Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the light of some recent threads how big of a failure most of the tennis generations are, I've just decided to create a Wikitable on won Slams without the Big3. Method: Easy, the last man standing who is not named Federer, Nadal or Djokovic has won that Slam and in case two Big3 members defeat two non-big3 opponents in Semifinals, the one with the better score takes the cake then.

Players who have completed their SF against a Big3 member will receive preferential treatment over retired players (or players who gave a walk over logically). In case both players have lost by the same amount of games, then players who have played more tough sets will be rather taken as winner (7-5>6-4 for example).

Mind you that this is obviously just some kind of a game which can't determine the hypothetical Slam winner every time, since players who got defeated by the Big3 the rounds before might have had a better shot to win it all than the hopeless runner up.

So in an alternate reality without the Big3 following players could claim a Slam under their belt (beginning with Fed's first Slam):

Andy Murray the hypothetical GOAT and Baghdatis as two times Slam winner :worship:

·
Registered
7,751 Posts
Very interesting. Thank for doing.
Who roddick not more though

·
Registered
271 Posts
Well in an alternate reality, Murray wouldn't have been as good as he was now. He obviously pushed himself forward and motivated himself because of the big 3. He reached newer heights. Would that have happened otherwise?

Also, Agassi would've won USO 04 instead of Hewitt , if Federer never existed.

·
Super Moderator
8,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Well in an alternate reality, Murray wouldn't have been as good as he was now. He obviously pushed himself forward and motivated himself because of the big 3. He reached newer heights. Would that have happened otherwise?

Also, Agassi would've won USO 04 instead of Hewitt , if Federer never existed.
You must be fun at parties

It even says in the opening post that this is one possible simulation out of manifold ones

·
Registered
751 Posts
Nice job, its pretty cool.
I get by what rules you went, but I feel like I need to point it out anyway, I would have let Del Potro win RG 2009, USO 2017 and Wimbledon 2018, other than a big 3 guy no one would have stopped him in these runs. Same goes to stan in AO 2017 and FO 2013(I think he has a fair shot at AO 13 and 15).

Reactions: hammett and IBM

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
Most GS tournaments won:

Murray 15
Sampras 14
Emerson 12

The myth, the legend, the GOAT

·
Super Moderator
8,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nice job, its pretty cool.
I get by what rules you went, but I feel like I need to point it out anyway, I would have let Del Potro win RG 2009, USO 2017 and Wimbledon 2018, other than a big 3 guy no one would have stopped him in these runs. Same goes to stan in AO 2017 and FO 2013(I think he has a fair shot at AO 13 and 15).
Create your own alternate reality then :p

Reactions: WhatdidIdo

·
Registered
751 Posts
Reactions: IBM

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Good job!

Yeah, good evidence of how much Murray got blocked by Big3.

Godwrinka with 6 Slams :love:

Reactions: Nole Fan #1

·
Super Moderator
8,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Great thread. Except for a few Murray-fans, the expression "big four" has not been that much used by MTF-members. I must say, this list was a rather good argument for the validity of the big four concept. A bit surprising Delpo only got two slams.
Yes I hope once there is another dude saying there was never a Big4 they just give him/her the link to this thread

1 - 20 of 51 Posts