Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Serena Williams continued her majestic form in the build-up to the French Open and made the Betfair Wimbledon 2012 punters take notice, as she came from behind to beat Nadia Petrova in the second round of the Internazionali BNL d'Italia in Rome.

The ninth-seeded American looked to be heading for a rare defeat when the Russian took the first set 6-4 but Williams stormed back to win the next two sets 6-2 6-3.

The turning point came at 1-1 in the second set, when Williams saved five break points on her own serve before eventually winning the game, and from that point on she never looked back.

"When I lost the first set, I just thought, 'Stay in there and just don't give up, you'll have a chance,'" the 30-year-old said afterwards.

"I just didn't want to give up. I never do want to give up, nor have I ever wanted to give up. I wanted it today."

Williams has won all 15 of her matches on clay this year and next faces Anabel Medina Garrigues in the third round. The 13-time Grand Slam champion will be coming up against the 29-year-old Spaniard for the first time in her career.

Venus Williams also impressed the tennis betting community, winning through to the third round thanks to a 7-6 6-1 success against Ekaterina Makarova. She will face the number five seed and last year’s US Open champion Samantha Stosur next.

Elsewhere, Ana Ivanovic will play Maria Sharapova in the third round after thrashing the Spanish qualifier Silvia Soler-Espinosa 6-2 6-1.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts