Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
He needs one of these at least to remain his chances of reaching that record.

We all remember that most of us were conviced that Djokovic needs minimum a two-slams per year rate due to his age. Otherwise he will end at 19 maximum. He has only one so far in 2020. Wimbledon 2020 is gone forever and we all agree that it was Djokovic's tournament in recent times. Federer was injured, old and lost three times to Novak there.

Now only USO and FO remains and he needs more titles at these tournaents where he was less succesful in terms of titel count to accomplish number 20. Otherwise it is highly unlikely that Djokovic vultures enough DownUnders and SW19s till 38 to get to 20. 2 more Aussies and 1 more Wimbledon ? Come on. Please. Be realistic. We all know he wants more than 20 because Nadal will get there as well if he does not get injured. But for 20+ at least two titles have to be won on Parisien clay or on Arthur Ashe. 3 USO and 1 FO titles is a joke for a contender for GOAThood.

Federer at least has five weak era US Opens and two additional Craig Tiley Aussie Open's recently gained. 8-6-5-1 Tough to beat that.

But US Open might be tougher to win than French Open for him. At the French he only gets eliminated from Thiem Nadal Wawrinka and Cecchinato. So basically clay god Nadal and his one handed power playervictims which are a bad match-up for Djokovic. But on Arthur Ashe add all the youngsters, the Russians and so on on top of that ! Tougher competition. There is that big problem that Djokovic might get stuck at 3 USOs as a hard court maestro ! Even more important for him as Nadal did last year not to allow a new player to beat the old guard. He has to underline his position on Laykold - the new surface which is used in Miami now as well.

Djokovic is likely not going to win a major after 35 which will be in 2022. Especially not a physically draining US Open. His max at the USO would be 5 and his must-do is one more = 4 (total count). Even Federer won his last one's at 35 plus a gifted Aussie at 36 (because Cilic is mentally weak and Djokovic injured / dumb for not getting that operation quicker and his tournament director pigeon Tiley).

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Djokovic is likely not going to win a major after 35 which will be in 2022.
Wow.U've seen the future?

BIG3 era has taught us one thing - never underestimate them.I can easily see Nole\Rafa winning slams at 35 or even after,BUT!,like 40-15rer,they will need to make major changes to schedule by playing full force only 1-2 slams per year and etc. .So chill and watch

But i always thought that Rafa and Nole will retire around 35 with most slams\masters\weeks...But this swiss runner is still playing,so maybe they will be around a bit longer;)

Reactions: xcom

·
Banned
693 Posts
He needs one of these at least to remain his chances of reaching that record.

We all remember that most of us were conviced that Djokovic needs minimum a two-slams per year rate due to his age. Otherwise he will end at 19 maximum. He has only one so far in 2020. Wimbledon 2020 is gone forever and we all agree that it was Djokovic's tournament in recent times. Federer was injured, old and lost three times to Novak there.

Now only USO and FO remains and he needs more titles at these tournaents where he was less succesful in terms of titel count to accomplish number 20. Otherwise it is highly unlikely that Djokovic vultures enough DownUnders and SW19s till 38 to get to 20. 2 more Aussies and 1 more Wimbledon ? Come on. Please. Be realistic. We all know he wants more than 20 because Nadal will get there as well if he does not get injured. But for 20+ at least two titles have to be won on Parisien clay or on Arthur Ashe. 3 USO and 1 FO titles is a joke for a contender for GOAThood.

Federer at least has five weak era US Opens and two additional Craig Tiley Aussie Open's recently gained. 8-6-5-1 Tough to beat that.

But US Open might be tougher to win than French Open for him. At the French he only gets eliminated from Thiem Nadal Wawrinka and Cecchinato. So basically clay god Nadal and his one handed power playervictims which are a bad match-up for Djokovic. But on Arthur Ashe add all the youngsters, the Russians and so on on top of that ! Tougher competition. There is that big problem that Djokovic might get stuck at 3 USOs as a hard court maestro ! Even more important for him as Nadal did last year not to allow a new player to beat the old guard. He has to underline his position on Laykold - the new surface which is used in Miami now as well.

Djokovic is likely not going to win a major after 35 which will be in 2022. Especially not a physically draining US Open. His max at the USO would be 5 and his must-do is one more = 4 (total count). Even Federer won his last one's at 35 plus a gifted Aussie at 36 (because Cilic is mentally weak and Djokovic injured / dumb for not getting that operation quicker and his tournament director pigeon Tiley).
Naagh...
He'll play at least 3 more years. And 1 GS per year he can do without braking a sweat.
I'm guessing he'll get to 22 before he retires, while Rafa will finish at 21.

·
Banned
3,274 Posts
Was this thread really made by a Novak fan? Only a fool would doubt Novak. He will break the record no matter what happens in 2020.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow.U've seen the future?

BIG3 era has taught us one thing - never underestimate them.I can easily see Nole\Rafa winning slams at 35 or even after,BUT!,like 40-15rer,they will need to make major changes to schedule by playing full force only 1-2 slams per year and etc. .So chill and watch

But i always thought that Rafa and Nole will retire around 35 with most slams\masters\weeks...But this swiss runner is still playing,so maybe they will be around a bit longer;)
Yes, you can have a good image from the future by looking in the past.

