Mens Tennis Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
4 sets? You underestimate Sampras on grass. I'd say he'd smoke Roddick in straights, with baked goods potentially being handed out.

But seriously, this is a joke thread, right?

·
Registered
13,139 Posts
Roddick, psh...no question...what about a real match...

2007 Wimbledon

Connors def Sampras
7-6, 2-6, 6-4, 6-3

·
Comparisons are Odious
10,541 Posts
If both were taking the match seriously, I'd go with Roddick.

Reactions: The_Nadal_effect

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
More Sampras.... There's no point in comparing an active player to a retired player. But you think Sampras would win, right? Why is that? Why would Sampras at 36 be able to beat Roddick who is a solid top ten player and also plays well on grass? If Sampras could beat roddick on grass, he would still be one of the top players, right? So why did he retire in the first place?

Sampras struggled with his game even before he retired. Why would he suddenly be a better player now, after being away for many years. Enough with these Sampras threads. He was a great player, but his career is over. Just like it will be over for every player at some point. There's a difference between a nice relaxed exhibition and a potential five set battle at GS.

·
Motherhater
5,571 Posts
I agree that there is no point to this.

As Pete would say, if it was one match only, best of 3, he could make it competitive (i.e. not embarrass himself, but not win either), nothing more.

Sampras had nothing left to give when he retired. His heart wasn't in it anymore.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
I see it like this:

A tennis legend who is 36 years old, will more or less still be able to produce tennis close to his best for a match or two if he's prepared well for it. The skills will still be there and the physique should hold up for a match or two.

The problems start when playing tournaments. Recovering from matches during tournaments is what makes it so hard to stay in top sports when you get older. This is the primary reason why Sampras would struggle to do well at Wimbledon in 2008 (he won't participate anyway). BUT on a given day, if well prepared and rested, he could still give the top players a run for their money on fast surfaces.

On a grass court, in a single match, I think Sampras could trouble anyone, except for Federer (in a real tournament match).

·
Registered
11,530 Posts
I agree that there is no point to this.

As Pete would say, if it was one match only, best of 3, he could make it competitive (i.e. not embarrass himself, but not win either), nothing more.

Sampras had nothing left to give when he retired. His heart wasn't in it anymore.
:worship:

Someone who actaully respects and supports Pete but isn't deluded about his abilities is great to see. The guy would be beaten in straights. Maybe 3 times out of 10 he could sneak a breaker set.

·
Registered
13,139 Posts
Wow, you guys really are serious...

Ok...well, let me tell you. In the summer time when the weather was fine and I had women on my mind, my mind...I did get a chance to see World Team Tennis live in Schenectady, NY(WTF is that!?) where I live! WTT is nothing more than a fun exhibition only some times, when these lower ranked players come against big names, they take it pretty seriously, they use it as a proving ground or shot at small glory. I saw a couple no names play Roddick, and try their hardest to test him, I watched Hingis, Kournakova....yada yada, and always these lower ranked "up and comers" would try to test them. Heneways...I watched Rik De Voest own Pete Sampras, he took the singles set 6-2 over Pete. What was the difference between the two? Well besides about 20 years, De Voest just pounded Pete from the baseline and had little trouble with returning Pete serve, Pete had to come up with some incredible vollies just to hold serve. If you remember, De Voest went on to lose in straight sets to John Isner at the US Open, De Voest is currently ranked 127 in the world. Does that answer your question about if he played a player ranked over a hundred and twenty spots higher(and can hit just about every shot better than De Voest)?

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
I think that Sampras would definitely triple-bagel Roddick because he won a meaningless exhibition.

I think he would also beat Nadal at the French open and cure cancer.

Reactions: KaxMisha

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
I think that Sampras would definitely triple-bagel Roddick because he won a meaningless exhibition.

I think he would also beat Nadal at the French open and cure cancer.
The cancer part is a stretch.

·
Registered
13,139 Posts
Wait here's a good question could Pete beat the top womens player still?

·
Registered
11,530 Posts
Wait here's a good question could Pete beat the top womens player still?
I think he would be #1 on womens tour yes. He would be near impossible to break and he would be able to hit return winners of second serves fairly often plus the spin would be new.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
The women's game is abysmal. Sampras wouldn't lose a match and I'm not being sarcastic.

·
Your visions will happen
53,730 Posts
The women's game is abysmal. Sampras wouldn't lose a match and I'm not being sarcastic.
Agreed.

Sampras still does have a serve, and that will win him 90% of his matches

1 - 20 of 33 Posts