Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
6,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And RG is the slowest and W is the fastest of the slams...shouldn't his other results on the two hard slams fall in the median, if they are supposedly medium speed courts?

Shouldn't he be losing in the mid-rounds at AO and USO (especially USO)?

Just shows how immensely slow the HCs are and how biased they are towards Rafito.

Edit: speed also means speed/bounce

·
Banned
5,616 Posts
So what. Ask Djokovic about his countless finals. I'll bet he without any doubt prefers winning 1 slam and two early exits to 3 finals. Nadal peaked for RG. His best slam and surface. He's not capable of being all surface monster like was earlier.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Well, he has won Wimbledon twice, it's not like he's always been bad on grass.

·
Registered
15,733 Posts
lets wait until wimbledon shall we..

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I'd say it's a combination of things. Rafa needs a lot of match time on a surface to play well on it (even clay, though even his worst on clay is enough usually to win titles). Rafa very rarely does well in the summer HC circuit and yet he has been in what 3 USO finals now? He has time to acclimate and get his game dialed in.

Wimbledon is just harder to do that with. There is literally one warmup event and then he has to be ready. The last couple years, he hasn't been able to make the transition fast enough. 2012 obviously he went out with a knee injury. Last year, not sure he has much excuse (though he did skip the warmup event).

He played poorly today, so I'm not optimistic about his chances at Wimbledon this year. But let's see what the draw holds and go from there. He needs to avoid grass court dudes in R1-3. Then he will gain some traction and we'll see what's going on.

·
Registered
24,699 Posts
Well, he has won Wimbledon twice, it's not like he's always been bad on grass.
yeah, they forgot he had won twice and reached the other 3 finals. He is just getting old like most people :shrug:

·
Registered
24,699 Posts
How come Rafa made 5 finals at Wimbledon(till 2011) and suddenly Wimbledon is fast?
the haters just want to show how bad this mooballer is in other surfaces except clay but they forgot that he was in finals of Wimby 5 times before. They contradicted themselves by saying they slowed down the grass for Rafa to win but now they are saying the grass is fast :toothy::cuckoo:

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
yeah, they forgot he had won twice and in the other 3 finals. He is just getting old like most people :shrug:
I don't think that's it honestly. His serve has been downright bad the last couple years. Very inconsistent and that's the kiss of death on grass. You have to protect your serve. He can get away with that nonsense on clay because he has a stupidly high 44% of return games won percentage. But he is not a good returner on grass. Even in the years he made the Wimbledon final, he was low 20%. He was doing well because his serve was very effective. It really isn't right now.

Whether he can fix that before W is a big question especially if there is still the lingering back thing (and there was as of two weeks ago).

·
Registered
17,365 Posts
I honestly don't understand this shit. How can he have TWO Wimbledon titles, two other finals (IIRC), and now he's losing in the 1st/2nd round of his most recent grass tourneys?

·
Registered
24,699 Posts
I honestly don't understand this shit. How can he have TWO Wimbledon titles, two other finals (IIRC), and now he's losing in the 1st/2nd round of his most recent grass tourneys?
getting old and slow. The grass god pete also lost in 2nd round of Wimby at 2002 :shrug:

·
Banned
9,211 Posts
And RG is the slowest and W is the fastest of the slams...shouldn't his other results on the two hard slams fall in the median, if they are supposedly medium speed courts?

Shouldn't he be losing in the mid-rounds at AO and USO (especially USO)?

Just shows how immensely slow the HCs are and how biased they are towards Rafito.

Edit: speed also means speed/bounce
First, I agree you're looking at this from an almost too simplistic view.

However.

Wimbledon is not the fastest slam. The US Open is. So this question isn't a question.

·
Banned
9,211 Posts
Guys, guys, guys. Calm down, the US Open is officially recorded as having the fastest courts of all the slams. lol

This is a well known fact and has been for many years now. The ball stays lower at wimbledon, obviously, but the speed is faster at the US.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts