Mens Tennis Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Despite all his successes I'm struggling to warm up to Djokovic. His off-court personality is another topic but I'm struggling to like him mainly because his style of play.

His style of tennis while being absolute rock solid and reliable, is just not that exciting to watch.

1 - He plays a "Semi-pusher" style of tennis. More aggressive than Murray, but nowhere near like Federer's. Notice how even when Federer loses against Djokovic, Federer's winners count is always significantly higher.

2 - His plays solid percentage tennis 99% of the time. Doesn't go for too much, doesn't go for too little.

3 - He has neither the elegance of Federer, nor the apparent tenacity of Nadal.

4 - Unlike Federer who is constantly attacking and has a huge variety in his arsenal, Djokovic wins his points by simply out-rallying opponents with deep ground-strokes.

5 - Notice how a Djokovic-Murray match always tends to put people to sleep, and a Djokovic-Nadal match can put people into a Coma.

I've started this topic because now that Federer is reaching the end of his career I'm worried that I'll stop watching tennis altogether as there's no one exciting for me to root for....

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Spoiled brats. You have Dimitrov to root for, why it has to be a champion ?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Djokovic is actually far more aggressive player in federer-djokovic matchup from baseline. Federer "aggressiveness" is purely relies on his serve: good serve=>putaway/volley or good serve=>fh from good position=>volley. At least Djokovic can boss rallies on return, meanwhile federer is slicing and defending 95% of the time on return. Winners means shit when one opponent had a very good serve. Djokovic is outhitting federer in baseline winners at rallies in 3+ shots since forever.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I guess I ran root for Dimitrov but I can't rely on him playing at least 3-4 matches in a slam.

These days I'm finding myself rooting for Karlovic, at least it's fun to watch him slamming down rockets.

Also I enjoy watching Kyrgios. He is a spoiled and cocky brat but he can at least provide some entertainment on court.

·
|
15,485 Posts
Nadal-Djokvoic = coma?
The 6 hour AO Final between Nadal and Djokovic is the most talked about match since 2008 Wimbledon, and it was spoken about so much because even people who rarely watch tennis became glued to the screen.
They even talked about it on ESPN First Take (a show that NEVER discusses tennis EVER) because Stephen A. Smith and Skip Bayless were both in awe of it.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Maybe you should start to root for Jo-Wilfried Tsonga with his huge risk tennis. He either hits a clean winner or the ball is miles out. Tsonga sounds like a guy you sincerely like.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I guess I ran root for Dimitrov but I can't rely on him playing at least 3-4 matches in a slam.

These days I'm finding myself rooting for Karlovic, at least it's fun to watch him slamming down rockets.

Also I enjoy watching Kyrgios. He is a spoiled and cocky brat but he can at least provide some entertainment on court.
Federer fans :lol:

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
Why would it be compulsory to like the guy who's winning a lot?
not compulsory, but it sure helps if you enjoy the guy who is winning. Can tell you that it sucks when you watch your favs lose all the time and the guys you don't like watching clean up and look smug while doing it.

·
External factor expert
4,173 Posts

GTFO, cant believe I took you serious.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Despite all his successes I'm struggling to warm up to Djokovic. His off-court personality is another topic but I'm struggling to like him mainly because his style of play.

His style of tennis while being absolute rock solid and reliable, is just not that exciting to watch.

1 - He plays a "Semi-pusher" style of tennis. More aggressive than Murray, but nowhere near like Federer's. Notice how even when Federer loses against Djokovic, Federer's winners count is always significantly higher.
Federer's unforced error count is also much higher. Do you really like seeing Federer hit the ball into the net or long for no reason whatsoever? Federer cannot win when the rally goes long, so with Djokovic he has to try to go for broke early in the point. This way he also avoids letting Djokovic get into the rhythm. But watching unforced errors is, IMHO worse than watching aggressive rallies where shots are falling into the court.

2 - His plays solid percentage tennis 99% of the time. Doesn't go for too much, doesn't go for too little.
Yes thats better than watching Unforced Errors. Note that even with 99% tennis, his shots are deep and into the corners and very aggressive. He is always trying to hit winners. He does not just hit the balls back into opponents hands -- which is boring to watch -- like Ferrer (and what Murray used to do, and even Nadal does a lot of).

3 - He has neither the elegance of Federer, nor the apparent tenacity of Nadal.
Agree that he does not have the elegance, but he is more tenacious than Nadal, and is a smart, fighter. He is a monster tennis machine. I love watching construct points and outsmart his opponents. I love watching Djokovic hit amazing returns off good serves. I love watching him hit amazing angles. I love watching him hit down the line winners with backhand.

4 - Unlike Federer who is constantly attacking and has a huge variety in his arsenal, Djokovic wins his points by simply out-rallying opponents with deep ground-strokes.
5 - Notice how a Djokovic-Murray match always tends to put people to sleep, and a Djokovic-Nadal match can put people into a Coma.
See above. In fact, Nadal often plays counterpunching, where he just hits the ball meekly back to opponents hands, and also hits the balls short for the opponent to attack. I love watching Djokovic more than Nadal.

·
Registered
5,180 Posts

1 - ...

I've started this topic because now that Federer is reaching the end of his career I'm worried that I'll stop watching tennis altogether as there's no one exciting for me to root for....
Two-three seasons from now Oldovic might want to finish the points as quickly as possible too.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Between 2007 and 2009 when Federer was beating Djokovic most of the time, Federer's base rallying was much more solid than it is today, and he was also aggressively attacking at the same time.

It's only due to Federer's age that he's trying to end points early, and inevitably hitting more UEs in the process.

When Djokovic plays he just looks like a tennis machine with each shot, while Nadal looks like he's giving birth to shot he plays, especially on the forehand.

1 - 20 of 124 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.