Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A year ago Cressy lost 1R qualies to Nico Mahut in three sets, I saw the match, he won the first, lost a close second and then faded in fatigue in the third, hot day. But he's gotten a lot better in a year. Won a round in main draw vs Kovalik (first major main draw match) and gave Tsitsipas, a legit contender to win the title or get to final or semi, three tough sets. Great experience for the fiery Frenchman who has a lethal serve and attacks relentlessly, very good volleys. With a little more seasoning he can be a top 20 player. I like his head, his game, his drive to be the best. His goal is world no. 1 in 5 years. He believes. All that matter is what HE BELIEVES not any huckleberry in the peanut galler. Go future champion Cressy!

·
Registered
12,580 Posts
He is French-American, representing USA since 2018. Calling him a Frenchman is ignorant. I was expecting something else from such a reputable journalist.

·
30,413 Posts
I'd be shocked if he ever entered the top 20. I have been wrong before, but I would be shocked.

·
Banned
3,274 Posts
I'm not impressed at all from what I have seen. In fact, I was disgusted, because he should have beaten Tsitsipas but didn't. Whenever he had chances and during big points (like set point and break points), he showed why he's a mug.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not a bad showing for his first Grand Slam main draw against a very very tough second round opponent. Federer lost his first two major main draw matches at RG and Wimbledon in 1999.

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
54,912 Posts
I'm not impressed at all from what I have seen. In fact, I was disgusted, because he should have beaten Tsitsipas but didn't. Whenever he had chances and during big points (like set point and break points), he showed why he's a mug.
Yeah a guy who has not played a main draw grand slam match till this Open, a wildcard whose highest ranking to date is 163 no less should beat Tsitsipas, good logic. Experience plays a major role when you play top players. The score was closer than the ranking should dictate, already a great sign for Cressy, even if he wasn't able to win a set. I remember Djokovic losing easily to Safin AO2005 6-0 6-2 6-1.

·
Banned
3,274 Posts
Yeah a guy who has not played a main draw grand slam match till this Open, a wildcard whose highest ranking to date is 163 no less should beat Tsitsipas, good logic. Experience plays a major role when you play top players. The score was closer than the ranking should dictate, already a great sign for Cressy, even if he wasn't able to win a set.
I watched the match and Cressy was the better player. He had his chances to win. He should have won the first two sets, at least (set point and ample break point chances in multiple games).

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
54,912 Posts
I watched the match and Cressy was the better player. He had his chances to win. He should have won the first two sets, at least (set point and ample break point chances in multiple games).
he might have had chances. But taking them is the most important aspect of the game that determines the better player at the end of the day and unfortunately for him, the tide turned on him. Technically, you could say that Federer was the better player against Djokovic at Wimbledon F 2019 as well based on total pts won and chances, but he was not the one to lift the trophy because he wasn't the better player when it counted.

·
Banned
3,274 Posts
I disagree because Tsitsipas didn't have to do anything but watch Cressy implode. Wimbledon was different, because Novak turned superhuman during the tiebreaks (0 errors) and down MPs.

·
Your visions will happen
51,258 Posts
Impressed by what? Another bot?

Sure he's got a bit more movement, agility, and hands than the usual super tall player. And we've seen bots make top 10-20-30, so that could still happen

But anything more is unlikely

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Cressy just is not mentally ready to slay dragons yet just like Nakashima is not ready). But Cressy showed last night he has what it takes and with time and experience and some fine tuning, he can win matches like this and send juggernauts like Tsitsipas home. Very valuable experience was gained last night. And now he's on the radar of a lot of top players. Cressy is going to be a force to be reckoned with. Huckleberries on MTF may be quick to write him off but be sure the ATP upper echelon took notice of what he did last night.

·
Registered
5,355 Posts
How was he the better player?
Tsitsipas won more points (+11)
Tsitsipas won more return points% (37% vs. 31%) with Cressy having a better serve.
Tsitsipas won more serve points% (obviously) (69% vs. 63%)
Tsitsipas had more than twice as many break point chances (10 vs 4)
Tsitsipas had a better winner/UE ratio.

Do you watch tennis upside down?
Or do you watch tennis at all when your idol isn't playing?

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Serve is the most important shot in tennis. It is the hardest to master. To call a great server a bot is the kind of ignorant silly thing a huckleberry would say.

·
Banned
3,274 Posts
You're looking at overall stats. Tsitsipas didn't have more points in set 1. As for set 2, Cressy choked, simple as that.

·
Registered
4,806 Posts
One of the most subtle big serves I've ever seen. Enjoyable player to watch, this monsieur Cressy.

Tsitsipas simply outclassed him, even with his serve.

(lol bhdtl for again not knowing sh^t about tennis)

·
30,413 Posts
Not a bad showing for his first Grand Slam main draw against a very very tough second round opponent. Federer lost his first two major main draw matches at RG and Wimbledon in 1999.
Comparing him to Federer isn't really your best move. Cressy is 23. How many GS titles did Fed have by 23?

·
Registered
7,254 Posts
I love how everyone tries to make Boss see reason. He couldn't distinguish a tennis racket from a baseball bat, anything apart from fangirling Novak he couldn't care anymore. I don't know why he's fearing Tsitsipas though, I thought Nolemort was unbeatable.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts