Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
6,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What stats/attributes would you rate players on? And if you want, how do you rank your favorite players?

The most advanced game out there is Tennis Elbow (amazing game) but I'd like to see even more stats.

I'd like to see variable topspin for forehand and backhand, separately. I'd also like to see a horizontal quickness and a vertical quickness. I'd also like to see a confidence or "mental health" attribute that would vary, and different mental types for players. If your player is a mental "frontrunner" then he would have supreme confidence on winning streaks, but his confidence would fall in losing situations. Whereas a "grinder" would have a more stable confidence but it wouldn't peak so much during the good times, etc etc

I'd also like to see specific day-to-day ailments, bodypart specific, like "sore right shoulder" or "sore lower back" etc.

How would you all do it?

·
Registered
9,401 Posts
The lack of different attributes is one thing that annoys me about TS4. And the players being so close statistically is crap. You can play the same way with every player (just like real life hurr hurr)

Keep everything they have already, add in footwork (definitely distinct from pure speed), resilience, creativity and tactical attributes at the very least.

Also maybe different categories for first and second serve. You could break groundstrokes into power and placement. Different attributes for slice and top spin.

OT but is Tennis Elbow that good then? Was thinking about buying it.

·
Banned
6,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The lack of different attributes is one thing that annoys me about TS4. And the players being so close statistically is crap. You can play the same way with every player (just like real life hurr hurr)

Keep everything they have already, add in footwork (definitely distinct from pure speed), resilience, creativity and tactical attributes at the very least.

Also maybe different categories for first and second serve. You could break groundstrokes into power and placement. Different attributes for slice and top spin.
You ever play Tennis Elbow? It's far superior to everything else. Footwork is rolled into a stat for each shot called "consistency," and shot placement into "precision."

·
Registered
9,401 Posts
I haven't but I'm thinking about buying it. It certainly seems far more realistic in terms of physics. That seems an odd way to define footwork but looking at the other categories they've got almost everything.

·
Banned
6,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I haven't but I'm thinking about buying it. It certainly seems far more realistic in terms of physics. That seems an odd way to define footwork but looking at the other categories they've got almost everything.
Well footwork contributes to consistency, so it's just rolled up in there. To have a consistent forehand, for example, you need good footwork.

But yeah, it's a great game. Lots of great mods too. Plus playing from court level or first person adds a new experience for sure.

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
What stats/attributes would you rate players on? And if you want, how do you rank your favorite players?

The most advanced game out there is Tennis Elbow (amazing game) but I'd like to see even more stats.

I'd like to see variable topspin for forehand and backhand, separately. I'd also like to see a horizontal quickness and a vertical quickness. I'd also like to see a confidence or "mental health" attribute that would vary, and different mental types for players. If your player is a mental "frontrunner" then he would have supreme confidence on winning streaks, but his confidence would fall in losing situations. Whereas a "grinder" would have a more stable confidence but it wouldn't peak so much during the good times, etc etc

I'd also like to see specific day-to-day ailments, bodypart specific, like "sore right shoulder" or "sore lower back" etc.

How would you all do it?
Have been wanting all these changes made to Tennis Elbow myself. Movement towards the net is far too slow for many players regardless of how fast their overall speed rating is, and it's just ridiculous how much topspin someone like Nadal uses on his BH because his overall topspin rating is high. Connecting how low your slice is to your topspin rating is another issue that needs finetuning. A psyche rating mechanism is also sorely need, though it should have separate 'frontrunner', 'stability' and 'high pressure' ratings to reflect that some players excel in all those areas while others only in one or two. Top Spin 4's streakiness attribute is nice in this regard, and it works quite well for someone like Djokovic, but it's far too limited to reflect the actual influence psyche has on the game.

You ever play Tennis Elbow? It's far superior to everything else. Footwork is rolled into a stat for each shot called "consistency," and shot placement into "precision."
I've found that significantly increasing the 'net presence' rating is the only way to effectively improve a player's footwork on and behind the baseline. Makes no sense since the ability to take the ball early (the point of the rating, I believe) is quite different from being able to quickly adjust to awkward balls anywhere on the court. It's something that really hurts players like Ferrer and Nadal who shouldn't have exceptionally high 'net presence' ratings but definitely have some of the best footwork on the tour. The internet multiplayer mod ITST seems to correct this but it goes to far by giving everyone good footwork. It's also another rating that should be adjusted by wing considering how strong some big men are with running forehands while being rubbish going towards their BH side. Top Spin 4 does something for this with their 'reach shot' ability but, again it's quite limited.

·
Banned
6,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Have been wanting all these changes made to Tennis Elbow myself. Movement towards the net is far too slow for many players regardless of how fast their overall speed rating is, and it's just ridiculous how much topspin someone like Nadal uses on his BH because his overall topspin rating is high. Connecting how low your slice is to your topspin rating is another issue that needs finetuning. A psyche rating mechanism is also sorely need, though it should have separate 'frontrunner', 'stability' and 'high pressure' ratings to reflect that some players excel in all those areas while others only in one or two. Top Spin 4's streakiness attribute is nice in this regard, and it works quite well for someone like Djokovic, but it's far too limited to reflect the actual influence psyche has on the game.

I've found that significantly increasing the 'net presence' rating is the only way to effectively improve a player's footwork on and behind the baseline. Makes no sense since the ability to take the ball early (the point of the rating, I believe) is quite different from being able to quickly adjust to awkward balls anywhere on the court. It's something that really hurts players like Ferrer and Nadal who shouldn't have exceptionally high 'net presence' ratings but definitely have some of the best footwork on the tour. The internet multiplayer mod ITST seems to correct this but it goes to far by giving everyone good footwork. It's also another rating that should be adjusted by wing considering how strong some big men are with running forehands while being rubbish going towards their BH side. Top Spin 4 does something for this with their 'reach shot' ability but, again it's quite limited.
Agree with you on everything. Good points.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts