Mens Tennis Forums banner

Did Federer not give his best effort in 2013 US Open to avoid Nadal?

• Yes, he either tanked or was injured or didn't give his best

Votes: 15 34.9%
  • No, thoughorly outplayed

Votes: 28 65.1%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I felt at the time that he tanked that match to avoid the Nadal showdown.

I don't blame him, if a showdown ever happened at the US Open, it needed to be between at least sub peak Fed and Peak Nadal. 2009 Us Open would have been a good chance for them to meet, though Nadal did have an abdominal injury which really showed during his QF with Gonzalez and his semi with Del Potro.

He definately would have lost and it would have just been an unnesesary and unfair blight on his record.

·
Registered
27,181 Posts
I thought this was the common consensus already.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
No, he didn't tank. He was visibly disturbed by his inability to think straight and play his normal game. Something was adrift. I put it down to being heavily pain-med'ed for the back.

NB. Your poll options need some logical reworking. Perhaps:

Yes, he tanked to avoid Nadal.
Yes, he tanked....but because of injury.
No, he was trying his best, but was playing at reduced percentage for some reason.
No, he was at his normal level but was thoroughly outplayed by a better player on the day.

·
Banned
6,795 Posts
Very hard to say. His 2013 was really weird in general. Back issues, family issues, getting older, stuff just happens. Or he tanked. Who cares either way?

·
Banned
15 Posts
YES! Mugerer tanked against Mugredo to avoid facing Dull and yet another humiliation. With the form both were in, I suspect it would have been a triple bagel in favor of Dull.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I thought this was the common consensus already.
It is, but after a while people forget about these things.

If he did tank, that really is quite shocking

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Very hard to say. His 2013 was really weird in general. Back issues, family issues, getting older, stuff just happens. Or he tanked. Who cares either way?
Yeah, the losses in 2013 were bizziare, but the US Open one was just too much to take. He just does too well there normally, it looked very much like a strategic tank. Just can't believe Robredo beats any vesion of him in such a way at the US Open, his former kingdom.

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
Definitely like Fed to not play a tournament to win. He also no doubt tanked WB, the summer Euro clay events, the Nadal match in Cincy, the Monfils match in Shanghai and the Delpo match in Basel. Or maybe all of those losses, and specifically his poor form in many of them, are explained by the injury problems we now know he was dealing with at the time. Wonder which explanation is more likely?

Thread is also disrespectful to Robredo. The guy had a great year in '13 and he's one of the best fighters on the tour. That he stayed focused throughout and closed Fed out in straights took some balls.

·
Registered
904 Posts
It was a disgusting tank

·
Registered
24,311 Posts
I felt at the time that he tanked that match to avoid the Nadal showdown.

I don't blame him, if a showdown ever happened at the US Open, it needed to be between at least sub peak Fed and Peak Nadal. 2009 Us Open would have been a good chance for them to meet, though Nadal did have an abdominal injury which really showed during his QF with Gonzalez and his semi with Del Potro.

He definately would have lost and it would have just been an unnesesary and unfair blight on his record.
There we go again? What do you think? That we are stupid or can't remember Rafa getting blown out by Del Po? There we go again with another injury... it seems InfiDulls go back in time and make up injuries for every loss Rafa has had

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
No. 2013erer lost to delbonis, Brands, stakohvsky and many other mugs... no wonder he lost to robredo too.

Anyway if he did really care about H2H with Nadal he wouldn't have played him four times last year, would he?

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App

·
Registered
21,308 Posts
Tank that Tomic would be proud of to be honest.

·
Federer Fan & Dull Hater
11,399 Posts
No. 2013erer lost to delbonis, Brands, stakohvsky and many other mugs... no wonder he lost to robredo too.

Anyway if he did really care about H2H with Nadal he wouldn't have played him four times last year, would he?

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App
Exactly. I mean, he played 2013 IW QF with a back injury after barely scrapping by Wawrinka. He could have easily withdrawn from that match yet he didn't.

·
Registered
6,721 Posts
No, Federer just wasn't very good for much of 2013.
This. To suggest anyone of the top players would tank is ridiculous, especially at a slam.

·
Registered
11,780 Posts
The script was followed. Djokovic was the chosen sacrificial lamb to endure the toughest losses since he is the most gracious top player after a loss. The other contenders had to go sooner.

Nadal's miraculous comeback was the ATP story of the year, along with Murray finally winning Wimbledon after 77 years.

At Wimbledon 2013, what happened to the Scot's best contenders?
Very suspicious, no?

Conspiracy theorists come out, come out, wherever you are...:cool:

Respectfully,
masterclass

·
Registered
21,275 Posts
He was outplayed by himself thay day unfortunately.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts