Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's another to add to the growing list...

Delray Beach, 1st rd.
Mardy Fish def. Andy Roddick (1), 7-6 (7-4), 4-3, ret.

·
psychotic banana
15,731 Posts
Hmm..will he still be ranked#6 after this loss? I know he had to defend last year's final's points.

·
Registered
10,388 Posts
How often has he retired from a match then?

I don't care, but I'm just curious.

·
Registered
584 Posts
He really can't help that he's getting injured...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
ive done exactly the same as andy, i twisted my ankle yesturday and cant walk on it so im lying in bed bored as hell and worst of all i cant play tennis for a week :( but i get a week of school :D

Hope andy gets better soon

·
Gugaholic
84,779 Posts
I am not sure whether TF is also counting his withdrawl. Andy's last retired from a match was in 2002 AO second round, so I doubt he has a very long list.

·
Registered
11,359 Posts
Well, exactly. Roddick only has a retirement total of 4 matches, it's just that they've become particularly notorious because two of them have been in Grand Slams, against Hewitt at RG and Ljubicic at the AO. Incidentally, his other retirement was in the first round of Shanghai against Andre Sa, the man who last year led him by a set and 4-0 in Memphis but still managed to lose the match. Americans seem to be cursed over there in the Far East....

He still has a long way to go to catch up with the all-time retirement maestro Jerome Golmard, who has no fewer than 23 to his name, including his only two matches this year. An analyst once said on TV that the three people whose careers had probably suffered most through injury were Krajicek, El Aynaoui and Golmard - indeed, it's amazing he managed to stay healthy long enough to win a couple of titles in his career. And yet you can't sniff at someone who beats Santoro, Kucera, Henman, Moya and Kiefer all in a row to win Dubai, can you?

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
in all fairness to Pandy, given the way he plays, i am honestly amazed that he doesn't retire more often. he tends also to fall down a lot -- he's kinda clumsy. to me he's just injury-prone.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I often get the feeling that people give Roddick too much benefit of the doubt, as if he'd have won those matches had he not got injured. Other player have retired yet been treated like they had been beaten. Andy shouldn't be treated any differently.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts