Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are we using 2019 slowed down grass or the lighting fast 90’s to early 2000’s grass?

Sampras will certainly win a lot with the faster grass.
We should use the proper grass, which would be 2019. Lighting fast grass diminishes the actual tennis and puts too much weight on servebotting and net-rushing.

·
Registered
5,963 Posts
What do you think would be the score in sets? 30-0 or 30-1?
Not sure. I do think sampras could snatch probably a set every match on average with superb serving and maybe one sloppy djokovic service game which can never be counted out. So it would probably be something like 30:8-11

·
justice for all
18,036 Posts
Fresh fast grass: Sampras wins 9/10
Slow worn-out grass: Sampras wins 6/10

In fact we already saw that matchup: Agassi who was a better version of Djokovic was owned by Sampras, especially on grass.

·
Registered
200 Posts

In fact we already saw that matchup: Agassi who was a better version of Djokovic was owned by Sampras, especially on grass.
Completely agree!
I've never seen a post from you I haven't agreed with.

·
Registered
7,152 Posts

Even if both played in a wheelchair i would have trouble labeling Agassi a better version than Djokovic.

And the worn out grass is quicker than the fresh grass.

·
Banned
5,488 Posts
Well since Rogie owned Pete at Wimbledon and boatovic owns Rogie at Wimbledon, it feels safe to say that boatovic would hammer poor pistol Pete

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
And the worn out grass is quicker than the fresh grass.
Why then does Nadal lose in the first week on fresh grass, but is less likely to lose in the 2nd week on worn-out...

In the conditions in which Sampras played, he would win 7-3 or maybe 8-2. Ironically at 6'1 he's an inch shorter than Djokovic, so his botting was down to superior serving ability.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Let's not underestimate Sampras - he was a beast on grass. He had a killer serve, excellent volleying skills, and a very deadly and underrated forehand (not a popular opinion, but I think his forehand is possibly the best ever).
Still, I think peak Djokovic wins 7-3. The reason is I think Djokovic would successfully dominate the rallies by targeting Sampras' backhand, and will bother Sampras with great returns and passing shots

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
An uninspired & tired Novak wasn't near peak at Iast WB yet stiII defeated Grass ‘GOAT’ & is ATG on aII surfaces unIike Sampras so outcome is pretty obvious.

·
Registered
7,152 Posts
Why then does Nadal lose in the first week on fresh grass, but is less likely to lose in the 2nd week on worn-out...

In the conditions in which Sampras played, he would win 7-3 or maybe 8-2. Ironically at 6'1 he's an inch shorter than Djokovic, so his botting was down to superior serving ability.
It's not just about how the court play, in the 2nd week it's easier for Nadal, or anyone else for that matter, to move across the court.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Sampras would Win 10/10 in old 90s grass. Djokovic would be lucky to snatch a set. Result would be very similar to Agassi-Sampras matchups on grass and fast HC.

If it's slow grass from mid 00s onwards and very slow grass in 19, Sampras would Win 8/10 times. The other two times would be if Novak's ROS was Wim 15 level. Even then Sampras serve is no match for Novak's return game. Nole had trouble dealing with Federer's serve and Federer is a mediocre server, nowhere near compared to Sampras.

Sampras would own Djokovic on grass.
DJs Wimbledons are massively inflated due to facing Federer. He would win only one or two Ws if he was lucky in another era or if he faced an opponent other than Fed. Dj, Nadal,Federer are all inflated average grass courters who thrived in an era of slow grass conditions and weaker grass competition. They shouldn't be compared with true grass courters.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts