• No

Votes: 4 28.6%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are your opinions, if Chatrier had roof this year, would organizers closed it for one or both SF matches and would it be the right thing to do?

Apparently, only wind rule in tennis is that it's not playable when objects are flying onto the court, but that seems like some 19th century rule. Tennis ball weighs 56.0–59.4 g (1.98–2.10 ounces), so it's a very light object, easily influenced by moderate to high wind speeds. Shouldn't tennis have a rule that states that with wind speed at certain knots/m/s value makes for conditions which are unplayable?

I know darcis_forehand made (great) similar thread in satire fashion but I thought we need a more serious one.

·
Registered
6,939 Posts
What are your opinions, if Chatrier had roof this year, would organizers closed it for one or both SF matches and would it be the right thing to do?

Apparently, only wind rule in tennis is that it's not playable when objects are flying onto the court, but that seems like some 19th century rule. Tennis ball weighs 56.0–59.4 g (1.98–2.10 ounces), so it's a very light object, easily influenced by moderate to high wind speeds. Shouldn't tennis have a rule that states that with wind speed at certain knots/m/s value makes for conditions which are unplayable?

I know darcis_forehand made (great) similar thread in satire fashion but I thought we need a more serious one.
My opinion is that the amount of salt they could extract from you right now would fill up Chatrier right to where a roof would be so we should somehow find some engineers to take advantage of that.

I'd also suggest that a Djokovic fan talking about a roof after his petulant display the past 2 days and after Djokovic's preference for playing with a roof closed with the sun shining in Wimbledon is probably not the best look even for you.

·
Registered
9,237 Posts
At least one umbrella flew into the court during Djokovic-Thiem SF.
Perhaps objects that are flying into court should exceed certain weight threshold?

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
My opinion is that the amount of salt they could extract from you right now would fill up Chatrier right to where a roof would be so we should somehow find some engineers to take advantage of that.

I'd also suggest that a Djokovic fan talking about a roof after his petulant display the past 2 days and after Djokovic's preference for playing with a roof closed with the sun shining in Wimbledon is probably not the best look even for you.
So you think no strict wind rule should exist in tennis? And please stay on topic. Thanks!

·
Registered
10,409 Posts
Wind is a bit weird. Very annoying, but as long as the ball isn't blown away, say, during a ball toss, it represents no danger, unlike rain, that would cause you to slip and hurt yourself. You could close the roof if the ball cannot be kept in play otherwise.

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
This the problem once 1 roof was put into afect. Now every excuse comes to mind because not all have roofs.

In my view only wimby needed a roof. Maybe 2 because of the rain.
AO, US and RG dont need roofs.

But because people nowadays are brats so let there be roofs.

As for wind conditions it was bad this week. But we all so Fedal play amd nnone used as an excuse. Only Nole and hjis tards.
I warned you guys after wimby18, that foor crap was going to come back and haunt you.

Nole was crap yesterday and it wasnt because of the roof.
Nole has always had a hard time in RG sf and Finals.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
This the problem once 1 roof was put into afect. Now every excuse comes to mind because not all have roofs.

In my view only wimby needed a roof. Maybe 2 because of the rain.

But because people nowadays are brats so let there be roofs.

As for wind conditions it was bad this week. But we all so Fedal play amd nnone used as an excuse. Only Nole and hjis tards.
I warned you guys after wimby18, that foor crap was going to come back and haunt you.

Nole was crap yesterday and it wasnt because of the roof.
Nole has always had a hard time in RG sf and Finals.
so you rather have both players and crowds waiting for a washout to be over instead? :scratch:

·
Registered
832 Posts
It's hard to say. Ideally, a tennis match should be played without significant interference from outside elements. A normal breeze, light rain, or high temperatures alone definitely shouldn't lead to matches being suspended or postponed, of course, but a line has to be drawn somewhere. So they do have measures in place like with that bulb index at AO for extreme heat/humidity.

Tennis is also obviously an outdoor sport and it's unrealistic to demand every tournament to have a roof. However, regarding the grand slams, these are the biggest tournaments with the best players and the most epic matches. What happened at Roland Garros the past few days was incredibly disappointing - we had a blockbuster semifinal line up, and yet due to the conditions the matches were reduced to ugly, unmemorable, error-filled battles of attrition. It hurts the sport itself when amazing opportunities like this for the fans are spoiled by crappy weather. At this point in time, all of the grand slams should have roofs on the main courts.

Wind is trickier to characterize in terms of stopping matches. There isn't that "danger" factor like there is with wet surfaces due to rain and risk of heat illness with extreme temperatures. But apparently there is an extreme wind rule that I wasn't aware of?

·
Registered
956 Posts
The organisation of this RG has been horrendous. What makes it worse is that they had a staggering line-up and set of matches in the 2nd week. With that quality of talent we had only 1 epic match to remember (Tsitsi v Wawrinka).

1. The lack of a roof – sure they are finally going to have one for 2020, some rumours that it might be delayed further but I can’t see how they’d allow that after this sh*tshow.
2. The lack of lights – lights are relatively cheap in the grand scheme of things and they still don’t have any. My local club has lights and they charge £4 per hour per person. No excuse for RG to not have any.
3. The scheduling – whichever way you look at it, whether it’s player power or incompetence on the part of the organisers – the scheduling has been horrendous. Time and time again they are reactive and when they need to be pro-active they have got it wrong. Rain came when it wasn’t supposed to and it didn’t come when it was supposed to.
4. An extra day in this slam and they still somehow manage to run out of time. How in the blue quack can you be so incompetent that you run late with an extra day?

Regardless of the outcome tomorrow and the quality of the match I think that most people will agree that the tournament has been shocking.

·
Registered
10 Posts

Couldn't have said it better myself!!! :grin2:

·
Registered
956 Posts
Djokovic's preference for playing with a roof closed with the sun shining in Wimbledon
When are you going to drop this nonsense? They asked Djokovic and Nadal, based on the rules at the time, Djokovic was allowed to have the roof closed and he opted for it. Djokovic took advantage of the situation in the same way many players do. In fact Djokovic should be given a round of applause and more players should be taught to use the rules of the sport to their advantage.

If I were a tennis player I would use as many challenges as I could strategically and I'd stick my middle finger up to the snobs who'd accuse me of gamesmenship.

·
Registered
272 Posts
We have all played tennis in wind. it happens and is part of the elements of an outdoor court. If it happens on the day, so be it. These are the best of the best in the world. If I play in wind, they can too. It might change results of matches, but that's part of sport and adapting better. It is equal conditions for both. If you're going to call yourself an outdoor slam, it must remain outdoors in playable conditions.

·
Registered
57,597 Posts
It would have, and its an indictment of this horribly run event not only in that they don't have facilities needed to finish that match in a normal fashion, but also that they didn't better prepare for the weather which was known in advance.

Djokovic was still a petulant asshole about it tho.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Just shows how you, bunch of angry tennis, are more disturbed by wind and rain happening far from you thant all the pro tennis players that actually already played or trained multiple times under such conditions during their lives.

They all went on court and played, instead of whine like you guys.

·
Registered
6,532 Posts

In my view only wimby needed a roof.
Maybe 2 because of the rain.

[...]
There were several interruptions and an entire day cancelled these past weeks. You also had this:

Because of a congestion fixture list due to rain, tournament organisers made the WTA matches take place on the outer courts.

And barely any supporters turned up at 10am (BST) to watch the women in action, which took an edge out of the matches.

·
Registered
7,624 Posts
If I was the supervisor I would've closed it on Friday, for the 2nd match at least. The combination of strong wind and likely rain would have justified that. Dealing with the weather is part of the sport, to some extend, but playing 7 Bo5 matches is already hard enough as it is, no need to make the players suffer even more if it can be easily avoided.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Roof won't be closed for wind.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Closing roof for wind seems weak. Extreme wind tennis is unusual and hilarious to watch. That some players find the wind more difficult to deal with than others is a deserved advantage for the latter, as that is a skill too.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts