Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nadal will be 35 by the end of the French Open in 2021. The oldest player to win the French Open was Andres Gimeno back in 1974, a 34 year old fellow Spaniard. The French Open is the most physically demanding of the four slams, and for Nadal to win it again at age 35 and 36 may prove to be too heavy an ask.

I still thank that Nadal is likely to win at least one more French Open. It would be mind blowing if both Federer and Nadal end their careers at 20 slams each (the most likely scenario if the 2020 FO is cancelled).

·
|
14,975 Posts
Rafa has a lot more French Open titles in him than Djokovic has Australian Open titles in him, that's for sure.
Did you see Djokovic at the AO? Its supposed to be Djokovic's baby, and he needed a 6-4 5th Set (after being down 2-sets-to-1) to beat Thiem after Rafa had already diluted Thiem's energy.
Whereas Rafa is still winning lopsided 4-setters in the French Open Final!
Oh, and Rafa has won 2 of the last 3 US Opens, so Rafa has more US Opens left in him than Djokovic too.
Rafa has just entered his US Open prime....

·
Registered
6,815 Posts
Nadal will be winning the Fench open as long as he wants. Even now, players can't take him to five sets at the French.

·
Registered
10,613 Posts
Nadal will be winning the Fench open as long as he wants. Even now, players can't take him to five sets at the French.
Sort of agree. I'd be curious about Thiem's and Djokovic' chances against him, though. I mean, Thiem especially has been edging closer and closer to Nadal in their past FO encounters.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Yes, Father Time is undefeated, but you would expect these threads regarding Nadal's longevity (particularly on clay) to cease. Whether Roland Garros is held this September/October or cancelled (weather conditions less favorable to maximize Rafa's advantages on clay, roof for Philippe Chatrier, yada yada, etc.), it's still Nadal at Roland Garros and you need to win three of five sets against the man. He's 93-2 (97.9% winning percentage); he's the betting, statistical, prohibitive, you name it favorite. The French Tennis Federation was planning to reveal his damn statue on the grounds this year. In terms of him losing, I'll believe when I see it (won't happen).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts