Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
23,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to say it is quite refreshing seeing how points are constructed on grass. Those who said there were no rallies, see Lopez vs. Berdych which had a healthy amount of that but those didn't end that awkward. With having a Slam (said to be the most prestigious due to its legacy for some) and how points really don't seem to make the player stupid sometimes (I feel that on some Clay rallies) I think it should have the same length as Clay courts. Clay also only has 1 Slam (RG) so having a 25%-25%-50% ratio of Clay-Grass-Hard should be a nice balance. If there is only a way to make the schedule of such balance possible I hope it could be done.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
I would love more grass tournaments. I hope this will be a reality in the years to come. 2015 marks significant progress with an extra week inbetween RG and Wimbledon, in addition to 500 upgrades for Queens and Halle.

·
Premium Member
5,071 Posts
Im all for a longer grass season, but dont know how timing would work with wimbledon so close to french open.

·
Registered
11,734 Posts
I agree.

It's really incredible that there are 3 clay Masters and ZERO on grass, ZERO.
It is really some disgusting stuff.

2 Slams on HC, 1 on Clay, 1 on Grass.

3 Masters on HC, 3 Masters on Clay, 3 Masters on Grass.

·
Registered
21,399 Posts
I thought you meant 50/50, which is my ultimate dream :lol:

Away with hardcourt.

·
23,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Im all for a longer grass season, but dont know how timing would work with wimbledon so close to french open.
Yeah. It is long history, that I think it would be almost impossible for it to be moved. I am thinking that with Australia having an opposite season cycle than the European season that we could put some Grass matches down under if given a chance during the cold seasons.

·
Registered
6,721 Posts
More grass tournaments would be a joy! No masters being on grass is unfair.

·
Registered
7,216 Posts
Never going to happen.
For now I would be ok with at least 1 grass masters.

·
Registered
11,734 Posts
January, February: ATP 250s and 500s on Hard Court + one Master on Hard Court + Australian Open

March, April, May: ATP 250s + 500s on Clay + 3 Clay Masters + Roland Garros.

June, July, August: ATP 250s + 500s on Grass + 3 Grass Masters + Wimbledon.

September, October: ATP 250s + 500s on American Hard Court + 2 American Hard Court Masters + US Open.

November: World Tour Finals on indoor hard court

·
23,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
January, February: ATP 250s and 500s on Hard Court + one Master on Hard Court + Australian Open

September, October: ATP 250s + 500s on American Hard Court + 2 American Hard Court Masters + US Open.

November: World Tour Finals on indoor hard court
Where do we put the Indoor tournament Masters though, unless you are saying that the WTF is already the "Masters of Indoors", with a 500 before it?

·
Registered
11,734 Posts
Where do we put the Indoor tournament Masters though, unless you are saying that the WTF is already the "Masters of Indoors", with a 500 before it?
We could create a new Master only for Indoor Hard Court.

November: 1 Master on indoor Hard Court + World Tour Finals on indoor hard court

·
Registered
972 Posts
They should take away some time from HC season and put it towards grass IMO.

At least 1 Masters 1000 tournament.

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
Will never happen as the only logical place to add grass events is before WB and continental Europe, the place where tournaments go during that part of the year, has a strong clay tradition. The most one could hope for is a single grass Masters getting squeezed in before WB and even getting that to happen would be tough. Probably actually more likely to see one of the slams previously played on grass unilaterally go back to that surface rather than having the tour add several grass Masters, but that's also almost guaranteed not to happen.

Speeding up the post-USO portion of the calendar is the easiest, most logical and most likely way of getting more fast court tennis on the tour.

·
Banned
6,795 Posts
Will never happen as the only logical place to add grass events is before WB and continental Europe, the place where tournaments go during that part of the year, has a strong clay tradition. The most one could hope for is a single grass Masters getting squeezed in before WB and even getting that to happen would be tough. Probably actually more likely to see one of the slams previously played on grass unilaterally go back to that surface rather than having the tour add several grass Masters, but that's also almost guaranteed not to happen.

Speeding up the post-USO portion of the calendar is the easiest, most logical and most likely way of getting more fast court tennis on the tour.
We want grass, not just fast hardcourt.

·
Banned
2,838 Posts
but it is ultimately difficult to have many grass tournaments because grass is insufficient and seasonal.

·
Banned
5,616 Posts

Hard >Blue Clay > Clay>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Grass :ras:
Wimbledon with their cult of traditions :facepalm: Shocking that players are allowed to playing with modern racquets, not wooden :eek:

·
Registered
4,143 Posts

Indoor carpet>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Indoor Hard>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Outdoor hard/Blue Clay/Clay/Grass
Fixed for the truth

:wavey:

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
We want grass, not just fast hardcourt.
A grass season as long as the clay season is a pipe dream so long as the AO and USO remain HC. OTOH an indoor season that historically was fast and rewarded similar play to what works on grass (point construction seems to be what the OP cares most about rather that aesthetics or history) is available for speeding up right now. If calendar balance between slow, medium and fast is the goal, speeding up indoor HC is the most likely way to make that happen.

And I'm in favor of replacing a HC Masters with a grass Masters so my position isn't due to hostility to the surface, just realism. One grass Masters is as much as we'll possibly get and that won't lead to the calendar speed balance the OP seems to want, hence the need to speed up indoor HC.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts