Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
9,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
- Season 4 episode 9 of Game of Thrones rated 9.5
- Start out rating for Gravity -- 8.8 (current - 8.1)
- Start out rating for The Wolf of Wall Street -- 8.9 (current - 8.3)
- Start out rating for 7 Years a Slave -- 8.7 (current - 8.2)
- Start out rating for Winter Sleep (Cannes 2014 winner) -- 9.9 (current-9.7)

etc etc...

·
Rankings Master
15,648 Posts
- Season 4 episode 9 of Game of Thrones rated 9.5
- Start out rating for Gravity -- 8.8 (current - 8.1)
- Start out rating for The Wolf of Wall Street -- 8.9 (current - 8.3)
- Start out rating for 7 Years a Slave -- 8.7 (current - 8.2)
- Start out rating for Winter Sleep (Cannes 2014 winner) -- 9.9 (current-9.7)

etc etc...
The IMDB ratings become reliable once enough votes have been placed. The episode of Game of Thrones doesn't yet have a reliable score.

·
Premium Member
21,076 Posts
Pretty reliable I'd say. Startout ratings don't mean much though; also that Game of thrones episode has "9.5/10 from 7,156 users", which is hardly the same when some movie was rated by 300k+ users. Same goes for the Winter Sleep, which has only 2,233 votes. :)

·
Registered
27,181 Posts
Scores are always inflated in the beginning and stabilise after a few months. I have a personal rule of never watching a movie unless it has an IMDB rating of over 9.1.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
TV show episodes on general have higher average ratings then movies because if people don't like a tv show they probably wont watch more then 1 episode. Basically that episode of Game Of Thrones with a 9.5 rating is almost all from people who watch GOT every week and would be predisposed to liking it. Any movie regardless of how high or low the vote amount totals will be from wider sample of people.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Given that quality of films is purely subjective, unlike success in tennis for example, the IMDB ratings are pretty much as good as you will get because the only fair way to judge films is by the average enjoyment of people who watch them. I'd rather go by IMDB than the opinions of any particular professional critic.

But as others have said, time is important for films in particular.

·
Registered
7,516 Posts
They seem to be biased towards newer movies and also biased towards "guys'" movies, e.g. Action movies and comic book movies. Overall, I still think they're a pretty good yardstick on whether I will enjoy the movie or not.

·
Rankings Master
15,648 Posts
They seem to be biased towards newer movies and also biased towards "guys'" movies, e.g. Action movies and comic book movies. Overall, I still think they're a pretty good yardstick on whether I will enjoy the movie or not.
If a movie belongs to a strict franchise, it's quite clear that most people seeing and rating it will be fans of the respective franchise. That is why action and comic book movies will generally get a higher rating. It's like the (mentioned above) TV series example. Movies for the general public with sufficient votes though will usually have the fairest score. Newer movies are usually rated by 'positive' critics at first for some reason, but I have seen the exact opposite for a few titles, in which the initial score was lower than the final score. It all depends on the vibe generated by the movie.

·
Registered
27,181 Posts
Tarding has a lot to do with it. When a movie as flawed as TDK can have a rating of 9 that just says it all.

·
Registered
7,516 Posts
If a movie belongs to a strict franchise, it's quite clear that most people seeing and rating it will be fans of the respective franchise. That is why action and comic book movies will generally get a higher rating. It's like the (mentioned above) TV series example. Movies for the general public with sufficient votes though will usually have the fairest score. Newer movies are usually rated by 'positive' critics at first for some reason, but I have seen the exact opposite for a few titles, in which the initial score was lower than the final score. It all depends on the vibe generated by the movie.
Yeah obviously there's a bit of "fanboy" voting going on. But still, it's a bit of an issue for credibility when you have Avengers at 8,2; Racing Bull at 8,3 and Taxi Driver at 8,4 :p.

·
Premium Member
21,076 Posts
Tarding has a lot to do with it. When a movie as flawed as TDK can have a rating of 9 that just says it all.
Not really, there are close to 3 million titles on Imdb, whether some titles get hyped is pretty much insignificant. Even then, I bet there are plenty of people who gave TDK one star just because of the hype.

·
Registered
27,181 Posts
Not really, there are close to 3 million titles on Imdb, whether some titles get hyped is pretty much insignificant. Even then, I bet there are plenty of people who gave TDK one star just because of the hype.
Probably far more sheep that gave it 9 or 10 just because. I'm pretty sure whatever formula they use would filter out ridiculous ratings like 1 or 2 anyway.

·
Rankings Master
15,648 Posts
Yeah obviously there's a bit of "fanboy" voting going on. But still, it's a bit of an issue for credibility when you have Avengers at 8,2; Racing Bull at 8,3 and Taxi Driver at 8,4 :p.
As more people vote for Avengers, its score will continue to fall. Since it's a new movie, it is seen by more people than raging Bull and Taxi Driver. These 2 classics will have the same score, while Avengers will probably reach 8.0.

·
Registered
15,733 Posts
its the publics taste, ofc is going to be questionable

that being said serious respect for all those who put the likes of Planet Earth and Blue Planet with such high scores, they are stunning stunning works of art, possibly the best visual media can get

·
Registered
27,181 Posts
its the publics taste, ofc is going to be questionable

that being said serious respect for all those who put the likes of Planet Earth and Blue Planet with such high scores, they are stunning stunning works of art, possibly the best visual media can get
Plus Attenborough's god tier narrating. Some of the shots they got were insane and once you read how much time and money they invested you automatically understand why.

·
Premium Member
21,076 Posts
Probably far more sheep that gave it 9 or 10 just because. I'm pretty sure whatever formula they use would filter out ridiculous ratings like 1 or 2 anyway.
Well, obviously no system is perfect, but I'd say it's still the best there is at the moment. Even the most obscure movies often have a grade or a comment and some other bit of info.

·
Registered
27,181 Posts
Well, obviously no system is perfect, but I'd say it's still the best there is at the moment. Even the most obscure movies often have a grade or a comment and some other bit of info.
It's about as good as it gets, just pointing out that there obvious examples of movies with severely inflated scores. Nolan movies in general are all overrated and the ratings for TV shows seem to be ridiculously high in comparison.

·
Registered
15,733 Posts
Plus Attenborough's god tier narrating. Some of the shots they got were insane and once you read how much time and money they invested you automatically understand why.
I saw him at Bristol Zoo once :lol: (they edit quite a few of the docs at BBC Bristol iirc) such a legend and national treasure, doesn't seem to stop either! One minute he's retired, the next at the South Pole filming again :worship:

·
Premium Member
21,076 Posts
It's about as good as it gets, just pointing out that there obvious examples of movies with severely inflated scores. Nolan movies in general are all overrated and the ratings for TV shows seem to be ridiculously high in comparison.
Yeah, true, though plenty of old movies were also hyped in their own time, often with no reason at all, but since it all predated the internet it's not reflected in their scores. The new movies will keep suffering from 'Nolan effect' I guess, it can't be helped :)

I like going by rottentomatoes better
I usually check them too, but I don't like their system too much, the movie critics often take themselves far too seriously. The general public voting on Imdb may be more crude, but at least it's more-less free from self-conceit :p

1 - 20 of 104 Posts