Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
59,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The puritanical attitude towards showing any sort of emotion whatsoever is killing the sport, and it's killing my joy of watching it for sure.

Garza just got a point penalty on BP for "ball abuse." Oh no, the ball might have had its feelings hurt! This is ridiculous and the reason people treat tennis as a sport of snotty aristocrats- because it treats itself like one.

·
Banned
15,396 Posts
Looks like a silly thing to be upset about and as a reason to stop watching tennis.

·
~♥ Magnus Norman ♥~
3,328 Posts
I understand your frustration with penalties for showing emotion. As long as players aren't directing their emotion AT anyone (their opponent, officials, ballkids, etc.), I don't have a problem with people being frustrated on court (I don't think self-directed obscenities or even racquet smashes should be penalized).

That said, it is in the rules that "ball abuse" gets a warning/penalty if there's already a warning. It's one of the most frequent calls. So it's not like it's a random call out of nowhere.

Reactions: Han Solo

·
Registered
59,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I understand your frustration with penalties for showing emotion. As long as players aren't directing their emotion AT anyone (their opponent, officials, ballkids, etc.), I don't have a problem with people being frustrated on court (I don't think self-directed obscenities or even racquet smashes should be penalized).

That said, it is in the rules that "ball abuse" gets a warning/penalty if there's already a warning. It's one of the most frequent calls. So it's not like it's a random call out of nowhere.
I don't question that it's a rule. But it is an infuriatingly stupid rule. Make the player pay for the $2.50 ball if you value them so much. Don't change the match over a fucking tennis ball.

·
Registered
5,096 Posts
It's ironic, really, because only at the tour level is this kind of stuff a big deal.

Right now, we're hosting the West Coast Conference at my place of work. National-level, collegiate tournament wherein the best of the best colleges compete. Literally between every other point the player, his/her teammates, or the fans are shouting and screaming. It's one of the most amped up environments for tennis you can compete in or witness. And I hear the new NCAA rules are even allowing heckling during points.

Much less perverse, though still different enough from the tour, is the fact that at any other type of competitive level and especially the Junior level, there is little to no oversight of on-court behavior unless one of the two players officially call for such a thing. As a result, you get all kinds of personalities, characters, and expressions out there.

I don't think tennis should suddenly go stupid or anything, but it would be nice to inject the type of energy into professional level matches that is so much a part of the culture at every other level.

·
Registered
3,010 Posts

It's ironic, really, because only at the tour level is this kind of stuff a big deal.

Right now, we're hosting the West Coast Conference at my place of work. National-level, collegiate tournament wherein the best of the best colleges compete. Literally between every other point the player, his/her teammates, or the fans are shouting and screaming. It's one of the most amped up environments for tennis you can compete in or witness. And I hear the new NCAA rules are even allowing heckling during points.

Much less perverse, though still different enough from the tour, is the fact that at any other type of competitive level and especially the Junior level, there is little to no oversight of on-court behavior unless one of the two players officially call for such a thing. As a result, you get all kinds of personalities, characters, and expressions out there.

I don't think tennis should suddenly go stupid or anything, but it would be nice to inject the type of energy into professional level matches that is so much a part of the culture at every other level.
Man, I always mix you two, guys. Typically sound and good posts, similar styles, similar names, even avatars are kinda similar. I would say I am off topic, but the topic. can't. be. found. so I guess it's ok :devil:

·
Registered
12,617 Posts
I don't question that it's a rule. But it is an infuriatingly stupid rule. Make the player pay for the $2.50 ball if you value them so much. Don't change the match over a fucking tennis ball.
In basketball if a player throws a ball away from an official its a technical. In football if a player spikes the ball in anger its a 15 yard unsportsmanlike conduct penalty. Tennis is hardly the only sport that punishes infantile bursts of anger that delay the game or endanger others.

·
Registered
5,096 Posts
Man, I always mix you two, guys. Typically sound and good posts, similar styles, similar names, even avatars are kinda similar. I would say I am off topic, but the topic. can't. be. found. so I guess it's ok :devil:
If it makes you feel better, I confuse our ID's as well. :eek: I'm usually like, "I don't remember writing this."

·
~♥ Magnus Norman ♥~
3,328 Posts
If it makes you feel better, I confuse our ID's as well. :eek: I'm usually like, "I don't remember writing this."
Haha, that's amazing! I think I've done that occasionally too. :)

Reactions: BackhandDTL

·
Registered
635 Posts
1. I agree with you completely, OP, but hyperbole is hyperbole. You're not gonna stop watching tennis.
2. How is this thread 11 posts in and no one has found a way to steer it towards Nadal/Djokovic hate yet? C'mon MTF, you're slippin'!

·
Registered
27,241 Posts
I stopped reading the live commentary thread due to your incessant and incorrect use of the term choke, so this seems fair.

·
Registered
59,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
1. I agree with you completely, OP, but hyperbole is hyperbole. You're not gonna stop watching tennis.
It's kinda hyperbole, but it is also somewhat true. I have watched about a match a day this year, by far the least I have watched since I started watching tennis, and this is the main reason. Today, I watched part of Ferrer-Ymer (because I was sleeping), part of Nadal-Fognini/Tipsy-Simon (flipping back and forth), had class and had to leave. Came back during Robredo-Granollers. Two naturally emotional players who have toned it down for the benefit of the PR machine, which is upsetting. Quit watching once Tommy took control. Watched 5 minutes of Garza-Menendez that night, saw point penalty, turned it off in total disgust

And leng jai, I apologize, but I stand by my core ideology that a good third of tennis matches are chokes. Just the nature of the sport.

·
Premium Member
20,653 Posts
The puritanical attitude towards showing any sort of emotion whatsoever is killing the sport, and it's killing my joy of watching it for sure.

Garza just got a point penalty on BP for "ball abuse." Oh no, the ball might have had its feelings hurt! This is ridiculous and the reason people treat tennis as a sport of snotty aristocrats- because it treats itself like one.
I presume the "ball abuse" rule exists to
a) deter players from whacking balls into the crowd, thereby risking to injure a spectator who will then sue the tournament; and

b) deter players from whacking balls into the crowd or otherwise whacking them "away" -- which will upset the balance of having a certain number of balls in play that have the same amount of wear on them until the next introduction of 'new balls'. So a serving player could keep "angrily" whacking balls away to where they can't be retrieved, and then a new ball has to be put into play, then that serving player maybe has an advantage for having balls with less wear on them to serve with... even though it was not the time for new balls yet.

I don't think the rule exists in order to stifle emotion or be puritanical -- that's just a side effect.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
I presume the "ball abuse" rule exists to
a) deter players from whacking balls into the crowd, thereby risking to injure a spectator who will then sue the tournament; and

b) deter players from whacking balls into the crowd or otherwise whacking them "away" -- which will upset the balance of having a certain number of balls in play that have the same amount of wear on them until the next introduction of 'new balls'. So a serving player could keep "angrily" whacking balls away to where they can't be retrieved, and then a new ball has to be put into play, then that serving player maybe has an advantage for having balls with less wear on them to serve with... even though it was not the time for new balls yet.

I don't think the rule exists in order to stifle emotion or be puritanical -- that's just a side effect.
Exactly. There are practical reasons for the rule to exist.

·
Registered
11,773 Posts
Excuses, excuses everywhere.

Do it and stop crying to us about it, who cares. I guess you just weren't a real tennis fan anyway.
So true. I don't know why people feel the need to announce they are going to stop watching tennis or they are going to leave the forum. Are we supposed to talk them down off the ledge? :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 45 Posts