Give him GOAT title?

• Yes

Votes: 26 46.4%
  • No

Votes: 30 53.6%
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Double Career Slam. Something neither Nadal/Fed accomplished along with all the other accolades on all the surfaces

Registered
I'd hail Djokovic as the GOAT with the same number of Slams as Federer. I don't think Djokovic will have done enough with just 18 slams although it'd be closeish.

Based on my subjective metrics, the number of Grand Slam titles, the number of WTF/ATP Finals titles, weeks at #1, and overall consistency/domination of the tour which involves many things. Djokovic leads Nadal in 3 of these categories while Federer leads Nadal in all 4. Djokovic has a very good chance of equalling Federer's WTF/ATP Finals record this year and is pretty much certain to pass him in weeks at #1. Djokovic also has a decent chance of ending up as the Slam leader as well given how much younger he is compared to Federer.

As far as I'm concerned, Djokovic is already superior to Nadal given his 5 WTF wins and more balanced resume, so Djokovic doesn't need to do any more to be greater than Nadal unless Nadal wins another Grand Slam or multiple Grand Slams, and in that scenario, Djokovic would just have to stay 2 Grand Slams behind Nadal. I do think Djokovic will overtake Nadal in the Slam count though.

Registered
I don't think Djokovic will have done enough with just 19 slams although it'd be pretty close.
Excuse me. 17+1 = 18; that's what my calculator tells me. I tried 3 times; it's the same answer.

Reactions: BaselineGod

Registered
Not yet. If he reaches 20, then the title is his.
Federer still has some minor records (probably most titles won ever in the end, he can still win 7 more, consecutive semifinals at slams etc), but Djokovic will have the most weeks at #1, the double Golden Career Masters, the DCGS, NCYGS and hopefully he can still win another Tour Finals to at least even the record there, also most top 10 wins (currently Federer has only a 12 lead there, while Nadal is 41 behind).

Overall if Djokovic has the same amount of slams and has all the major records on his side (some of which Federer was never close to achieve, as he never won Monte Carlo and was last time in its final in 2014, or never won RG twice and last time was in its final in 2011), then it would be justified imho that he would be hailed as the greatest or at least most successful tennis player of all times (I would discount pro slams and such tourneys here, only the classic slams: AO-RG-WB-USO count).

Banned
I think some are not taking the competition into account. Surely competition matters? Because nobody has beaten harder competition than Novak (and it isn't even close).

Registered
I think some are not taking the competition into account. Surely competition matters? Because nobody has beaten harder competition than Novak (and it isn't even close).
Yes, it is reflected in the Top 10 and Top 5 wins, which he is leader or 2nd place at, also in the current ELO rating:

However this is only one important aspect, but biggest titles (Masters, Tour Finals and Olympic Gold)/slams and overall domination across the whole field (weeks at #1 and again biggest titles won as they are won not only the top50 but also lower ranked players in the early rounds) are all seem to be more important.

Banned
Not all top 5 or top 10 wins are the same, though. For example, Novak had to go through one or more of Nadal, Federer and Murray to win 16 out of his 17 slams. The only time he didn't he still had to beat Del Potro.

Registered
Not all top 5 or top 10 wins are the same, though. For example, Novak had to go through one or more of Nadal, Federer and Murray to win 16 out of his 17 slams. The only time he didn't he still had to beat Del Potro.
No one could deny that, however in the greater scheme of things it does matter little.
Successful player on all surfaces, against/across the whole field, winning in finals with a higher win ratio than other and winning the biggest titles in bigger amount than your rivals: these are the thing that define a GOAT player.

Registered
No, he still has a lot of catch up to do, in a lot of areas

double career slam can't compensate for even 1 slam gap, let alone 2

Registered
How does goat trophy look like? I hope it's not a phallic symbol like Madrid one... maybe we should design on, any graphic designers/sculptors willing to contribute?

Registered
I already have. But for public acceptance he has to reach 20. A nest RG 20, AO 21 and Wimby 21 sweep is the most likely scenario. But it ain't gonna be easy.

Registered
Closer to it but not quite yet even w/ the Golden Masters which no other still has either. Still has to exceed Fed in overall HC majors titles (they鈥檙e tied atm) & imo needs one more WB keeping him in top 3 all time which then totals to 20 & any more just a bonus.

Registered
If he beats Rafa in the final then yes I would give him the GOAT title.

But I think from the wider view it would not be enough. He would still have to beat Fed's grand slam record.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts