Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
|
14,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If Djokovic wins the upcoming French Open? :armed:
(by the way I don't think Djokovic will win it anyway)

·
|
14,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Let me put it this way :armed:
To make groups ONE and TWO equivalent to each other, replace the question mark with a number:

Group One:
Player A wins 10 slams.
Player B wins ? slams.

Group Two:
Player C wins 10 slams.
Player D wins 10 slams including 4-in-a-row TWICE.

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
It is clear why Federer or Djokovic are not multiple RG winners already.
One name: Rafael Nadal.

Is 2019 Nadal as good as the Nadal who stopped Djokovic 3 times and Federer 5 times?
If yes, then a second RG would mean a lot.
If no, not much.

·
6,246 Posts
The DCGS is the more significant achievement than another Nole Slam.
Definitely will put him above Nadal, will need the CYGS to go above Federer.
The chances though are not as good as was straight after the AO though, he seems to have gone off the boil, possibly preparing for the clay though.

·
Registered
11,780 Posts
If Djokovic wins the upcoming French Open? :armed:
(by the way I don't think Djokovic will win it anyway)
Of course not. In which world would 16=20? Too soon for this question.

Just because he wins his majors in bunches does not make him greater than someone who has won many more overall.

It just means he held his form during a specific time when the rest of the field could not match him for whatever reasons (I'm not going down a "Weak Era" crap path).

This question will have more relevance if they are ever tied, so not even a DjokoSlam and a true Grand Slam (A "Budge Slam") this year would do that. If those two feats came to pass Novak would still only have his project 18,

But winning RG would equal RAFA, and arguably give him the edge on RAFA for the moment due to a higher short term domination factor.

Now that particular Djokovic-Nadal scenario would be a thread certainly more worthy of discussion at the moment. Who will be the first to create it? ;)

Respectfully,
masterclass

·
|
14,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Laver is head and shoulders above his rivals, and some people even put him ahead of Federer despite the massive difference in slams won (Federer 20, Laver 11)....all because of his Calendar Year Grand Slams (one in the Open Era, one before).

One could argue, Djokovic's 2 "Djokovic Slams" (if he wins RG, which I pray to God he doesn't) would be more impressive than Laver's 1 Calendar Year Grand Slam in the Open Era :armed:

·
Registered
967 Posts
Love the topic. As if he had any chance. Dude lost to Cecchinato.

My prediction, the topic title will be:

R1: qualifier Ramkumar Ramanathan shocks the world, defeats Djokovic 6-3 4-6 6-3 6-3

·
Registered
491 Posts
No. He would need more work still - slams and weeks at #1.

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
It is clear why Federer or Djokovic are not multiple RG winners already.
One name: Rafael Nadal.

Is 2019 Nadal as good as the Nadal who stopped Djokovic 3 times and Federer 5 times?
If yes, then a second RG would mean a lot.
If not, not much.

Joker lost to Rafa at RG 6 times.

·
Registered
14,493 Posts
Joker lost to Rafa at RG 6 times.
He meant in the context that he lost to Nadal only 3 times in the final when he had direct chance for the trophy, as we have seen multiple times, beating Nadal in some early stages is not a guarantee for the final win here either... another tough customer might appear from out of nowhere (like Federer in 2009 and Wawrinka in 2015)

·
Registered
695 Posts
Not enough, in my personal opinion. But it will be a strong argument in his favor if he ends his career falling a little short of 20 slams.

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
Nadal Yes
Federer No

Even with 2 nole slams to his name he'd still be 4 slams behind, if he manages to pull off the CYGS this year then I think there'd be a serious argument though.
I'd take your post to mean, with 2 nole slams to his name, he'd be at least 1 slam ahead of Rafa. Interesting.

·
The special one
14,022 Posts
I'd take your post to mean, with 2 nole slams to his name, he'd be at least 1 slam ahead of Rafa. Interesting.
Eh, he'd have one less slam than Rafa if Nole wins RG, although I would rate his achievements above Nadal's, even with one slam less because of how lopsided Nadal's resume is in favour of RG.

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
Wonder what the situation would have been if ATP held 2 Grand Slams (instead of 1) 6 Masters 1000s (instead of 3) and Tour Finals on clay instead of hardcourts.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts