Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
17,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One:

Federer is the most talented and best player of all time for a peak performance.

By peak I don't mean year or even tournament, but any given match that could be his best, will be better than the opponent's best.

Two:

That Federer is also the mentally weakest of the three, and most matches between them will neutralize to some kind of close affair, in which Federer often will come out second best.

Serious.

Responses.

ONLY.

·
Registered
17,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don't know who Wittgenstein is, probably a terrible tennis player, I don't know how you can drink a city and we don't need to establish anything.

This was a serious response.
You think I'm joking with this?

Reactions: enlightenedth

·
Registered
7,020 Posts
I don't think Federer has the highest peak for a single match, he has the highest "consistent peak" ever. I don't think anyone will dominate ever again as he did in 2004-2007, it was extremely hard to beat him in big matches except for Nadal on clay. Especially from US Open 2004 to Dubai 2007, he was almost unbeatable on hard and grass, and on clay if it wasn't for Nadal. But for a single match, I think a few ballbashers can match him or surpass him. That's taking all surfaces into account, for a single surface, it's obviously Nadal on clay.

He is CLEARLY the weakest mentally of the 3. Nadal is clearly the strongest, Djokovic had a very crap period from late 2012 to mid-2014 mentally, but aside from that he's strong as well in that department, but that period stops him from competing with Nadal who's been very strong basically always (also that 2009-2010 slump was partly mental). Federer had some big mental performances, like Wimbledon 2009, and AO 2017, but there were far more close matches he lost than the ones he won. AO 2005, USO 2010, USO 2011, Wimbledon 2008, Wimbledon 2019, etc.

·
Registered
824 Posts
The answer to the GOAT, peak level and mental strength GOAT questions remains the same as it has for 50+ years: Laver. Recency bias tards should stop with the bigging up of comparative non entities e.g. Nadal, Federer and Djokovic.

Reactions: John1964

·
MONSOON season.
82,208 Posts
Something something language games.

I'm currently drinking a blend of shiraz and grenache myself.

·
Registered
17,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't think Federer has the highest peak for a single match, he has the highest "consistent peak" ever. I don't think anyone will dominate ever again as he did in 2004-2007, it was extremely hard to beat him in big matches except for Nadal on clay. Especially from US Open 2004 to Dubai 2007, he was almost unbeatable on hard and grass, and on clay if it wasn't for Nadal. But for a single match, I think a few ballbashers can match him or surpass him. That's taking all surfaces into account, for a single surface, it's obviously Nadal on clay.

He is CLEARLY the weakest mentally of the 3. Nadal is clearly the strongest, Djokovic had a very crap period from late 2012 to mid-2014 mentally, but aside from that he's strong as well in that department, but that period stops him from competing with Nadal who's been very strong basically always (also that 2009-2010 slump was partly mental). Federer had some big mental performances, like Wimbledon 2009, and AO 2017, but there were far more close matches he lost than the ones he won. AO 2005, USO 2010, USO 2011, Wimbledon 2008, Wimbledon 2019, etc.
No sorry, consistent peak is just a fancier wording for being born in the right / more comfortable era.

He didn't all of a sudden drop off massively in 2008, 09, etc. tennis just got deeper, and much better at top level.

Reactions: BodyServe

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Drinks wine and reads some pretentious shit to post it on mtf.

Cool kid alert

·
Super Moderator
9,373 Posts
Don't know who Wittgenstein is, probably a terrible tennis player, I don't know how you can drink a city and we don't need to establish anything.

This was a serious response.
On a serious note Wittgenstein used to play tennis with his life partner (a guy). Quite a mediocre player tho

Reactions: jojjeshruk

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Nadal mentally strongest on clay for sure, but on any other surface it's just a myth.

Very difficult to describe Djokovic as mentally strong when he has done so much weird stuff on and off court.

Federer's talent level was so high, that when someone could compete with him through physicality and athleticism, he found it difficult to adjust. As if he couldn't quite work out why talent alone was not always sufficient. In those cases, it would have been better if he was slightly less gifted, and been forced to work out the answer by intense application and focus.

·
Registered
6,864 Posts
GOAT megathread is that way 👉

Reactions: Ilkae

·
Registered
21,903 Posts
The drunk ramblings of a madman, the depths this forum has sunk to!

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
The drunk ramblings of a madman, the depths this forum has sunk to!
Nothing compared to some of yours praising Maduro and such! We can only hope you are mostly impaired.

Reactions: Murray Mint

·
Registered
21,903 Posts
Nothing compared to some of yours praising Maduro and such! We can only hope you are mostly impaired.
Today would be a good day to worry about your own country

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Great combo of Bordeaux and Wittgenstein.

1) JesusFed is the highest level a tennis player has ever played on a grass court and hard court. No one can cope with JesusFed on these courts - slow, medium, medium-fast, fast, with or without a roof on top - it doesn't matter. JesusFed is almost unplayable.

2) Nadal in the demon clay monster obsessed zone on red dirt is the second highest level ever in mens tennis.

3) Bordeaux drunk Wittgenstein inspired Budda is right: Fed's failure to replicate JesusFed consistently and in critical moments shows he is the mentally weakest of Big 3.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
I'll give the OP this: consistency.

If there is somebody even more overrated than Federer, it's Wittgenstein.

You do pick your faves. 😛

1 - 20 of 43 Posts