Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could he possibly be a Top 5 player?

With a poor backhand and return of serve, he is already top 10 in this era, with decent results on all surfaces. His best and most natural surface is clay, but his most accomplished surface is HC. He is decent on grass as evident from last year.

He has a great Serve and FH combo, ad well as decent movement and ground strokes. With a BH and ROS that develops into a weapon or at least less of a liability and more stable, can he become a top 5 player with occasional threats to the players on top?

·
Premium Member
11,789 Posts
Could he possibly be a Top 5 player?

With a poor backhand and return of serve, he is already top 10 in this era, with decent results on all surfaces. His best and most natural surface is clay, but his most accomplished surface is HC. He is decent on grass as evident from last year.

He has a great Serve and FH combo, ad well as decent movement and ground strokes. With a BH and ROS that develops into a weapon or at least less of a liability and more stable, can he become a top 5 player with occasional threats to the players on top?
Same could be said about any player and their weakness.

Tsonga was good proof that you do not need to have a world class backhand and return of serve to stay in the top.

·
Registered
22,082 Posts
The answer is a certain yes, but you don't need me to tell you that things don't work out like that. I think that making his weaknesses less of a liability would be about the best he could accomplish. Almost never do you see a player who's already in his mid-twenties turn a relative weakness into a weapon, though he should obviously look to maximise any potential within any stroke.

·
Registered
758 Posts
"IF" is doing a lot of work in this question.

·
Registered
5,457 Posts
I would argue in a different way: he has optimized serve & FH and the way he uses these weapons as much as he could to even overachieve talent-wise.

·
Banned
3,263 Posts
His problem is he’s like 6’5 210 lbs so those weaknesses are almost guaranteed with players that size. There are some exceptions to that but it’s generally the norm

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
I would go as far as to say he’d be absolutely dominant. These weaknesses are way to big unfortunately. It’s impressive he’s as good as he is in the modern game with such big weaknesses though.

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
Has very similar weapons & body dimensions to Delpo but needs refining in footwork which will help improve the BH & ROS & then he may b on his way to becoming a healthier version of Delpo.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
With a BH and ROS that develops into a weapon or at least less of a liability and more stable, can he become a top 5 player with occasional threats to the players on top?
His BH is way too poor for it to ever become a weapon. Even the 'less of a liability' is a long shot, it is so, so poor.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts