Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which would you choose? Keep in mind that this wouldn't necessarily affect the outcome of the tournament. For example, if you were to pick a semi final match from the past, your player would still have to go on and beat whoever made the final from the other half. Feel free to pick active favourites and retired favourites. Obviously this is purely hypothetical and mostly just for fun but try to keep it within the bounds of reality. If you support Melzer it's likely you'd pick his match against Nadal at RG 2010 but he was obviously never going to win that so try to keep it to matches you think your player could've won if you can.

Here are mine:

Del Potro vs Federer (French Open 2009). The Wimbledon semi final against Djokovic is also a good shout but I feel JMDP would have had a better chance against Soderling at RG than Murray at Wimbledon. He certainly could've won the latter but I actively think he would've won the French Open in 2009 had Federer not defeated him from 2 sets to 1 down.

Monfils vs Djokovic (Paris Masters 2009). Monfils made two Paris Bercy finals back to back but I think Soderling deserved a masters title so I'll leave 2010 alone. Monfils also came a lot closer in this match and it really sucks that he doesn't have a masters title.

Hewitt vs Agassi (U.S. Open 2002) There are several choices for Lleyton. I'm not going to be naive and suggest he had a chance in the 2004 U.S. Open final, and I'm happy with Safin winning the 2005 Australian Open. So instead I've gone with the U.S. Open where Hewitt was defending champion. Had he not lost to Agassi I think he would've beaten Sampras again as he pretty much owned the guy, although this was late career Sampras of course. I'm sure Sampras wanted to go out on a high but I believe his legendary final slam title was made a lot easier by Agassi beating Hewitt.

Safin vs Johansson (Australian Open 2002). This one is an easy choice. If Safin hadn't gone out the night before, he probably would have routined Johansson, and he'd have 3 slams to his name instead of 2. Even 13 years later the result of this match still annoys me as it feels so undeserved. Safin alone is to blame for his actions but if I could change only one result in any player's career, it would most definitely be this.

Moya vs Verkerk (French Open 2003). Really frustrating match. After coming from 2 sets down, to then lose 8-6 in the fifth really hurt. I actually think this was Moya's best chance at a second slam (I don't think he could've defeated Sampras at the Australian Open). I think had he won this he would've beaten Coria in the semis and then Ferrero would've been favourite in the final but not by a devastating margin.

I may add some more later.

·
Registered
15,228 Posts
For Federer, I can't choose between Rome 06 and Wim 08 but if pushed then Rome 06. Also USO 09, that was a travesty. Sorry for 3 choices but they change the entire course of history.

·
External factor expert
4,173 Posts
Djokovic vs Federer 2007 USO. Djokovic was the better player but felt the pressure as a first time finalist. I believe if Djokovic somehow managed to win that one Federer wouldnt be considered goat right now.

·
Sitzen ist fürn Arsch
51,027 Posts
these finals

Magnus Norman vs. Kuerten, French Open 2000
Pat Rafter vs Sampras, Wimbledon 2000
Stefan Edberg vs Chang, French Open 1992

:sad:

·
Registered
894 Posts
Djokovic RG2013 SF - the one match on RG where Novak was just as good as Rafa. In other matches Rafa was clearly better.

Nadal 2014 AO Final - double career slam

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Berdych
2010 Wimbledon final (v Nadal)
2012 Madrid Masters final (v Federer)
2014 Australian Open semifinal (v Wawrinka)
2014 Oeiras ATP250 final (v Berlocq)
2014 US Open quarterfinal (v Cilic)
2015 Monte Carlo Masters final (v Djokovic)

2012 US Open semi (v Murray) and 2015 Australian Open semi (v Murray) crossed my mind, though I don't think he would've won against Djokovic in either final, so probably nothing really lost there.

But whatever, you can't change the past :p

·
Registered
15,791 Posts
2004 French Open SF. Henman v Coria.

People wax lyrical about Coria's disgusting choke in that final but the fact remians that Henman was a set and break up before imploading. Had he won I am confident he could've beaten Gaudio who was always a huge mug. It would have hilarious to think that he had more French Open's than Sampras, Djokovic and McEnroe combined. Not to mention the fact that the latter had promised to commentate naked in Henman had made the final. His roast of Chela in the QF infront of a bemused French crowd is still one of the most delicious things I have witnessed.

a close second is the 2002 Wimbledon SF but he really didn't even get close to winning that so it doesn't feel so bad, still expect he would've beaten Nalbandian, don't think he would've done so to either Goran in 98, Agassi in 99 or Rafter in 01.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
these finals

Magnus Norman vs. Kuerten, French Open 2000
Pat Rafter vs Sampras, Wimbledon 2000
Stefan Edberg vs Chang, French Open 1992

:sad:
Yeah, it really sucks that Rafter didn't win Wimbledon. I'm glad Goran won it in 2001 but it probably would've been sweeter if Rafter had also won in 2000.
This thread has been done several times...
I don't see anything wrong with updating them as time goes by.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Murray-Federer US Open final 2008. If he'd won that I think he'd have 10 slams by now.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
Safin: vs Johansson AO 2002
Federer: vs Nadal AO 2009
Djokovic: vs Nadal FO 2013
Coria: vs Gaudio FO 2004
Nalbandian: vs Hewitt Wimby 2002
Haas: vs Kavelnikov Olympics 2000
Rafter: vs Sampras Wimby 2000

·
Registered
7,042 Posts
Federer vs Nadal - Australian Open 2009 : plenty losses to choose from but I'd go with this one as Federer would have 5 titles in 3 different Slams and Nadal wouldn't have the career Grand Slam

Tsonga vs Djokovic - Australian Open 2008 : self-explanatory, Tsonga would be a Grand Slam champion

·
Banned
15,396 Posts
Djokovic - Nadal RG SF 2013 - no question about it. The biggest disgrace in recent tennis history would be rectified and fixed.

Actually I would just replace Pascal Maria with an unbiased, decent, competent umpire and Novak would have won it in 3 or 4 sets.

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
My first thought: The doubles holde medal match 2004 in Athens. But I'de miss the pictures of a crying Kiwi with a silver medal at his neck and a laurel wreath in his hair. So I'll go for a childhood trauma:

R16, Stockholm 1987:
Magnus Gustafsson d. Eric Jelen 7:6 6:2 :sobbing:

The draw was wide open for Eric, and Gustafsson was ranked outside top 100. I had no idea he was a future top 10 player.

·
Registered
8,035 Posts
1) Djokovic vs Nadal FO 2013 semifinal. It was a heart-breaking defeat for Djokovic and after it Novak lost consecutive GS finals (Wimbledon, US Open). If Djoker had won this match he would've won RG against Ferrer(probability 99%) and maybe would've added to his trophies Wimbledon or US Open that year.
2) Djokovic vs Wawrinka FO 2015 final. Nadal out, Murray out and still no glory! But Wawrinka played incredibly.
3) Djokovic vs Federer FO 2011 semifinal. Djokovic looked unstoppable but Federer played a brilliant game to stop the monster. If Djoker'd won this match he would have big chance in final against Nadal that year.
4) Djokovic vs Nadal FO 2012 final. Djokovic would've made history with this win (4 consecutive grand slams!) but it wasn't to be.

Roland Garros is hell for Nole fans :(

1 - 20 of 22 Posts