Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would would he have gotten to? top 3? slam winner?

·
Registered
29,235 Posts
He'd be a solid top tenner, I don't dare guess further.

·
Registered
44,896 Posts
Ferrer on the other hand wouldn't have the same movement and speed and thus would stop polluting the Top 10.

1.73m is a burden only for the guys that try to play fancy tennis.
We're talking about if he had a better serve though, not about if he was taller would he have a better serve. :shrug:

But then I suppose his serve is near as good as it gets for his height.

·
Registered
20,731 Posts
He'd have been top10 for more of his career. 8/9 or so.

The lack of serve is a pretty big deal for him, whether you're talking about aggressive Youzhny v1.0, or the more thoughtful v2.0, it hurts both styles a lot. Could maybe have got away with it if he had the returns of a Davy or Ferrer, but he doesn't.

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
We're talking about if he had a better serve though, not about if he was taller would he have a better serve. :shrug:

But then I suppose his serve is near as good as it gets for his height.
What people don't understand is that being tall is not just pure length of your body and reach. It's natural physical power as well.

Tsonga is 1.88m and a freakin' horse while Almagro is 1.83m and a wimp.

Height is a huge factor in tennis, and even a few centimeters make a huge difference.

·
Registered
8,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
misha peaked at 8 in the ranking with basically no serve, two slam semis, 2 quarters and a scattering of 4th rounds. Even a slighly better serve could of seen a slam final. I really do think top 3 was realistic, his game is one of the most rounded, not relying on anything and probably owns the best slice bh on tour.

·
Registered
20,731 Posts
misha peaked at 8 in the ranking with basically no serve, two slam semis, 2 quarters and a scattering of 4th rounds. Even a slighly better serve could of seen a slam final. I really do think top 3 was realistic, his game is one of the most rounded, not relying on anything and probably owns the best slice bh on tour.
Top3 before Murray and Djoko came on the scene maybe.

06 possibly? Guys like Davy, Blake and Ljubo were 3 then - with a better serve Youzhny is in that class.

·
Registered
612 Posts
What people don't understand is that being tall is not just pure length of your body and reach. It's natural physical power as well.

Height is a huge factor in tennis, and even a few centimeters make a huge difference.

Almagro can generate quite a lot of power in his ground stroke and serve. Not sure why you use him as an example

·
Registered
12,577 Posts

I have no idea what you are talking about (and let's be honest, you probably don't either) but Almagro has a damn good serve for his height.

·
Onwards and Upwards!
46,427 Posts
The only time Youzhny would ever get that far up in the rankings was in 2006. And even then, that's pushing it. Nowadays, he's low top 10 with a better serve.

·
Registered
13,751 Posts
Top 3 yes, slam winner no.

With a reliable serve it's possible he'd be a lot more confident as a player and a confident in-form Youzhny rips pushers and grinders, the dominant styles in tennis today, to pieces. (It's also possible that even with a better serve he'd be a nervous, nutcase).

He also has variety and talent to disrupt the games of big hitters.

And yes, obviously you can play this game with every player in the game.

·
Banned
34,908 Posts
Misha's problem isn't his serve, although it also isn't a major weapon, either. His problem is the fact he doesn't have a first-shot weapon or power. Federer has his serve+forehand, Djokovic movement+backhand+return, Nadal forehand, Murray backhand+movement. Youzhny doesn't have that type of weapon, so he never was going to win a slam. He's a lot like many other guys, who do a lot of things well, but nothing well enough on a consistent basis to be an elite player.

·
Banned
34,908 Posts
Variety doesn't win grand slams. Let's get real. Misha has great feel on the ball and a great ability to redirect shots, but feel isn't going to beat a guy like Djokovic. Feel isn't beating Federer or post-2007 Nadal. You have to bring more to the table. Misha has been and is increasingly vulnerable to getting outhit, and that's something out of his control, he's at a power deficit. He also hits the ball flat, which means extra risk, which means higher chance of faltering.

I like Misha a lot, but let's not get carried away.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts