Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Forum Umpire:, Gaston Gaudio,
124,507 Posts
Doesn't matter, the right team won the Davis Cup for 2007.

It's simple the Russians didn't expect Blake to beat Youzhny, once that happened as the Americans would say "ball game".

That could have only happened on Day 2, as Andreev is ranked higher than Tursunov.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Doesn't matter, the right team won the Davis Cup for 2007.

It's simple the Russians didn't expect Blake to beat Youzhny, once that happened as the Americans would say "ball game".

That could have only happened on Day 2, as Andreev is ranked higher than Tursunov.
Why didn't they just have Andreev play Roddick in the opening match for security measure. He has a better record against Roddick and is higher ranked. Then if Blake beats Youzhny, they just have him play Roddick again and if Blake loses to Youzhny they have him play Roddick again anyway.

·
Forum Umpire:, Gaston Gaudio,
124,507 Posts
Why didn't they just have Andreev play Roddick in the opening match for security measure. He has a better record against Roddick and is higher ranked. Then if Blake beats Youzhny, they just have him play Roddick again and if Blake loses to Youzhny they have him play Roddick again anyway.
Do you understand how Davis Cup works? On the first day the number 1s play the opposition number 2s and then on the 3rd day the number 1s play in the 4th match and then the second singles player in the 5th matches.

·
Premium Member
9,871 Posts
Their best bet was what they did. They played the 2 guys who beat Andy and James last year in the semis. Makes sense to me. :shrug:

·
Premium Member
24,603 Posts
If I were Tarpischev, I'd have been trying to line up Tursunov with Blake...but the rankings prevented this from being a possibility (Tursunov was 4th ranked in the team).

Roddick was going to win both singles anyway, and the Bryans weren't going to lose...so, no, this would have made no difference to the overall result, imo, although the tie had a good chance of being live into a 4th rubber, on the Sunday.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts