Mens Tennis Forums banner

Should Becker go if Novak doesn't win Wimbledon?

• Yes - Becker should be fired, he's useless.

Votes: 15 38.5%
  • No - The fault is with Novak.

Votes: 13 33.3%
  • Too early still to say.

Votes: 8 20.5%
  • He needs to keep Becker and hire someone else as well.

Votes: 3 7.7%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Novak is the best HC player and has been for a couple of years, he's the second best clay courter and has been for a long time now and he's one of top grass players at the moment, let's say top 4 because he's reached the semis or gone further 5 years now.

So winning slams is what he should be doing. Most of us found the RG losses this and last year to be bitter. But when you look at it objectively, he lost to the best clay courter ever and came close twice. We excused Boris for the AO because it would be unfair to blame him after one tournament.

I was one of those who said Becker needed to go after RG, but if he doesn't win Wimbledon, Becker must go and swiftly.

What are your thoughts?

·
Your visions will happen
47,139 Posts
My thoughts are people need to stop blaming the coach for what the player does.

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
It's a good job that Tennis players aren't as reactionary as people on MTF are. Of course there are a few exceptions to this like Sharapova getting rid of Connors after 1 tournament but still.

·
Registered
24,311 Posts
If Becker goes, Burger King's stock will drop severely. So Nole's decision is tough

·
Registered
327 Posts
Words of wisdom, not only in tennis. Soccer coaches get swapped multiple times per year as if that would help anything if the team is just bad.

As for Djokovic: To me he always seemed rather lazy when it came to working on his weaknesses, especially his net play. He also has a habit of losing finals. Besides, why should Becker be fired if he loses the final to, say, Federer, who (in his current shape) is simply a better grass player than Djokovic?

·
Banned
9,211 Posts
This.

Seriously; the amount of vacuous, silly, sheep-speaking posters on MTF is unreal.

Copy-cat mind-set thinking.

You can rarely ever expect rational thinking from most MTF posters.

Everytime a top-player dries up in winning slams, they must change coach. :facepalm:

Get in touch with reality folks!

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
Depends on the manner if how he gets beat. If he loses to Dimitrov in straight sets then that isn't really down to Boris Becker.

If he's down match point in the final and double faults to hand his opponent the championship (again) then Becker isn't doing his job properly.

·
Banned
9,211 Posts
Words of wisdom, not only in tennis. Soccer coaches get swapped multiple times per year as if that would help anything if the team is just bad.

As for Djokovic: To me he always seemed rather lazy when it came to working on his weaknesses, especially his net play. He also has a habit of losing finals. Besides, why should Becker be fired if he loses the final to, say, Federer, who in his current shape is simply a better grass player than Djokovic?
Football (Soccer) managers / coaches are much more influential in the success of a team, than a coach is in the success of their tennis player. ESPECIALLY, for those at the top of game. Such as Federer, Djokovic, Murray etc. Football involves the cohesion, team ethic, team chemistry and team tactics of a squad of players when put onto a pitch, with 11 of them.

Tennis coaches basically just dictate traffic, compared to football managers/coaches. So they should be more to blame football managers/coaches.

Roger Rasaheed is demonstration of that. He was coaching a player in Tsonga whom was too stuck in his french tennis culture, spontaneous, with no structure and game-plan game.

Moment he got with Dimitrov; look what he's managed? :yeah:

·
Registered
21,275 Posts
He was already choking slams away even without Becker so the problem is not there.

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
pretty much this. there is nothing here that would make me think he should go.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Football (Soccer) managers / coaches are much more influential in the success of a team, than a coach is in the success of their player. ESPECIALLY, for those at the top of game. Such as Federer, Djokovic, Murray etc.

Roger Rasaheed is demonstration of that. He was coaching a player in Tsonga whom was too stuck in his french tennis culture, spontaneous, with no structure and game-plan game.

Moment he got with Dimitrov; look what he's managed? :yeah:
They are more influential, that's true, but often enough coaches get fired if they don't turn around a series of losses IMMEDIATELY or don't meet the completely unrealistic expectations of a manager who doesn't realize just how bad his team is - or how little he knows about soccer. You can only do so much and swapping coaches has become a habit for some clubs. (Before Mourinho came, Real Madrid had 10 coaches in 9 years. The managers even fired one coach after he won the Champions League because they didn't like his gameplan. Some clubs in Germany had three coaches during the last season.)

·
Registered
821 Posts
Novak is the best HC player and has been for a couple of years, he's the second best clay courter and has been for a long time now and he's one of top grass players at the moment, let's say top 4 because he's reached the semis or gone further 5 years now.

So winning slams is what he should be doing. Most of us found the RG losses this and last year to be bitter. But when you look at it objectively, he lost to the best clay courter ever and came close twice. We excused Boris for the AO because it would be unfair to blame him after one tournament.

I was one of those who said Becker needed to go after RG, but if he doesn't win Wimbledon, Becker must go and swiftly.
What are your thoughts?
You should have given another poll option saying "Becker should quit".
It doesn't have to be getting fired, always.
I think Becker should quit, as its not good for his reputation.

·
Registered
12,644 Posts
No, he will not. Nole and Boris get together very well and that's very important to Djokovic. By the way, it's not Becker's fault that Nole got tight/chocked playing against his main opponents. Nole needs him as Vajda is only his part time coach at the moment. Vajda can't travel with Djokovic all year long because he wants to be with his family. So, even if Becker goes Nole would still need to hire someone.

·
Registered
175 Posts
If he doesn't win this tournament, people are going to wonder about his mental state. He has too much talent to continue to be stuck on 6 slams. Time is ticking away.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts