Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
defeating nadal in the final, and being that he was suspended from the tour after breaking drug policies soon after that, would they have taken his title away and given it to nadal? an awkward "if" situtation by the way.

*so bored that i decided to wiki nadal, and puerta came up, hence the out of nowhere question.:yawn:

·
Registered
21,234 Posts
puerta is the man, nadal is a prick.

·
Registered
981 Posts
I thought the positive test was from the French Open? Kind of funny that Puerta put up more of a challenge in the final against Nadal than Federer has the past 2 years. Didn't Puerta have a set point to take Nadal to five sets?

·
Registered
6,071 Posts
he had three when served for fourth set at 54
I thought the positive test was from the French Open? Kind of funny that Puerta put up more of a challenge in the final against Nadal than Federer has the past 2 years. Didn't Puerta have a set point to take Nadal to five sets?

·
Registered
216 Posts
"If" theories drive me crazy, but I'd say that Nadal would have broken through eventually regardless of if he lost the 2005 French Open. I think Puerta would have been a one Slam wonder. That makes me wonder if Puerta can make a comeback. If it was women's tennis, then Puerta would have a shot. ;)

·
Registered
9,760 Posts
...He would be the 2005 French Open champ. According to the court decision, the substance that was found did not enhance his performance, so even though his explanation about how it came into his body does not pass the laugh test, most probably he would hold the title.

·
Registered
216 Posts
...He would be the 2005 French Open champ. According to the court decision, the substance that was found did not enhance his performance, so even though his explanation about how it came into his body does not pass the laugh test, most probably he would hold the title.
But still, Puerta would have this dark cloud hanging over his title. People would always be speculating.

·
Registered
981 Posts
so let me get this straight... Puerta tested positive at the French Open, but it was determined NOT to be performance-enhancing. Correct?

·
Registered
10,598 Posts
Luckily Nadal won saving tennis the embarrassment of seeing the French Open winner later in the year being banned.

If Puerta won I assume they would have awarded the title to Nadal. In athletics if the winner fails a drugs test they award it to the runner up.

·
Registered
10,598 Posts

·
Registered
10,598 Posts
1 - 20 of 24 Posts