Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Watching the match against Roger, I thought I was watching Wawrinka circa January 2014! He's dropped one set all tournament to Lajovic and then went on to win his next ten sets. He completely took the life out of the French crowd by demolishing Simon and then put on a serving/baseline clinic against Federer (another crowd favorite). The crowd doesn't phase this man. He's looking pretty much unbreakable at this point, which is evident by the fact that he's been broken ONCE in his last three matches.

Stan has won three of his five matches against Tsonga on clay, and has won the previous two matches. He has also won two of their three matches in best-of-five. Judging Stan's level to his level in his four set win in Davis Cup against Jo, I think Stan is playing significantly better now than then, as his baseline game is on fire right now. One also must wonder, with as few matches as Tsonga has played on the year, whether the lack of match play/conditioning might be starting to wear Jo down. He looked very shaky in the final three sets against Kei. Jo has also played nine of a possible ten sets in his past two matches, while Stan has only played six.

Against Djokovic (lets assume he makes it, but I am rooting for Murray), in five of the last six best-of-five matches against Djokovic, Stan has at least forced a fifth set. Will Djokovic be physically ready for a third physical best-of-five match in a row and be able to be totally effective against the Wawrinka groundstrokes? Only time will tell, although I suspect Andy will take a lot out of him. Since clay is the most physical surface, a five-setter after playing Rafa and then Andy would not be ideal for Novak. I also think that Stan is playing at a level akin to when he beat Novak in Australia in 2014, and I think that Stan has the belief that maybe a guy like Murray doesn't have (given Andy's losing streak to Rafa) that he can beat this guy.

What peak Wawrinka brings to the table is a monster serve (on the level of Raonic/Isner), but then also a very powerful, but consistent, ground game behind that serve, so that not only does an opponent have to get the ball back in play, but they must also try to then fend off the barrage of forceful groundstrokes that Wawrinka will then throw at you.

Stan Wawrinka will be lifting the trophy on Saturday!

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Wawrinka will win if he continue to hit like this..

It will not be a surprise if Djoker fail in the french again.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Stanimal will be caged on Sunday, unless he goes to Wizard of OZ and finds courage - but that is just a fairy tale.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Watching the match against Roger, I thought I was watching Wawrinka circa January 2014! He's dropped one set all tournament to Lajovic and then went on to win his next ten sets. He completely took the life out of the French crowd by demolishing Simon and then put on a serving/baseline clinic against Federer (another crowd favorite). The crowd doesn't phase this man. He's looking pretty much unbreakable at this point, which is evident by the fact that he's been broken ONCE in his last three matches.

Stan has won three of his five matches against Tsonga on clay, and has won the previous two matches. He has also won two of their three matches in best-of-five. Judging Stan's level to his level in his four set win in Davis Cup against Jo, I think Stan is playing significantly better now than then, as his baseline game is on fire right now. One also must wonder, with as few matches as Tsonga has played on the year, whether the lack of match play/conditioning might be starting to wear Jo down. He looked very shaky in the final three sets against Kei. Jo has also played nine of a possible ten sets in his past two matches, while Stan has only played six.

Against Djokovic (lets assume he makes it, but I am rooting for Murray), in five of the last six best-of-five matches against Djokovic, Stan has at least forced a fifth set. Will Djokovic be physically ready for a third physical best-of-five match in a row and be able to be totally effective against the Wawrinka groundstrokes? Only time will tell, although I suspect Andy will take a lot out of him. Since clay is the most physical surface, a five-setter after playing Rafa and then Andy would not be ideal for Novak. I also think that Stan is playing at a level akin to when he beat Novak in Australia in 2014, and I think that Stan has the belief that maybe a guy like Murray doesn't have (given Andy's losing streak to Rafa) that he can beat this guy.

What peak Wawrinka brings to the table is a monster serve (on the level of Raonic/Isner), but then also a very powerful, but consistent, ground game behind that serve, so that not only does an opponent have to get the ball back in play, but they must also try to then fend off the barrage of forceful groundstrokes that Wawrinka will then throw at you.

He is definately a threat. I've got money on him to win it. At 6.00 it's a good bet. The question mark with Wawrinks has always be CONSISTENCY. If he could maintain the form that won him the 2014 AO and has got him to this point here. He would have 20 slams by now and be world number one. But HE CANNOT. That's the problem

But Djokovic fanatics should be worried. It's going to be humiliating for them and Djokervic himself. If after finally getting past Nadal. He ends up losing again to a different player. And Djokervic is not going to keep this level up forever either. So no one knows what will happen next year if he falls short this year.

This is MAKE OR BREAK time for Djokervic. He really needs this FO if he is to seriously challenge Sampras, Nadal and Federer in GOATVILLE.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Wawrinka definitely has a good chance to win FO. But I don't think the match against Fed talks all about his form. Fed was terrible. Tsonga is also not good at defense either.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
He is definately a threat. I've got money on him to win it. At 6.00 it's a good bet. The question mark with Wawrinks has always be CONSISTENCY. If he could maintain the form that won him the 2014 AO and has got him to this point here. He would have 20 slams by now and be world number one. But HE CANNOT. That's the problem

But Djokovic fanatics should be worried. It's going to be humiliating for them and Djokervic himself. If after finally getting past Nadal. He ends up losing again to a different player. And Djokervic is not going to keep this level up forever either. So no one knows what will happen next year if he falls short this year.

This is MAKE OR BREAK time for Djokervic. He really needs this FO if he is to seriously challenge Sampras, Nadal and Federer in GOATVILLE.
Just eat the nadal loss and slink away for a while. Djokovic faltered once against Stan, but it won't happen again. Meanwhile Nadal lost to him twice since 2014.
I'm happy enough that the king was slain. It woukdnt be the first time in RG history an undeserving Swiss snatched the cup from the rightful victor.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Well it could happen. Djokervic is not invincible. Nadal simply hasnt got the form anymore. But to allow Nadal to pull it back to 4--4 in the first. Tells me a man like Wawrinka who is in blistering form will capitalize on any oportunities he gets.

He has blistering ground strokes. Devastating forehand and backhand. And finally got the monkey off his back beating Federer in straights in the qtrs.

He is 100% a danger man for Djokervic.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Anyone could beat that federer, no one else would've beaten this Nadal. Fed is old and in decline, djokovic played so well he made nadal look helpless

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Anyone could beat that federer, no one else would've beaten this Nadal. Fed is old and in decline, djokovic played so well he made nadal look helpless
That overrates the Djokovic performance for me a little. For sure he was very good, but Nadal was a shadow of what we have seen. Jack Sock took a set off him! It was a "roll of the dice" performance from the Spaniard, hoping that on the day the same familiar feelings would return and things would work. Sadly for him, we have learned over the years that he is a form player...and he just didn't have the form, for whatever reason.

I don't think Nole had better count his chickens just yet. Murray is looking as strong as he has in a couple of years, and Stan formidable on this surface. Work to do yet.

·
Registered
736 Posts
I also think that Stan is playing at a level akin to when he beat Novak in Australia in 2014,
And yet, even at a "level akin" to where he's at here and now at RG, Stan won that match in Melbourne in spite of winning fewer total points than Novak the entire match (153-161).

Point being, even when Stans absolutely peaking, he needs unusual luck/circumstance to beat Djokovic. And I don't think he'll beat Djokovic by losing the "total points won" stat to Novak for a second time in just over a year.

Not to mention that Fed is a very different player to Novak stylistically, so to use Stans win vs Fed is just not a very affective barometer anyways .

Of course there's Semis that need to be settled first....

·
The Master
1,102 Posts
Just eat the nadal loss and slink away for a while. Djokovic faltered once against Stan, but it won't happen again. Meanwhile Nadal lost to him twice since 2014.
I'm happy enough that the king was slain. It woukdnt be the first time in RG history an undeserving Swiss snatched the cup from the rightful victor.
Federer >>> Djokovic

·
Banned
15,396 Posts
I agree. He will beat Serena or Ivanovic or whoever he faces on Saturday. :haha:

On Sunday though he has no chance vs No1e. 0%, zilch, nada. Regardless of his level. Sorry to disappoint you.

·
Registered
736 Posts
But to allow Nadal to pull it back to 4--4 in the first. Tells me a man like Wawrinka who is in blistering form will capitalize on any oportunities he gets.
No shame in losing 4 straight games at RG to 9-time RG winner.

But if this "tells you" something about Novak and his vulnerability here at RG, than Stan losing a set to Lajovic should be screaming in your head like Charles Manson on coke "Don't count on me vs Djokovic!! Run for ze hills!! I've got no chance!!!"

·
The Master
1,102 Posts
I agree. He will beat Serena or Ivanovic or whoever he faces on Saturday. :haha:

On Sunday though he has no chance vs No1e. 0%, zilch, nada. Regardless of his level. Sorry to disappoint you.
Who do you hope wins RG for the women?

Hoping heavily for Ana here, easily my favourite WTA player.

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
Incredible there are still people that believe Novak can lose a single match until the end of 2015. Is a miracle when he loses a set!

Face it people, the CYGS is locked and sealed.

·
Registered
10,617 Posts
Of course not, Nole will be home in Serbia.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Stan will need to beat Tsonga first, then we'll talk about what he can do in the final.

Stan is 30 and has 1 slam and 1 masters to his name, whereas the other SF has a guy with 2 slams and multiple other titles and another with 8 slams, 20+ masters and long win streak behind him.

Let Stan get to the final, let us find out who ill get through from the other SF and then we'll talk.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts