Votes: 1 6.7%
  • 5+ more (Borg is the true GOAT)

Votes: 6 40.0%
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Late 1981, Borg just lost to McEnroe (again) at the US Open and essentially quits after refusing to play the 10 manditory events stiputated that would allow him to enter slams.

Had Borg been allowed to play less than the 10 offical events a year and carried on playing how many more slams would he have picked up?

his record 78-81 is as follows: W-W-F-W-W-QF-W-W-F-W-F-F

Slam winners in 82, 83 and 84.

FO: Wilander-Noah-Lendl
WIM: Connors-McEnroe-McEnroe
USO: Connors-Connors-McEnroe

Those French Open's look tasty, suspect MugEnroe's slump was partly due to the lack of Borg to spur him on, Connors fluking 3 extra slams, overated disgrace.

I pick 3.

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
Late 1981, Borg just lost to McEnroe (again) at the US Open and essentially quits after refusing to play the 10 manditory events stiputated that would allow him to enter slams.
That´s a conspiracy.

We all know Borg retired due to a silent ban.

·
Registered
6,930 Posts
would have seen a swift and sharp decline shortly..All early bloomers seemed to flow that script in that era..Even it is catching up to Nadal in whole different epoch....Mcenroe was already shutting the Wimbledon doors on him..I would say he wins one more French ..

·
Registered
12,644 Posts
Who knows? He just didn't have it in him any more ... I was a kid and his huge fan. I started watching tennis because of Borg. He was like a rock star.

Everything was different at that time. Borg hated playing night matches at the USO. He didn't even bother playing the AO (he showed up there only once in 1974 If I remember correctly). Again he didn't eve care too much about the USO.

Extremely talented base liner. His fitness was amazing. He sort of revolutionized tennis.

I do agree with people that he just didn't care at the end. JMac was a factor but I think that was a myth too.

What many young posters here don't know is that, at that time, players didn't really 'count' majors. Wimbledon was a holly grail ... all other majors were important but not as much as W. It was so much difficult to win with those little wooden racquets.

That's why I still consider Borg as on of the best players in the world.

Had he taken certain thins more seriously, he could've been right there with Fed. I'll go as far as to say 5/7 more slams. He was only 25/26 when he retired.

JMac, with his big mouth, wouldn't have even dared to misbehave when playing Borg. Never. He respected him so much. Borg never showed his emotions on the court but he was 'burning inside' as he mentioned after he retired.

Freaking nostalgia, I can go on and on about Borg. Darn, I'm getting old ;)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Who knows? He just didn't have it in him any more ... I was a kid and his huge fan. I started watching tennis because of Borg. He was like a rock star.

Everything was different at that time. Borg hated playing night matches at the USO. He didn't even bother playing the AO (he showed up there only once in 1974 If I remember correctly). Again he didn't eve care too much about the USO.

Extremely talented base liner. His fitness was amazing. He sort of revolutionized tennis.

I do agree with people that he just didn't care at the end. JMac was a factor but I think that was a myth too.

What many young posters here don't know is that, at that time, players didn't really 'count' majors. Wimbledon was a holly grail ... all other majors were important but not as much as W. It was so much difficult to win with those little wooden racquets.

That's why I still consider Borg as on of the best players in the world.

Had he taken certain thins more seriously, he could've been right there with Fed. I'll go as far as to say 5/7 more slams. He was only 25/26 when he retired.

JMac, with his big mouth, wouldn't have even dared to misbehave when playing Borg. Never. He respected him so much. Borg never showed his emotions on the court but he was 'burning inside' as he mentioned after he retired.

Freaking nostalgia, I can go on and on about Borg. Darn, I'm getting old ;)
Agree with all of this. I'm also old enough to remember him. That 1980 Wimbledon final is still for the greatest tennis match I've ever seen and it's not even close. McEnroe on a good day was an incredible player and he was right on his game that day but it wasn't quite enough.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts

Had Borg been allowed to play less than the 10 offical events a year and carried on playing how many more slams would he have picked up?

his record 78-81 is as follows: W-W-F-W-W-QF-W-W-F-W-F-F

Slam winners in 82, 83 and 84.
U
FO: Wilander-Noah-Lendl
WIM: Connors-McEnroe-McEnroe
USO: Connors-Connors-McEnroe

Those French Open's look tasty, suspect MugEnroe's slump was partly due to the lack of Borg to spur him on, Connors fluking 3 extra slams, overated disgrace.

I pick 3.
Might have won one more FO. But he wouldn't have been a factor at the other 3

·
Registered
12,644 Posts
Agree with all of this. I'm also old enough to remember him. That 1980 Wimbledon final is still for the greatest tennis match I've ever seen and it's not even close. McEnroe on a good day was an incredible player and he was right on his game that day but it wasn't quite enough.
yeah, good old times :). I managed to find the complete match, 1981 ... I hope than our young tennis fans can enjoy it. There are many clips of Borg's matches on you tube ...

So posting this for 'tennis youngsters' here. Enjoy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts