• They will be respectful but neutral

Votes: 11 27.5%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
6,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We all know Nadal isn't liked at his most successful slam, he has commented on it many times himself. Partly it is due to playing style, but also people seem to think it is because they don't like him winning every year. I disagree. If Roger won every year they would be delighted. Regardless of why he is disliked there, do you think that will change if he reaches 10 slams or do you think it will make things worse?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Have anyone ever seen a Fedtard return to sanity??? :devil::devil::devil::devil::devil:

French crowd have achieved a mental state that even the scientist find hard to name. I prefer to think of them as someone who went Full Fedtard.

And Rafa's 9 Slam win simply shows that he gets extra motivation against these Fedtards to stick it upto them.
But since the crowd has gone full Fedtard, they can't seem to figure it out.

·
Registered
67,452 Posts
no. they would hate him even more

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
We all know Nadal isn't liked at his most successful slam, he has commented on it many times himself.
I think this is mostly past now. Of course, Federer is still way more popular. But few years ago, the crowd was cheering a lot more for Nadal's opponents. Today, people are cheering for him, except against frenchmens or Federer. Even the last final against Djokovic, the public was only slightly on the side of Novak.

Especially, Nadal is very popular among the young people (who make the most of noise :p).

Of course, people find a little boring that Nadal win everyone year, but he got the respect of the crowd (that he deserves).

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Nadal's domination is boring, who wants to root for a grunting machine? Federer's domination is thrilling, who doesn't want to root for an elegant, smiling all-courter?

Unfortunately RG drew Dull.

·
Registered
16,539 Posts
To be honest, I think the last couple of years they already warmed to him. The main reason they hated him was because he was keeping Roger from winning, but now Federer doesn't stand a chance any more (and won it in 09) it has faded. And you could feel the respect for him when he won those record breaking #7, #8 and #9 titles.

They like him more than Djokovic or a random top 10 player. The only time they root against him is vs. Federer, french guys and huge underdogs who are giving him a tough match.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
The applause the crowd gives to him is just so little compared to other champs...

and they are pretty much tired of seeing that disgusting kind of gameplay winning on Paris, it kind of diminish the tournament´s reputation. Also, no one is able to play well when it matters against him, for whatever reason. The endless grinding always get into the opponents head, who gives an UE to end the point 95% of the time.

Paris needs a new champ as soon as possible.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
It seems as though the French have grown to accept Rafa's domination and now just don't care anymore. Fed already won in 2009, the French aren't likely to root for a Serb, and there are no French players that can seriously contend for the title at this point.

That won't stop them from rooting hard against Rafa if he comes up against an epic mug like Monfils, but Rafa will quickly silence them. I still maintain that Andy's rout of Monfils in that 5th set was one of the most hilarious things I've ever seen. The crowd was rallying behind the clown and hatin' big time on the Scot and then he pulls a bagel out of nowhere. Epic fail for France as a nation.

·
Registered
6,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
The applause the crowd gives to him is just so little compared to other champs...

and they are pretty much tired of seeing that disgusting kind of gameplay winning on Paris, it kind of diminish the tournament´s reputation. Also, no one is able to play well when it matters against him, for whatever reason. The endless grinding always get into the opponents head, who gives an UE to end the point 95% of the time.

Paris needs a new champ as soon as possible.
Yeah I think that is a big reason they don't like him. That style of play is just offensive to them. They were disappointed Novak couldn't take it for sure. It is a mix of not liking behaviour and game style and not liking dominance. I doubt Nadal cares that much, doesn't change how many slams he has won there, but it must hurt your feelings a bit when you know a crowd don't like you much.

But I wonder if later in his career, when he is older, if they will appreciate him more or not. Sometimes that happens to players.

The FO crowd can be a bit like that anyway when people play French players, it was shameful the way they treated Andy and booed him when he walked out to play Gael. But with Nadal they just don't like him in general. I remember him saying about 2009 that it wasn't that they wanted Soderling to win, it was the fact they desperately wanted him to lose. People like an upset and root for the underdog but rarely do they actively root for someone to lose, unless it is at someone's home tournament or slam and people don't want a threat to their faves to make it through.

·
Registered
7,156 Posts
We all know Nadal isn't liked at his most successful slam, he has commented on it many times himself. Partly it is due to playing style, but also people seem to think it is because they don't like him winning every year. I disagree. If Roger won every year they would be delighted. Regardless of why he is disliked there, do you think that will change if he reaches 10 slams or do you think it will make things worse?

The crow was terible for Tsonga vs Ferrer last year so go figure. French are the worst kind of tennis fans out there.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Why are we talking so much about Dull? Dull here, Dull there, Dull the Dull. Isn't our life dull enough to talk about Dull? I mean, seriously. Don't we have better things to talk about, like talented shotmakers winning Grand Slams? Why do we always have to be pessimistic and think the worst will happen? It's depressing to think of such thing. Let me live the moment.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Why are we talking so much about Dull? Dull here, Dull there, Dull the Dull. Isn't our life dull enough to talk about Dull? I mean, seriously. Don't we have better things to talk about, like talented shotmakers winning Grand Slams? Why do we always have to be pessimistic and think the worst will happen? It's depressing to think of such thing. Let me live the moment.
At least Rafa doesn't need to resort stupid remarks to gain some limelight. If talented shotmaking was the only thing required to win slams then Tomic would have won one. Gulbis didn't adapt his game for grass and he suffered. Something great players like Rafa has done 5 times.

·
10,287 Posts
Why do you always start your threads with

"We all know _____ is terrible"
"We all know _____ is the worst sportsman of all time"
"We all know _____ is going to retire soon"

When did your OPINION become fact????

Also Nadal is well loved and supported by the French Crowd. Minus French Players and Federer (who is adored everywhere), Nadal is probably the third most supported player at the French Open.

Don't know why you make threads JoWilly.

At least this time your poll options are not biased...

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
If Nadal wins a 10th RG... :rolleyes:

The title should be: WHEN Nadal wins a 10TH RG... :wavey:

·
Registered
33,355 Posts
I think the crowd likes him, but the organisers will do anything in their paths to try and stop him from winning... so far it has not worked.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts