Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Read Only
11,640 Posts
The ball reportedly hit her in the throat. Sure you'd be shocked for a while if a 25mph ball suddenly hit your throat, it's one of the body's most sensitive areas.
what happened to your flag? you moved to NL, not putting up with Putin any more?

·
Registered
403 Posts
She was exaggerating. Oscar award winning performance.
Let's put it like this: Had Novak hit that ball with any kind of force to her throat, her larynx would have been crushed and she definitely wouldn't have been able to stand upright after 30 seconds. This very fact negates the claim that Novak smashed or hit that ball with any kind of excessive force. Sure, any kind of contact to the larynx can cause irritation, coughing or even gasping for air but none of that is an injury per se. I know a thing or two about coughing as my mother has severe chronic bronchitis with extreme long-lasting coughing fits. For the uninitiated, such a coughing fit may look like the start of a heart attack or God knows what but for those who know about it it's just reflexive behavior by the body to clear the airways. Now, whether this was purely reflexive behavior or whether there was also some exaggeration involved (with either good or ill intent), it's clear that she was not injured. It looked way more dramatic than it actually was. And this is an important distinction to be made given how appearance can influence the severity of the penalty.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I challenge anyone who thinks she was faking to take a tennis ball to the throat. This was Djokovic's fault. This lady did absolutely nothing wrong.
Did nothing wrong? I beg to disagree... She should have been more aware of what was happening right in front of her very own eyes. Your challenge can only be interpreted as a hypothetical thought experiment because anyone seeing a tennis ball flying in their direction would have a very hard time just standing still and not moving aside or performing a flinching maneuver, not to mention instinctively tensing up around the neck/throat area and raising their hands if necessary in order to protect against potential impact.

The fact that she did nothing of the above can only be logically explained if she was completely zoned out or daydreaming, which she shouldn't have been on a tennis court where balls do fly around. To the extent that Novak should have been more observant, she should also have been more observant of what was going on right in front of her because, like Novak, she was there doing a job. God knows how many hypothetical incidents on the tennis court have never materialized because of the situational awareness of linespersons and ball kids who have been observant of their surroundings and not simply standing like immovable lamp posts.

The reason why this particular incident has not happened before is not because no one else has thrown balls around on a tennis court that could potentially have hit someone's throat but because it's really hard, almost impossible, to find a person who will face a tennis ball head on in a zen-like fashion, not budging their head an inch in either direction. Her lack of awareness was definitely her own fault, whatever fault you choose to ascribe to Djokovic.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Did nothing wrong? I beg to disagree... She should have been more aware of what was happening right in front of her very own eyes. Your challenge can only be interpreted as a hypothetical thought experiment because anyone seeing a tennis ball flying in their direction would have a very hard time just standing still and not moving aside or performing a flinching maneuver, not to mention instinctively tensing up around the neck/throat area and raising their hands if necessary in order to protect against potential impact.

The fact that she did nothing of the above can only be logically explained if she was completely zoned out or daydreaming, which she shouldn't have been on a tennis court where balls do fly around. To the extent that Novak should have been more observant, she should also have been more observant of what was going on right in front of her because, like Novak, she was there doing a job. God knows how many hypothetical incidents on the tennis court have never materialized because of the situational awareness of linespersons and ball kids who have been observant of their surroundings and not simply standing like immovable lamp posts.

The reason why this particular incident has not happened before is not because no one else has thrown balls around on a tennis court that could potentially have hit someone's throat but because it's really hard, almost impossible, to find a person who will face a tennis ball head on in a zen-like fashion, not budging their head an inch in either direction. Her lack of awareness was definitely her own fault, whatever fault you choose to ascribe to Djokovic.
You think an old non-athletic lady like that has the reflexes to dodge Novak's ball coming at her from 3 meters away ?

·
Registered
403 Posts
You think an old non-athletic lady like that has the reflexes to dodge Novak's ball coming at her from 3 meters away ?
I think that everyone should be observant and aware of what's happening right in front of them, especially if they are paid to do that as part of their job. This wasn't a sideways projectile that blindsided her, this was right in her field of vision. Instincts always work as long as they have a pair of eyeballs to guide them and as long as we're talking reasonably healthy and not too old or frail individuals. Anyone deemed eligible to perform on-court duties during a men's grand slam tennis match in a best of 5 sets format should possess a bare minimum of physical fitness and mental sharpness. Otherwise they have no business being on a court where the world's best players compete.

The video below showcases nicely reflexes at work ;)

·
Registered
680 Posts

The mind boggles.

You talk as if this was mid-rally, when lines judges are ducking out of the way of balls all the time. But it wasn’t. The point was over. Djokovic was walking back to his chair and he hit the ball behind him, his body covering the shot from this lines judge’s perspective. Why would she expect a ball to come flying her way? Sure maybe she might expect one to come rolling by her ankles, but at pace to her throat? Why would anyone expect that?

·
Registered
7,103 Posts
I’m really surprised by all the abuse the Serbians are giving in the social media. Hashtags like Free Djokovic and ATP mafia are leaving me speechless. I received 7 instagram messages with Serbian language as they asked me to give them kind of a blow....

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Why is an old non-athletic lady on a tennis court in the first place?
Because maybe she expects the players to have enough decency to throw their childish tantrums in a way that doesn't harm her & the rest of the on court staff ?
Or is that too much to expect ?

1 - 20 of 67 Posts