Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which players could possibly reach GOAT status?

I did small research which players could have won slams from 2004 (first year of Fed's dominance) till present day. Federer, Nadal and Djokovic won 27 out of 32 slams and denied many players from wining at least one slam. So here is the list of possible slam winners:

AO RG WIM USO

2004 Safin Gaudio Roddick Hewitt
2005 Safin Puerta Roddick Agassi
2006 Baghdatis Nalbandian Baghdatis Roddick
2007 Gonzales Davydenko Gasquet Davydenko
2008 Tsonga Monfils Safin Murray
2009 Roddick Soderling Roddick Del Potro
2010 Murray Soderling Berdych Youzhny
2011 Murray Murray Murray Murray :)p)

I picked up players who were closest in draw to win a particular slam and in case of final between of these 3 I took winner of other 2 semifinalists given their h2h. Obviously there could be other winners cause they beat many other good players during their run. If you look players in list ordered by number of slams it would be:

Agassi 9
Roddick, Murray (CYGS) 6
Safin 4
Hewit 3
Baghdatis, Davydenko, Soderling 2
Gaudio, Puerta, Nalbandian, Gonzales, Gasquet, Tsonga, Monfils, Del Potro, Youzhny, Berdich 1

Everybody in todays top 10 except Ferrer (although he might won USO 2007 over Davydenko) and Fish would have slam by now with Murray being dominant one.:angel:

·
29,645 Posts
I think Soderling's level was too high to be beaten that event.

Hewitt may have taken 05 Wimby and USO.

·
Banned
18,509 Posts
Mugray would still be slamless.

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
Grammar point: If there were no Federer...

This is one of the rare instances of English subjunctive. Since the situation is hypothetical and in the past, we use "were" instead of "was" for the singular.

Reactions: n8

·
Registered
9,716 Posts
It doesn't matter at all.......

How you add 35 years Andre Agassi to this list.

You must be kidding me

three guys (Fed, Nadal, DJok) from different years......

because Fed gets older that's why Djok takes control from it, also Nadal can't maintain his level ... that's the reason for Djoker to come out

So.... People have very short memory on it

·
Registered
13,393 Posts
King Oscar :shrug:

Probably Roddick, Safin, Hewitt and Ferrero.

·
Banned
3,513 Posts
Impossible to say with Fed, he defined this era and dominated more than anyone in history. With Fakervic and Nadull they're ATP creations, some other endurance bunnies would take their place and have just as much personality :eek:

·
Registered
9,432 Posts
Very interesting thread. I think though in 2005 Hewitt had a winning H2H against Roddick, or am I wrong?

·
Forum Umpire:, Gaston Gaudio,
124,506 Posts
The great what if scenario.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It doesn't matter at all.......

How you add 35 years Andre Agassi to this list.

You must be kidding me

three guys (Fed, Nadal, DJok) from different years......

because Fed gets older that's why Djok takes control from it, also Nadal can't maintain his level ... that's the reason for Djoker to come out

So.... People have very short memory on it
Agassi lost that 2005 USO final. Had he won that, he would have 9 slams (just an observation).

I wanted to see what "damage" Federer (mostly), Nadal and Djokovic did to other players in their careers. Obviously we would have some other players with 5+ slams like Roddick, Murray, Hewitt and Safin. Also some other talented players like Tsonga, Gonzales, Baghdatis, Nalby, Davy and Soda would have a slam at least.

·
Registered
27,317 Posts
Haas might have had a slam. Form player of AO 2006, and could have won Wimbledon 2009. Probably would have brainfarted anyone so doesn't matter.

Clearly Hewitt and Roddick got fucked over the most.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Grammar point: If there were no Federer...

This is one of the rare instances of English subjunctive. Since the situation is hypothetical and in the past, we use "were" instead of "was" for the singular.
This is one of those rare instances when correcting widely-used but incorrect grammar on a tennis forum doesn't actually add any positive value to a tennis discussion.

edit: and I know, neither does this.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts