Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
13,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that Rafa has reached the final and has a chance to win the USO tomorrow, will Nadaltards and Fedhaters finally stop putting an asterisk on Fed winning RG, similarity will the Fedtards and Nadalhaters stop trying to devalue Rafa's win?

If Rafa doesn't have to go through the 5-time champion/6-time finalist to win his first US Open, then tards should stop trying to use the "Roger didn't have to beat Rafa to win his first French Open!!!"> argument.

So basically, can the fans both sides just agree that you play whoever is on the other side of the net and it doesn't matter if you don't beat the multiple time champion as long as you win?

·
Registered
24,311 Posts
Meh. Who cares. A win is a win is a win.

3,728 Posts
also nadal didnt play murray or del potro

or nalbandian/ davydenko/ blake/roddick

obvious draw fixing is obvious

·
Banned
18,509 Posts
Never! Fed's RG will always be tainted.

·
Registered
13,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Banned
2,797 Posts
Nice try but Nole is already a GS winner and seeded #3.

Soderling was a nobody and he still is.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
The situations aren't comparable. Nadal was always the one stopping Federer from winning the US Open. Federer has never stopped Nadal at the US Open.
Because he was never good enough to make it that far!!! Your basically saying it would have been better for Fed to never make the RG finals before winning it.

·
Your visions will happen
47,430 Posts
There should never be asterisks to begin with.

You beat who you draw. If you win 7 in a row, you deserve the title.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Because he was never good enough to make it that far!!! Your basically saying it would have been better for Fed to never make the RG finals before winning it.
No I'm not saying that. I don't believe in asterisks, or at least in the sense that they carry negative connotations.

These are different situations. Before his streak of losing to Nadal at Roland Garros Federer lost to other people. Nadal is almost at the same age Federer was when he began going deep at Roland Garros and began his streak of losing to Nadal. It remains to be seen if Nadal will have a similar nemesis to overcome who keeps him from completing his career slam.

·
Registered
28,276 Posts
Nobody intelligent has ever seriously put an asterisk after any slam champion. No, not even the ones that Agassi won against Clement and Schuettler. Or that one that JCF won. No, not even for Tojo's. In short, only idiots and trolls apply the asterisk. That, and those of us who are funny and know how to use one properly.

That being said, that you think Nadal facing Federer in a USO Final in 2010 is somehow equally as daunting as Fed facing Nadal in any RG final ever, is very, very cute.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
The difference is nadal has beaten Roger in a hard court slam bit Roger never beat nadal in a clay court slam...

·
Registered
734 Posts
No I'm not saying that. I don't believe in asterisks, or at least in the sense that they carry negative connotations.

These are different situations. Before his streak of losing to Nadal at Roland Garros Federer lost to other people. Nadal is almost at the same age Federer was when he began going deep at Roland Garros and began his streak of losing to Nadal. It remains to be seen if Nadal will have a similar nemesis to overcome who keeps him from completing his career slam.
Well said.

Besides, Roger has an asterisk against former greats not against Nadal.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
This is entirely different.

Rafa was undefeated in Roland Garros until his loss to Soderling. Federer was NOT undefeated in Flushing Meadows; in fact, he lost to Del Potro.

Federer's dominance in the US Open, in my eyes, did not compare at all to the dominance of Rafael Nadal at the French. For one thing, he denied the assumed-GOAT the FO title numberous times, especially the world-famous spanking Federer was delivered on one of those occassions.

Federer was /denied/ the title by Rafa on almost every occassion. I could only assume that, had Rafa made it to the final, Federer would probably not have won.

The US Open is clearly different. It's their first meeting at the US Open in a final, with Rafa resurged and Federer no longer the dominant player in the USO.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts