Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
....or if Novak doesn't win this title because of the bad air and weather conditions - would Federer's number of slams advantage become officially asterisked? Especially in case if Fed and Nole end up with the same number of slams, or if Fed ends up with just 1 more?

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Why is the first GS of the year still played in Australia?

That's the real question. Weather is normally inhuman at this time of the year, bushfires, too far from where tennis action normally occurs and Australia isn't a tennis power anymore.

AO should be permanently moved elsewhere in Europe, Spain being the most obvious place.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Why is the first GS of the year still played in Australia?

That's the real question. Weather is normally inhuman at this time of the year, bushfires, too far from where tennis action normally occurs and Australia isn't a tennis power anymore.

AO should be permanently moved elsewhere in Europe, Spain being the most obvious place.
Europe is the last place that should get another major tournament.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Mmm... Australia has top-1 ranked player with Grand Slam title in women's part, and couple of top-30 young guys in men's.
That's peanuts in the great scheme of things if you ask me.

And what about Great Britain and France, are they real tennis power now?
France is, a slamless one but a power nonetheless. Britain is utterly irrelevant but Wimby isn't and they invented the whole thing after all.

I love AO, don't get me wrong but any cool-headed asessment will inevitably conclude it makes no sense in its current location.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Europe is the last place that should get another major tournament.
Why so? Several small European countries, not to mention big ones, are more tennis-relevant than Australia, are not in the antipodes from where most players are (69% Europeans or near in current top100) and don't have bushfires at this time of the year.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Yeah. But at this time of the year Europe has... winter.
Since when is Southern Europe's winter a problem to play tennis? Also crowd is used to go to football stadiums under all kind of conditions. I concede it isn't optimal weather but not hazardous like 45°C heat or unbreathable air.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Yep and I am not sure @Bakano meant he wants an Indoor Slam in Spain...

I thought it was an attempt to get another Clay Slam gifted to Rafa but maybe I am wrong and evil minded.
No need indoor here. No clay, if it replaces AO it shoud be HC although in the long run would make sense to swift surfaces with RG, since the French are pretty useless on clay if honestly assessing

·
Premium Member
8,586 Posts
No need indoor here. No clay, if it replaces AO it shoud be HC.
Druze,

Living in Nîmes I am your neighbour and I know about Global Warming and Drought but a Mid January Slam even in Andalucia could be some risky buisiness....

Or may be playing in Tenerife or Gran Canaria ?????

Believe me or not I would like to be a car or a train drive from a January Slam but it is IMO not the better option.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Druze,

Living in Nîmes I am your neighbour and I know about Global Warming and Drought but a Mid January Slam even in Andalucia could be some risky buisiness....

Or may be playing in Tenerife or Gran Canaria ?????

Believe me or not I would like to be a car or a train drive from a January Slam but it is IMO not the better option.
I agree it isn't the ideal situation but way less risky than inhumane heat as it happens every year at AO or bushfires which are unpredictable but sadly more and more often and widespread in Australia. Plus the other mentioned factors weighed in (specially less travel/jetlag for the overwhelming majority of players) and we have a case.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
There is no point to discuss it because Grand Slam is about traditions. And relocation will make just another tournament, and without history behind it, it won't be that prestigious.
Money will make it pretigious just like it did for AO, an event most top players did not bother to attend until fairly recently.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Leave it to a NadaI fanbot to outpost anyone on this thread as for change of venue whiIe never underestimate EI padrino aka the Godfakerer to have it moved to Espana.

·
|
13,677 Posts
....or if Novak doesn't win this title because of the bad air and weather conditions - would Federer's number of slams advantage become officially asterisked? Especially in case if Fed and Nole end up with the same number of slams, or if Fed ends up with just 1 more?
The world doesn't take Djokovic seriously, so it makes no difference.
Its always about Rafa and Federer.
And no asterisks exist in tennis anyway.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts