Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so why is that always the response when people say anything negative about women who choose to model for playboy, maxim or some other such men's magazine? this is one of the things that really drives me insane about my gender. we complain about being objectified on one hand yet on the other hand some of us say you should be able to use your body however you want, flaunt it etc. which i guess is valid in some ways, i mean if you think you look good wearing or not wearing certain amounts of clothing, i'm by no means suggesting that this means that you have to put up with men ogling you but then it bothers me that often times that's exactly why some women do that, because they define what's attractive to them as what's attractive to men and how men react to them. it makes my head hurt. :(
on wtaworld in a thread about jordan:rolleyes: someone posted this:
But, seriously, and just playing devil's advocate, how could women on the one hand use their image as sexual objects and prosper and on the other hand complain about being treated as a sexual object? Aren't they sort of complicit in their own treatment?
and my first reaction was well see that's the thing, those women who do use sex to make money i guess shouldn't complain :unsure:, but what about the rest of us? the one's who are also subjected to sexist behavior because those women somehow set some sort of precedent for what is acceptable way to think about women. :confused:
so anyway why i'm thinking about all this is that i'm a big james blake fan, and in his forum there was a thread about his girlfriend which included photographs she did for maxim. my response was well whatever,i'm sure she's a nice girl and it's his girlfriend so if he doesn't mind fine(as disappointing as i might find it), but i personally don't have a lot of respect for that kind of thing. and of course the immediate response is either a) you're jealous and b) if you've got it, flaunt it. :( well i can tell you, other than the fact that i think james is hot, there's nothing about jennifer scholle that i'm jealous of, and least of all the fact unlike her, i didn't get to pose nude for maxim. :rolleyes: a similar thing came up over some photos of ana ivanovic posing topless, and people concluded that it's great, she's 18 she's expressing her independence blah blah blah. of course there's the argument that none of it really matters, it's not really about sex, the female body is an art form blah blah blah...although i'm pretty sure it's not art enthusiasts that are reading those magazines. what i don't get is, how somewhere along the way women have gotten hoodwinked into thinking that taking your clothes off for all the world to see is the ultimate expression of your freedom/liberation. somehow the world has found a way to get women to do exactly what men want them to do ie. take their clothes off, while convicing them that this is somehow all about female empowerment. :retard: maybe i just don't get it, please feel free to let me in on it. :shrug: anyway i could have put this much better but it's one of those "heat of the moment" frustration things.:(

my next entry: how roger federer defies mathematical theory, or sort of anyway;).....

·
Miss Fabray
55,507 Posts
:hug:

·
Miss Fabray
55,507 Posts
:hug:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts