Votes: 23 59.0%
  • About even (please state)

Votes: 4 10.3%
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Speaking about current era. I'm no fan of Rafa but looking at his form and his draw, it will be a huge effort to win this years RG. Do you think any GS since the noughties would rank as a higher achievement if he were to retain it?

·
Registered
17,839 Posts
At least in the last 15 years Wimbledon 2001 was more impressive also US Open 2009 no one expected that defeating Fedal back to back

·
Banned
15,396 Posts
1. Nadal is not winning this RG
2. Any of Novak's 8 slams - fighting through official bias, rigged difficult draws and unfavorable schedules was much more impressive.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Absolutely incredible. I thought Nadal might win this year's RG but I never expected him to win without losing a set especially after he broke his leg in the first match. No opponent even got to two in a set. It was all bagels and breadsticks, and while hopping along on one leg. Stupendous. The greatest performance ever.

·
Registered
6,721 Posts
1. Nadal is not winning this RG
2. Any of Novak's 8 slams - fighting through official bias, rigged difficult draws and unfavorable schedules was much more impressive.
This.

I can think of so many more impressive victories it's not even funny. None from Nadal with his pitiful draws either.

·
Lurrrkin'
18,058 Posts
Doesn't matter how many years go by, nothing surpasses destiny Wimbly 2001. Just for the surprise and drama element.

·
Registered
5,394 Posts
About even because he is still the second favorite to win. The draw does not matter. As we all know the winner of Djoko vs. Nadal is more than likely to win the title. Just like in 2013 where the winner of the semis b/w them went on to win the title.

Sure his form is not great but once he makes the 2nd week of slams he is a different animal.

·
Registered
5,394 Posts
This.

I can think of so many more impressive victories it's not even funny. None from Nadal with his pitiful draws either.
Lies!
You and I both know that 2010 Nadal USO victory was the most impressive victory ever!!! That draw was one of the HARDEST draws I have ever seen in my life. I have no idea how Nadal managed to get that title to complete his career grand slam. :devil:

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
it depends on the way he plays to win and how you define impressive.
For me, impressive would be winning it outclassing everyone like he did many times in the past here.
in reality, if he was to win it, I would just assume that he is back to business and his crisis is over.

·
Registered
14,627 Posts
it depends on the way he plays to win and how you define impressive.
For me, impressive would be winning it outclassing everyone like he did many times in the past here.
in reality, if he was to win it, I would just assume that he is back to business and his crisis is over.
obviously in this case 'impressive' is specifically talking about the draw

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
I really wouldn't be a big deal. Nadal is still second favourite to win RG. Outside of the most delusional Rafa-haters, noone would be particularly surprised if he won it. Bet against him at your own peril.

And as for the question: Wimbledon 2001 is the correct answer.

·
Registered
19,480 Posts
Meaningless thread.
No real threat for Nadal beside Djokovic at RG, therefore 1 win from possible 7 does not make it "impressive".

Try troll harder next time.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Kuerten 1997

More information on it:
R2: Def. Bjorkman in 4 sets
R3: Def. Muster in a 5 setter (former champ)
R4: Def. Medvedev in a 5 setter (eventual finalist, had just won Hamburg)
QF: Def. Kafelnikov in a 5 setter (defending champion)
F: Def. Bruguera (two-time champion)

Kuerten was ranked 66 at the time, it was his first ever title.

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
Speaking about current era. I'm no fan of Rafa but looking at his form and his draw, it will be a huge effort to win this years RG. Do you think any GS since the noughties would rank as a higher achievement if he were to retain it?
Several are on par. His 2010 victory for sure when he got revenge over Soderling for his freak win the year before.

His 4/0 record in the final against the man they call the GOAT. Is also impressive. His 2/0 record over Djokovic is also impressive.

What you have to realise is he has beaten the BEST more than once in the final. He has nothing to prove. They have it ALL to prove.

I still don't know why anyone expects Nadal to win again. 9 in 10 years will never ever be done again. 9 in an entire career will never be done. By anyone else. Nadal is different class on clay. He shouldn't win this year. But if he does it's simply a bonus now. The legend is already set in gold.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts