Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If Roddick beats Federer he will 3-0 and federer will be 1-2. If federer beats roddick he will be 2-1 and roddick will be 2-1. Roddick has already qualified so Gonzalez would have to beat Davydenko to get a 2-1 standing. Which means it would be tied between Federer and Gonzalez and as only two are tied the head to head between the two is counted and they will go through. I am a bit confused why roddick has already qualified as ATP states that when three players are tied sets won and lost are counted. But this may be because roddick has won bot his matches in straight sets.

Am i right in thinking this? anyone!

·
Registered
3,459 Posts
If Roddick beats Federer he will 3-0 and federer will be 1-2. If federer beats roddick he will be 2-1 and roddick will be 2-1. Roddick has already qualified so Gonzalez would have to beat Davydenko to get a 2-1 standing. Which means it would be tied between Federer and Gonzalez and as only two are tied the head to head between the two is counted and they will go through. I am a bit confused why roddick has already qualified as ATP states that when three players are tied sets won and lost are counted. But this may be because roddick has won bot his matches in straight sets.

You are not right, you are confused.

In order for Federer to not qualify, Gonzo must beat Davy, and Federer must lose to Roddick. If either of that doesn't happen, Federer will qualify.

I could go into reasons for this, but I'm not sure if it will increase your confusion even more? :devil:

·
RAVE ON
19,414 Posts
You are not right, you are confused.

In order for Federer to not qualify, Gonzo must beat Davy, and Federer must lose to Roddick. If either of that doesn't happen, Federer will qualify.

I could go into reasons for this, but I'm not sure if it will increase your confusion even more? :devil:
That is what the official site says. Obviously head to head comes into play before any set count. But they say that Roddick is in, no matter what, although I can not figure that one out, if they each finish 1-1 against each other.

·
Registered
5,572 Posts
That is what the official site says. Obviously head to head comes into play before any set count. But they say that Roddick is in, no matter what, although I can not figure that one out, if they each finish 1-1 against each other.
If there are 2 players tied in wins then you use head to head to decide the winner, if there are 3 players tied in wins then sets are counted, if 2 players have the same set records then the head to head is used.
So if you do the calculations there is no way for Roddick not to qualify as i understand, not even if Gonzalez wins in straights and Roddick loses in straights.

·
RAVE ON
19,414 Posts

No, because Roddick did not beat Davydenko in straight sets.

·
Registered
8,821 Posts
Roddick best case scenario is 3-0 in match wins. No question he is in then. The only two other scenarios with a loss tonight are the following which will leave him qualified either way:

Federer def. Roddick + Gonzo def. Davydenko ==> Fed, Rod, Gon are each 2-1. Three way match win tie means, go to set record: Now if Gonzo def Davydenko in straights (best case scenario) and Federer def Roddick in straights (best case scenario) then set records are: Federer 5-2, Roddick 4-3, Gonzo 4-3. When only two players are tied at the set level, then you go to H2H. So, because Roddick beat Gonzo (h2h), then Gonzo is out.

The other scenario is Fed def. Roddick and Davydenko def. Gonzo. Then Fed and Rod are 2-1 and ND and Gonzo are 1-2. So Fed and Rod qualify.

Thus, in every situation possible Rod qualifies. What happens to Federer is in Federer's hands. What happens to Gonzo is in the hands of both Gonzo and Federer (he needs Federer to lose as well as he needs to win against ND)

·
Registered
5,304 Posts
Federer def. Roddick + Gonzo def. Davydenko ==> Fed, Rod, Gon are each 2-1. Three way match win tie means, go to set record: Now if Gonzo def Davydenko in straights (best case scenario) and Federer def Roddick in 3 (worst case scenario) then set records are: Federer 5-2, Roddick 4-3, Gonzo 4-3. When only two players are tied at the set level, then you go to H2H. So, because Roddick beat Gonzo (h2h), then Gonzo is out.
if Fed beats Rod in 3, then his set record is 5-3, not 5-2. Roddicks will be 5-3 as well. and gonzos will be 4-3 (with straight sets) so FED and ROD qualify

if however Fed beats Rod in 2, Fed is 5-2, Rod is 4-3 and Gonzo is 4-3 so its the same situation

So what Gonzo needs is to win (in any amount of sets) and Roddick to win, thats his only chance

·
RAVE ON
19,414 Posts
If there are 2 players tied in wins then you use head to head to decide the winner, if there are 3 players tied in wins then sets are counted, if 2 players have the same set records then the head to head is used.
So if you do the calculations there is no way for Roddick not to qualify as i understand, not even if Gonzalez wins in straights and Roddick loses in straights.
Thanks. That is the answer. There is a difference between what happens if 2 players are tied and if 3 players are tied.

·
Registered
8,821 Posts
if Fed beats Rod in 3, then his set record is 5-3, not 5-2. Roddicks will be 5-3 as well. and gonzos will be 4-3 (with straight sets) so FED and ROD qualify

if however Fed beats Rod in 2, Fed is 5-2, Rod is 4-3 and Gonzo is 4-3 so its the same situation

So what Gonzo needs is to win (in any amount of sets) and Roddick to win, thats his only chance
Yes, correct, I meant to write best case scenario for both

And correct about Gonzo as well. That's what I meant by Gonzo doing his best and winning is not going to be enough, he will need the help from Roddick.
Federer, well he has only himself to blame if he does not pull out a win.

·
Registered
6,652 Posts
What happens if federer looses against roddick and davy wins against gonzo, then it's rod 3-0, fed 1-2, gonzo 1-2, davy 1-2 . Don't they first use the who won against whom, of course in this situation the rule doesn't apply, cause it's a vicious cycle. They don't even use games, just sets, strange...

In that situation Roddick first Federer second. If fed losses in 2, he will have 3:4 in sets. If Davydenko wins in 2 he will have 3:4 too and Gonzo wil have 2:5, he is out, and Davy is out too cause H2H with Fed.

Only scenario for Fed fed to be out is Roddick to beat him and Gonzo beat Davydenko. No other possibilites.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts