrible. Millions of shanks and the worst net approaches of all time. He basically invited Rafa to hit passing shots in almost every game.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
With his victory streak, Federer never had a bigger mental advantage against Nadal than now.

That being said, Federer is not nearly quick enough anymore. He isn't ready for a grindfest against Nadal. It would be a brutal beatdown, lets not kid ourselves.

·
Registered
4,575 Posts
If he wanted to be maximally ready for Wimbledon than not more than three per set on average, regardless of his results in the previous five rounds.

If he played QF vs Tsitsipsi than it would be better to lose it in three or four quick sets therein, 'cause I don't think those 360 points are worthy of spoiling his Wimbledon odds and H2H vs Nadal.

·
Registered
35 Posts
This is the best chance for Federer to show up against Nadal. Clearly he has mental advantage against Nadal with last few wins. No body can deny 2019 Nadal is the weakest in clay since he debuted. With service and volley- Federer will try to root Nadal.
When Fogini can beat Nadal in the slowest court why can’t Federer.
Federer profile will become complete if he beats Nadal in clay in a grand slam. He will avenge the loss. History has given him an another chance to cement his greatness and then kill Djokovic in final like in 2011 and will show his fingers to all the haters.

·
|
14,303 Posts
I think Federer will get more games than Thiem would.
If you look at the 9 sets Rafa-Thiem have played at Roland Garros, you'll see why : )
Federer's backhand vs. Rafa at Roland Garros, is far more effective than Thiem's....

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
He will destroy both Schwartzman and tsitsipas (if they even make it this far). Both are vastly overrated...
Because your 2019 Clay Federer is not overrated :superlol: :superlol: :superlol:

TBH I told Schwartzman or Tsitsipas just to be kind and respectfull but I am pretty sure it is Sonego or Berrettini who will kick him out.

·
justice for all
13,137 Posts
Nadal is way weaker than he was in 2018 and 2017. But the organisers rigged the draw to give him the best possible chance to go as far as possible.

With an average balanced draw he wouldn't even reach the QF but now who knows... he may even fluke his way to another final.

But if Roger awaits in the SF Nadal will probably decide to give a W/O like he did in IW - to avoid another humiliation from the GOAT.

And if Dominic handles well all the obstacles that await for him in his half he could get a dream final between him and Roger.

·
Premium Member
7,104 Posts
2011? 2006 RG final was the best one from Fed IMO.

I think he can win a set and make it competitive, if all clicks.
I actually watched that final, and the first 2 sets where awful quality. The SA#1 won the set 6-1 while still makng something like 12 or 13 UEs in just 7 games. He made 19 in the second set. Forgot how bad those set really were. The following 2 sets were decent, but not anything to write home about.

·
justice for all
13,137 Posts
Federer's best showing against Nadal at RG got him 19 games (RG 2011) but his best performance only got him 4 (RG 2008). So how many would he win this year?
In 2011 Roger would have surely won if not for the tactical fake MTO that Nadal took when Roger was in a winning position in the first set.

·
|
14,303 Posts
Nadal is way weaker than he was in 2018 and 2017. But the organisers rigged the draw to give him the best possible chance to go as far as possible.
If you watch 2017 Rome (when Thiem had his most lopsided win ever over Rafa), and 2018 Rome (when Zverev breadsticked Rafa) you can see 2019 Rafa is better than both those versions : )

1 - 20 of 55 Posts