Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
May All Beings Be Happy!!
12,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In case anyone was wondering, what happened to Paradorn. I spotted this article in the Bangkok English language daily, The Nation. Here Ball's father, Khun Chanchai, gives his views about his son's prospects and current state. It really makes interesting reading. I am not sure if he will come back to professional tennis. As the article points out, he is doing so many other things which surely keep him busy. Of course, his camp will still keep that option open.

Lifestyle

Keeping an eye on Ball

Published on January 10, 2008

He's been away from the tennis court a long time and meanwhile married a very distracting woman. Can Paradorn Srichaphan fire up his game again?

It's a funny world in which a 28-year-old man can be considered too young to start a family. But when you're the country's top sportsman, you're supposed to stay focused on sport.

So when Paradorn Srichaphan marrried former Miss Universe Natlie Glebova in November, a lot of people were wondering what chances he had of fresh victories in a sport dominated by younger players.

"Relax!" is the advice of Paradorn's father and coach, Chanachai Srichaphan. He tells The Nation in an exclusive interview that Natalie is the ideal angel to help the star return to tennis heaven.

Is marriage going to affect Paradorn's tennis?

He and Natalie get along really well - they understand each other. They respect each other's responsibilities and won't get in each other's way. After Paradorn has fully recovered from the tendonitis in his wrist, he'll pick up the racquet again. And Natalie will accompany him to some tournaments if she's available.

What are his chances of a successful comeback?

It won't be easy to get back to where he used to be. It takes quite some time for a player who's been off the tour for more than a year to regain his momentum. No one can tell if he will succeed - we just have to wait and see - but you can't expect him to make a big bang in his first few tournaments.

It's impossible for him to get back into the top 10 because there are so many good players, and the tour is very competitive at the moment. But to see him in the top 20 or top 50 is quite feasible.

What's he doing now?

He's a very disciplined athlete. He can't pick up the racquet because he's still recovering from the wrist operation, but he runs every morning and afternoon to keep up his strength, and also goes to the gym.

He sees a doctor every day to check on the progress of the wrist. He has to be fit because he really does want to go back on the tour.

If he can't, he already has a business to run. He and Natalie have established a company called Fah Glebova International, which so far mostly handles advertising. They plan to expand into the beauty trade, such as opening a spa.

Paradorn is also Natalie's personal manager and deals with local and foreign companies that want to have her as their presenter.

You've been married for 40 years. Have you ever given Paradorn any advice on handling married life?

He's never asked! But I think all three of my sons have learned from my behaviour and picked up what they think is good for them to use as they settle down to start a family. I think Paradorn is a smart guy - he doesn't have to ask me directly for advice. He watches and learns.

I can tell from the way he deals with his clients that he's smart and very mature. The way he communicates with them - in Thai or in English - he's a professional. He's quite capable of running a business.

How much time do you reckon he's got left for playing tennis?

Well, he can't play forever, so he has to have something else other than tennis to do when he retires. He's only 28, though, so he should be able to play for another three years or so. He's too young to retire now - he has to give it a go for three more years anyway.

Lerpong Amsa-ngiam,

Veena Thoopkrajae

The Nation
Privacy Policy © 2006 Nation Multimedia Group Thailand Web Stat

January 13, 2008 04:33 am (Thai local time)
www.nationmultimedia.com

·
Registered
17,866 Posts
Thanks for this article. I would like to see Paradorn come back just because he is such a classy guy, but if his wrist can't heal well enough to take the rigors of the tour, I guess we'll never see him again.

·
12,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for this article. I would like to see Paradorn come back just because he is such a classy guy, but if his wrist can't heal well enough to take the rigors of the tour, I guess we'll never see him again.
you are welcome, I too share your views. I wish he can come back even for one season, so, i can see him play again. Some friends of mine saw him jogging in Lumphini Park, the biggest park in Bangkok, and he stopped and took pictures with them. he really is a very nice guy.
It's a shame about his injury, but it could be worse. At least he has a good life now. He is also building a tennis academy near Pattaya, 2 hors drive from Bangkok, so, at least he will be doing his bit to build up future tennis players from Thailand.

·
Registered
9,484 Posts
He is also building a tennis academy near Pattaya, 2 hors drive from Bangkok, so, at least he will be doing his bit to build up future tennis players from Thailand.
I hope those ae indoor courts, otherwise, training in the Thai weather :tape:

·
12,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I hope those ae indoor courts, otherwise, training in the Thai weather :tape:
Training in the Thai weather is not bad . I play tennis every day in Thailand. It's much more comfortable then playing in Jeddah during the day. In Jeddah , I cannot play before evening time because it's so hot. The courts at the Thai Tennis academy at the site of the Bangkok open is out door courts. Of course, the Bangkok open is held indoors in a multi-purpose hall. Incidentally, the Bangkok Open is not held in Bangkok, but in Pathum Thani, more than an hour north of Bangkok.

·
Vamos Mandy :)
85,829 Posts
Good luck Paradorn :hug: Thanks for the update dharmatiger, I really hope he can make a comeback, such a nice guy on tour and fun to watch play (for me anyway).

·
Registered
87 Posts
I agree. And that would be truly sad. I hate to see careers just kind of fade away (a la Guga.) I met Paradorn at the Pacific Life Open and he was a nice and genuine guy. We had sandwiches together on the grass, and whenever a fan would come up for a talk or autograph he was always obliging.

flea

1 - 7 of 7 Posts