Their bodies fall apart. They need strong medicine to ignore the pain. It is a question of time when the tolerance border is crossed and they are physically done. Every major after 35 is highly unlikely. The young guns will make them run.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Every major after 35 is highly unlikely. The young guns will make them run.
Yes.And that's why they will need to adjust their schedule: by playing 1-2 slams and 4-5 masters per year.But i don't believe they are going to play as long as 40-15rer.My prediction about Rafole was always 35-36 at max

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Was this thread really made by a Novak fan? Only a fool would doubt Novak. He will break the record no matter what happens in 2020.
It is not only about "Novak". It is also about his body, age, interest in many stuff (contrary to one-minded Nadal who fully focuses on his tennis only) and about the Corona break and politics (Mirka's masterplan) and most important god's will.
Wimbledon 2019, let us not forget that that was not just Novak but a divine intervention as well. That is why Djokovic thankfully raises his finger, his eyes and head to heaven to thank the allmighty who blessed him after matches or important rallyes. Never forget this fact.

·
Banned
3,274 Posts
Novak is not a quitter and you should never doubt him. You should ask the mods to lock or delete this thread.

·
Banned
3,274 Posts
I'm very confident that Novak will win USO/RG, but he will break the slam record no matter what happens in 2020. It's not a must as you think it is.

·
Banned
693 Posts
Yes.And that's why they will need to adjust their schedule: by playing 1-2 slams and 4-5 masters per year.But i don't believe they are going to play as long as 40-15rer.My prediction about Rafole was always 35-36 at max
My guess is at least another 3 years. Novak is 33 now and 3 more years look easy.
Also, Novak physically looks better than ever - and I believe that he'll even get tougher during the next 2 years. Nadal is a different story (imo).
He'll benefit from doing what Federer did - simplify, shorten the points, get more aggressive. Pretty much what Becker was advocating.
Given his cerebral nature - Novak will do exactly that.
My bet is on Novak getting 22 GSs before he retires. If not more.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Well, if he remains physically healthy over the rest of his career, I think he will most likely break Federer's Slam record, regardless of whether he wins another Slam in 2020 or not.

But you have to take into account the possibility of injuries. There is no guarantee that he won't face injury or some physical setback in the coming years. As a result, the probability of him reaching or breaking the GS record would in fact drop significantly if he can't win either USO or RG 2020.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
I think that even Djokovic fans have to admit that the global pandemics may be a little stronger than Novak himself, which basically make it a decisive factor in this race (whether someone like it or not). Novak already stayed without W 2020. The rest of the season may be cancelled. Reliable vaccine may come who knows when, which makes the whole 2021 a big question mark. Even without all of this, I was thinking that trailing -3 and -2 while Rafa takes 1 every single year and while younger players, especially Thiem, are getting better, may be a little too much to overcome. But in these circumstances? Novak would need almost a miracle.

·
Banned
693 Posts
I think that even Djokovic fans have to admit that the global pandemics may be a little stronger than Novak himself, which basically make it a decisive factor in this race (whether someone like it or not). Novak already stayed without W 2020. The rest of the season may be cancelled. Reliable vaccine may come who knows when, which makes the whole 2021 a big question mark. Even without all of this, I was thinking that trailing -3 and -2 while Rafa takes 1 every single year and while younger players, especially Thiem, are getting better, may be a little too much to overcome. But in these circumstances? Novak would need almost a miracle.
a miracle?
Naagh... It's all under control. Business as usual in the next 3 years and we'll laugh at this discussion when we look back. I'm already laughin'.
Novak: 22 GSs, Weeks @ #1 - 350, and everything else.
GOAT today, GOAT forever.

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
It is not only about "Novak". It is also about his body, age, interest in many stuff (contrary to one-minded Nadal who fully focuses on his tennis only) and about the Corona break and politics (Mirka's masterplan) and most important god's will.
Wimbledon 2019, let us not forget that that was not just Novak but a divine intervention as well. That is why Djokovic thankfully raises his finger, his eyes and head to heaven to thank the allmighty who blessed him after matches or important rallyes. Never forget this fact.

So much truth in this thread.

·
Banned
693 Posts

So much truth in this thread.
His swing is just awful. Too stiff. Left side starts moving before the swing starts and his follow thru is atrocious. I can't imagine he can break under double-bogey on any course.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
a miracle?
Naagh... It's all under control. Business as usual in the next 3 years and we'll laugh at this discussion when we look back. I'm already laughin'.
Novak: 22 GSs, Weeks @ #1 - 350, and everything else.
GOAT today, GOAT forever.
Thing is that we shouldn't base our decision who is the GOAT on the plain numbers only. No serious sport does such thing (ultimate basketball GOAT is MJ, enough said), and no serious analysts and fans of the game do that either, because, unlike Fedtards and simpletons, they know better. Having GS record is nice, but that alone does NOT make someone the GOAT - we have to look at all the circumstances to determine who is really the one.

Reactions: VyRa | esq.

·
Registered
7,180 Posts
Yep, he's not beating Nadal or Thiem (especially BOTH) at RG, and he can be upset by a few others. He should focus 100% on the USO.

·
Banned
693 Posts
Thing is that we shouldn't base our decision who is the GOAT on the plain numbers only. No serious sport does such thing (ultimate basketball GOAT is MJ, enough said), and no serious analysts and fans of the game do that either, because, unlike Fedtards and simpletons, they know better. Having GS record is nice, but that alone does NOT make someone the GOAT - we have to look at all the circumstances to determine who is really the one.
All true.
To me - Novak is the GOAT because he has superior H2H against both Rafa and Fed, plus he has 4-in-a-row slams, plus a career masters... which neither Rafa or Roger can dream of. Also he's ahead in most other stats.
He's the GOAT already.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts