Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
9,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ah, so anyway, basically, I've been given this mini-role as tennis writer at this place and my first assignment is to write about the Wimbledon junior champion Noah Rubin. Now I could use google and all sorts, but a lot of the information that will most likely be provided will be cliche there. So as I know some of you maniacs follow the lower echelons of the game and are familiar with jouney-men and young prospects working their way up and through the ranks, I thought where better place to start?

Emotion, you have an effortless passion for this level of tennis and a sharp eye for youthful spark, as I noticed your Phillip Davydenko spot. Could you give me any insight on the kid?

Strengths, weaknesses. Personality characteristics, whether he has that va-av-voom to make it top 50, 40, 30 or whatever ... and if so what is it?

All that sort of stuff, anything unique about him. Rich family, middle class family, working class, lower? Family plays? How he got into the sport. Just some brief recaps.

I'm going to be doing some video analysis on the kid as well. So that may help me, but will appreciate ALL of your assistance and feedback too.

Cheers fellas.

·
Registered
33,355 Posts
One weakness about him I'd say is his height. He is around 5ft8/9 , or something like that. Not very tall. Could be tough for him when he plays seniors.

·
Banned
9,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Alright, so so far I've got that he's small, with most likely a good low center of gravity and has compact ground-strokes I'm assuming? Hence his ability on grass being rather decent?

Looks to have good nifty foot-work and is very technically good on both his ground-strokes. Compact swings allowing very little to go wrong. There's an air of Nishikori about him, but like you say Joe, doesn't appear to have the biggest serve.

Aggressive forehand and can inject the pace into his shots, but is more than capable of defending and counter-punching from the back. He may need a bit more of a serve to give himself a chance of putting the other areas of his game to positive effect when on the challenger and main tour.

·
Banned
9,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i grew up playing his brother max in juniors.

noah is very quick around the court
You've played in the amateur leagues against his brother and seen him compete. You've gotta be able to give me more than he's very quick around the court.

He's quick at getting his feet in the right positions before every shot, allowing for clean and solid technique. His preparation with the feet, a natural. Am I right?

·
Banned
9,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Seems to lack a bit of power off the ground, though he is only 17. Flattens out the backhand a little bit more, but absorbs power well and has a naturally good hand to eye coordination. Agreed?

·
Your visions will happen
47,134 Posts
Saw him play in 2011 at the Nationals in Delray Beach where he lost in the finals to Luca Corinteli.

First thing I can say is he is one cocky motherfucker, holy shit. And at his height, you need that. New York, train in McEnroe's academy for a time. Short, yes, but very quick, Nishikori like would be a good comparison, but he has much more gravitas than Kei.

He can make the big time absolutely. If Ferrer and Nishikori can do it at that height in this era so can he.

·
Registered
57,596 Posts
I see Davydenko in him. Seems very fast too, and with the serve as a weakness. Wonder how his volleys are, if Davy had been more capable at net that would have helped him a lot. He has a volley "winner" in that video- but I'm about 90% sure the ball was out :lol:

Somehow haven't ever seen him play a match, so this is all going from that one video.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts