Registered
5,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rebound Ace
Fast slippery, low bouncing grass
Fast USO HC
SLOW clay
Carpet

I would have to think Nole and Rafa's domination would cease other then on clay and maybe in Australia but they were struggle the rest of the seasons under faster conditons. Same with Murray's results going downhill. Maybe a good counterpuncher on grass like or at the USO like Hewitt. Tsonga and Berdych being major threats and slam winners under the old conditions? Fed dominating?

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
I really think Del Potro would be hurt by old conditions. His serve is not great for a guy his height and he is not even that great on grass at current conditions...I can only imagine that old grass would be worse. Ferrer beat him on slow clay in Davis Cup, but a faster surface would have really helped him. He would still be good on hardcourts though.

·
Registered
528 Posts
It would almost surely help Murray. Counterpunchers need faster courts to redirect pace.

It would probably hurt Rafa and Nole somewhat, and help Federer obviously.

Del Potro is an interesting case. He'd be better on slower clay, worse on grass and its unclear about the USO, but I think he'd still be great there.

·
29,645 Posts
:haha: Del Potro would be one of the worst affected. The faster the court the less rhythmic his game is.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Hard to tell but from top players i would say Nole and Rafa would be worse, because their game is about movements, deffense, long rallies, on faster surfaces like old grass and faster HC, indoor carpet they would be worse.
Murray is hard to tell, with his style it depends if he adapt- with faster surfaces it would be easy for guys hit through him, but the truth is also it can help him redirect pace and absorb it, even his return on faster surfaces could be more dangerous, also Andy when on has good serve and volleys. So by Andy it is hard to tell.
By Roger, he has good serve, volleys could play great on carpet, faster HC, old grass, but big hitter would more easily outhit him like Berdych, Delpo, Soderling, Tsonga did it in last 2 years.
Delpo and Soderling would have more problems with faster surfaces, because they need time for their big groundstrokes, also their volleys are horrible so they can´t even help themselfes with net game so play from baseline with powerfull FH-BH is harder when you have less time, so they would be in worse situation than on today´s slower surfaces
Slower clay- it would just help Nole and Rafa for total domination on clay, nobody would came close to them, maybe Ferrer would be better there too with his stamina, consistency and return.

·
Registered
27,321 Posts
nothing would change, if anything delpo would dominate even more.
Del Potro on 90s grass would dominate the comedy channel.

Reactions: asmazif

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
nothing would change, if anything delpo would dominate even more.
is that possible, though? have the upper boundaries of dominance not been reached by Del Potro? He's nearly in the top 10, and would be if it weren't for giants Almagro and Tipsarevic, for god's sake!

·
Banned
10,825 Posts

·
Anathemaniac
41,908 Posts

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
I´ll go with Fed domination almost everywhere but Roland Garros. Something like years 2006 and 2007 with Nadal winning in Paris.

Also with some exceptions like Novak winning Australia or French, maybe US Open ? Sadly I can´t see player who could have a upper hand among these three.

·
Banned
18,509 Posts
Nadal is modern Borg, so he'd still dominate grass where his lefty serve would be even more potent on low bouncing/skidding surface and do well in AO (in fact Nadal would dominate AO, considering clowns Agassi faced in his AO "domination"). At RG Nadal would probably win like 10 in a row, 'cause fast clay is why he lost in 2009 and got taken to 5 in 2011 by an all serve mug like Isner.

·
Registered
27,321 Posts
Nadal is modern Borg, so he'd still dominate grass where his lefty serve would be even more potent on low bouncing/skidding surface and do well in AO (in fact Nadal would dominate AO, considering clowns Agassi faced in his AO "domination"). At RG Nadal would probably win like 10 in a row, 'cause fast clay is why he lost in 2009 and got taken to 5 in 2011 by an all serve mug like Isner.
Yeah a 5% improvement on one of his serves would make up for the need to play actual grass court tennis.

·
Banned
18,509 Posts
Yeah a 5% improvement on one of his serves would make up for the need to play actual grass court tennis.
Nadal would win Wimbledon from the baseline - just like Agassi did.

·
Registered
27,321 Posts
Nadal would win Wimbledon from the baseline - just like Agassi did.
Yeah they're both baseliners - the similarities are uncanny.

Agassi didn't dominate grass either.

·
Banned
18,509 Posts
Yeah they're both baseliners - the similarities are uncanny.

Agassi didn't dominate grass either.
Agassi won Wimbledon once and since Nadal is a much better player than Agassi, he'd win it more than once. Simple logic. IMO he'd be horrible match up for Sampras with topspin to BH - To beat Nadal Sampras would probably have to serve @ 70%+ and play flawless tie-breaks. Second, with his best passing shots, he'd counter S&V'ers nicely.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts