Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
19,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's simple. If he wants to win it all he needs to play his absolute best. And i can bet that if he does it his confidence will be sky high for the rest of the season. In the first place he had a draw from hell. In the second place, let's look at the players he'll have to face next on

Cilic in the quarterfinals: Even though he clearly leads the head to head, matches against Cilic were always closer than the score suggests and i'm sure he'll give him another run for his money
Murray in the semis. This will be one hell of a match. First, Murray is not a comfortable matchup for Djokovic, Djokovic is not playing as agressive against Murray as he does against other players. I don't know why honestly but he gets drawn in longer rallies and he's not favourite in those. Maybe, just maybe he has learned his lesson from last year. And plus that, we all know how Nole hates to play against local favourites or in general against players who get almost all the support from the crowd. He gets frustrated early and there are only two options from there on. Either he will feed with that and will become more agressive going for his shots, either he will start throwing errors left and right letting the match get away from him. But let's say he wins that too
In the final it's Federer who would be looking to write even more history and who is on fire this week. Hate him or love him, i was impressed by Federer this week. And Nadal going out i think will give him even more boost in his confidence. "Olderer" or not, Federer showed amazing form this week and him to reach the final is inevitable from my point of view.

And let's not even bring into discussion his poor record in Grand Slam finals since 2012

If Nole manages to win this year's Wimbledon with this draw it will be one of the most deserved slams in the last decade

·
Registered
678 Posts
I'm not positive he'll make it past Cilic. If he does, there's no way he beats Murray.

Then again, I picked Nadal for this tournament.

Still, you're right - it would take a monumental effort for Djoker to pull through this year.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Djokovic absolute best is not enough against Murray (and Federer) in Wimbledon, simple as that
Djokovic fans should stop making excuses and accept that Djokovic at his absolute best is not the absolute best (except for indoors maybe now that Federer is older).

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
He will need a 2012 AO like performance to win this title. Also has never beaten federer or murray at Wimbledon

·
Registered
821 Posts
It's simple. If he wants to win it all he needs to play his absolute best. And i can bet that if he does it his confidence will be sky high for the rest of the season. In the first place he had a draw from hell. In the second place, let's look at the players he'll have to face next on

Cilic in the quarterfinals: Even though he clearly leads the head to head, matches against Cilic were always closer than the score suggests and i'm sure he'll give him another run for his money
Murray in the semis. This will be one hell of a match. First, Murray is not a comfortable matchup for Djokovic, Djokovic is not playing as agressive against Murray as he does against other players. I don't know why honestly but he gets drawn in longer rallies and he's not favourite in those. Maybe, just maybe he has learned his lesson from last year. And plus that, we all know how Nole hates to play against local favourites or in general against players who get almost all the support from the crowd. He gets frustrated early and there are only two options from there on. Either he will feed with that and will become more agressive going for his shots, either he will start throwing errors left and right letting the match get away from him. But let's say he wins that too
In the final it's Federer who would be looking to write even more history and who is on fire this week. Hate him or love him, i was impressed by Federer this week. And Nadal going out i think will give him even more boost in his confidence. "Olderer" or not, Federer showed amazing form this week and him to reach the final is inevitable from my point of view.

And let's not even bring into discussion his poor record in Grand Slam finals since 2012

If Nole manages to win this year's Wimbledon with this draw it will be one of the most deserved slams in the last decade
Cilic is dangerous and he might get inspired by kyrgios.
I do not agree with federer's form....just swap that easy draw to Nadal's, and Nadal would at least reach semi finals.
Nadal got a brutal draw.

·
Registered
8,386 Posts
He will need a 2012 AO like performance to win this title. Also has never beaten federer or murray at Wimbledon
Never beaten Murray at a slam outside Australia, though meetings at other venues have been somewhat sparse.

That being said Murray hasn't beaten a top 10 since Djokovic here last year, and is hardly guaranteed to beat Dimitrov. If Murray is upset in the QF I (perhaps naively) think Novak will finally get the job done and win another slam. If Murray reaches the SF I still make Djokovic a slight favourite for that encounter, but it definitely reduces his chances of winning the final.

·
Registered
5,672 Posts
We all know how it goes. Djoko to win is a lock here.

He is odds fav too even though his probable SF vs Murray is harder than Fed `s vs Raonic or Kyrgios

·
Registered
14,508 Posts
Djokovic absolute best is not enough against Murray (and Federer) in Wimbledon, simple as that
Djokovic fans should stop making excuses and accept that Djokovic at his absolute best is not the absolute best (except for indoors maybe now that Federer is older).
Djokovic is slightly better on hard and clay then Murray/Fed at this point, grass is Fed's favorite surface and Murray has much more variety which he struggles to handle.
It is not impossible to beat them, but he must play some lights out tennis and take chances early on, focusing all match, executing maybe a new, customized gameplan. Not very likely after what happened in AO/RG where he failed in these departments, but it is grass and Nole is way too hungry to commit those mistakes again.
His grass game is even sharper this year than it ever was.

That being said, anything is possible at this point.

·
Registered
821 Posts
We all know how it goes. Djoko to win is a lock here.

He is odds fav too even though his probable SF vs Murray is harder than Fed `s vs Raonic or Kyrgios
True, but I some how feel that either Raonic or Murray might win this year.
Raonic is improving everyday.
At least we would like to see a North American winner this year. :)

·
Registered
12,644 Posts
True, but I some how feel that either Raonic or Murray might win this year.
Raonic is improving everyday.
At least we would like to see a North American winner this year. :)
Mr. North American, It is 'somehow', not 'some how' :shout:.
Hm, Raonic winning W? Sure, I'll go with that :spit:. Oh boy.

·
Registered
6,148 Posts
Why? Thanks to his joke draw, he cannot face Kyrgios until the finals :bigwave:

·
Registered
14,624 Posts
You talk a lot of crap.

·
Registered
8,950 Posts
He's played them 1 time each at wimbly. :lol:

Lost to Ray at Olympic games in 2 tight sets.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Djokovic has never beaten Murray and Fed on grass? Well it's a very small sample of matches, but I think it is because of the top 4 Djokovic overhead and net play is the worst. However there is a definite improvement in this area. He did (albeit against Tsonga) put away a couple of very difficult smash/drive volleys with his FH.

Here is my take on it and I think I'm a fairly unbiased Novak fan.

Novak must win his match vs Cilic in 3 sets and he must be ruthless and not show any soft nature like he sometimes does with his friends. Novak will have to come out early guns blazing and not let Cilic dictate to him. Novak must not let Cilic get ahead of himself and if he plays it smart.

Djokovic has to hope that Murray and Dimitrov go long, because I don't think on grass Djokovic is as confident as Murray. Murray is the better player, the better retriever and better at the net. However Djokovic can win this if he serves well, he must serve at the top of his game. Novak will get chances on Murray's serve and he's got to take them. He has a chance, but he'll need to be at the very peak of his game.

Fed, if Fed does make it to the final, then he'll probably prefer Novak to Murray cause the entire stadium will be behind him and on grass Murray has beaten him comfortably. Fed will no doubt try and exploit Novak's weaker net game cause if he tries to exchange from the baseline it'll be obviously going the other way on more occassions. The question then arises as to whether Novak can handle this, if Novak can pass Federer and chase down balls and possibly get Fed on the run, he'll have a chance.

So overall here is how I see it:

vs Cilic 70%
vs Murray 45%
vs Fed 45%

·
Registered
11,734 Posts
Yeah..that is brand new information..

Obviously someone that is 1-5 in the last 2 years, he'll have to play an amazing tennis

·
Registered
373 Posts
I guess this is true, but Novak looked great against Tsonga. The best I have seen him play on grass maybe ever. So he should have a chance of winning here with that play. The matchup with Murray though is a bad one for Novak, especially on fast surfaces. I have always the feeling that if Murray executes his game plan he will beat Novak (besides clay).

1 - 20 of 22 Posts