Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Your visions will happen
48,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In this thread I invite everyone to post Davis Cup matches/highlights that are representative of the energy and vibe of the Davis Cup

I will start

The home and away ties, the partisan crowd, the best of 5 sets and best of 5 matches, lose and go home or get relegated, all that is now gone.

They threw out the baby with the bathwater. Back in the day the guys made nothing playing DC. Sure now the money is good with Pique Cup or so I hear, we will know the financials after the event concludes. But why not just pay the players fair market price for their services? Why short change them and expect to play 5 sets over and over for nothing? Sure, playing for your country is important. But that only reduces the financial incentive necessary to go play, not eliminate it.

·
Registered
32,140 Posts
And the purpose of this nonsense is? Bring back the old format but pay the players for playing DC? In case you didnt know, they were already paid by their federations, just no prize money. This is what THEY wanted , at least the majority of them, and this is what they got.

All this nonsense about players being underpaid or overfatigued because of DC is really comical. It's the lower ranked guys who never skipped DC, so you can throw that bs excuse out of the window. DC was ditched because the top 10 players will rather collect the bigger paychecks than play for their country.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts