Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep hearing Djokovic fans say how much these conditions suit King and how they are so much against Nadal.
This is not the usual clay then but a special surface.
So If Nadal wins this against Djokovic of all people, does this mean he is the GOAT?

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
Yes.

The cours were tailor-made for Djokovic, as the ATP wants him to dominate.
This.

That's exactly it. He has earned the right to be considered the greatest. Remember despite being Claycourt heavy in slams. He remains the only player of the open era to have won at least two slams on Grass, Clay and Hardcourt. That has to be remembered.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Nadal won on a new surface. King of cold clay!
Kudos for not buying the "conditions" argument! While I don't think the latest victory makes him the GOAT, that brand of skepticism can never be used again. It's clear his talent can surmount any weather related issue. Incredible, really!

·
Registered
865 Posts
Gill Gross: "The court speed - slower than usual - was the big factor, in favor of Nadal". I agree with him. One could see that Djokovic could not hit through Nadal and that the latter had all the time in the world to return and be close to his baseline which was huge.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Gill Gross: "The court speed - slower than usual - was the big factor, in favor of Nadal". I agree with him. One could see that Djokovic could not hit through Nadal and that the latter had all the time in the world to return and be close to his baseline which was huge.
Gross also stated that Rafa has the best ROS on clay, and that going forward the pundits need to adjust to that reality. That was an interesting assessment, as we usually think Djoker when the phrase ROS is mentioned. Rafa made 95% of returns. This stat undoubtedly played a role in the lopsided result.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Nole should potentially become the greatest clay courter ever.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts