Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve always been a Roger Federer fan since I was 8 years old watching him face Sampras in 2001 when my father was rooting for Sampras. After this tragic passing of Kobe I’ve started thinking how silly it is to try and define who the “greatest of all time” is. Personally Federer will be my GOAT, but I took a step back and thought about how incredibly fortunate we are to watch 3 of the greatest tennis players ever to touch a court play at the same time. These moments are fleeting and in 5-10 years we won’t be able to enjoy these 3 players on television providing endless entertainment and writing history. I just want to say thank you to Djokovic, Nadal, and Federer for making up such an important part of my childhood and young adult life. I also want to thank this subreddit for making it so fun to root for these players as they challenge each other year in and year out.

·
Registered
175 Posts
It can be a glorious time to some people. On the other hand, to someone like me, who used to be a big Roddick fan, it was once a disastrous period, where my favorite could have won more major titles in other eras. Well, in terms of quality of the game, I must admit we're bless to witness it for such a long span of time. Now I appreciate what Federer has done for the game, raising it to another level. I wish the era would last for good.

·
Registered
645 Posts
What is being lucky when we die and never exist again? Is there any good reason to feel lucky and truly care about irrelevant things like this. No, there is not. All you should concentrate is being miserable and center your thoughts in death and nothingness. Maybe you start to understand, that everything is nothing.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
^ That's a little nihilistic for my liking, but sure, why not.

On topic, I agree. We've lived in a golden tennis age over the past 10-15 years and who knows when we'll see its like again.

·
Registered
22,082 Posts
MTF members are generally without balls these days, so I'll say it. I can't wait when these three are retired. I have become bored stiff by the same people winning all of the time.

That's why I have real respect for the likes of Stanislas Wawrinka, who grabbed tennis by the balls and took the game away from his opponents. He wasn't like Andy Murray, for example, who was there or there abouts for about 1000 slams and was only able to convert during low periods.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
It was enjoyable for some time but I’m ready for a change. The same few people winning everything is boring as fuck and provides no unpredictability which is what makes tennis interesting. Yes they are 3 of the greatest of all time and their level isn’t likely to be matched by future players but unpredictability is more interesting than the level of tennis that’s being played.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
MTF members are generally without balls these days, so I'll say it. I can't wait when these three are retired. I have become bored stiff by the same people winning all of the time.

That's why I have real respect for the likes of Stanislas Wawrinka, who grabbed tennis by the balls and took the game away from his opponents. He wasn't like Andy Murray, for example, who was there or there abouts for about 1000 slams and was only able to convert during low periods.
Completely agree with you

·
Registered
6,231 Posts

To be fair, i respect Wawrinka achievements (and particularly mental game) but if you are going to say Murray won his slams in low periods then it is only fair to mention that Wawrinka beat a seriously diminished Nadal at the AO, a struggling Djokovic at the USO and even though the FO was his best win, Djokovic played in his third consecutive day which had a big impact.

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
Balls? that's now that Fed isn't just retiring but likely to lose his records. Balls you would've shown saying that 10yrs ago but then you were too bussy being a rabid Fedtroll LoL.

·
Registered
175 Posts
It's not luck. We should be grateful to be in such an extraordinary era. It's all thanks to the effort these guys have made over the years. It's not luck by any means. It's rather an insult to them to consider the situation lucky. Sorry about being a bit offensive, but I really think we will never have anything close to it in the future. We must not take the current situation for granted. We should try to consume every single minute remaining with the guys.

·
Registered
22,082 Posts
Balls? that's now that Fed isn't just retiring but likely to lose his records. Balls you would've shown saying that 10yrs ago but then you were too bussy being a rabid Fedtroll LoL.
You've already responded to me with this about 10 times. I seen it the first 10 times, just so you know.

LOL at your double account. Imagine being banned from a tennis forum.

·
Registered
22,082 Posts
To be fair, i respect Wawrinka achievements (and particularly mental game) but if you are going to say Murray won his slams in low periods then it is only fair to mention that Wawrinka beat a seriously diminished Nadal at the AO, a struggling Djokovic at the USO and even though the FO was his best win, Djokovic played in his third consecutive day which had a big impact.
Stanislas Wawrinka blitzed his opponents. Andy Murray pushed his way to titles, letting opponents fall over themselves.

I still watch some of Stanislas Wawrinka's highlights in winning those events. What a player.

·
Registered
6,231 Posts
Stanislas Wawrinka blitzed his opponents. Andy Murray pushed his way to titles, letting opponents fall over themselves.

I still watch some of Stanislas Wawrinka's highlights in winning those events. What a player.
There is no denying the contrasting style between the two and no doubt which one had more balls...

The thing is players who hit the balls like Wawrinka are generally mental midgets or peak once a year, Stanislas Wawrinka is an exception.

Soderling was my favorite player from 2008-2011 but his mental was iffy at best, even if it improved somewhat under Magnus Norman.

·
Registered
22,082 Posts
There is no denying the contrasting style between the two and no doubt which one had more balls...

The thing is players who hit the balls like Wawrinka are generally mental midgets or peak once a year, Stanislas Wawrinka is an exception.

Soderling was my favorite player from 2008-2011 but his mental was iffy at best, even if it improved somewhat under Magnus Norman.
I think even if it only comes about once a year, if you do it well enough and on a big enough stage, that's enough.

Robin Soderling was my favourite when Marat Safin retired, along with Michael Llodra, but he was a bit dodgy indeed. He played his last match at 26. For some reason, it felt as though, to me, his time was almost passing him, but in retrospect he would have had his chances and he was still relatively young considering the ages of those in this era who are doing well.

·
justice for all
15,197 Posts

Don't get me wrong. I love Stan - he's one of my favourite players, far ahead of Andy Murray. But what are you on about this Murray's "pushing"? Yes, he is a defensive player. But he also has very high tennis IQ. And last but not least he still beat Djokovic twice in grand slam finals, won ATP Finals and denied Djokovic YE no1. We should be grateful to him for this forever. Could he have won more? Maybe but that doesn't take away anything from his wins...

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
You've already responded to me with this about 10 times. I seen it the first 10 times, just so you know.

LOL at your double account. Imagine being banned from a tennis forum.
You've already responded to me with this about 10 times. I seen it the first 10 times, just so you know. 10 times wrong.

·
Registered
22,082 Posts
You've already responded to me with this about 10 times. I seen it the first 10 times, just so you know. 10 times wrong.
You've flattered me in more ways than one.

I'm glad you take such an interest in me. Long may it continue, hun.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
And you have joined MTF in 2017.. hmm.

·
Registered
22,082 Posts
Don't get me wrong. I love Stan - he's one of my favourite players, far ahead of Andy Murray. But what are you on about this Murray's "pushing"? Yes, he is a defensive player. But he also has very high tennis IQ. And last but not least he still beat Djokovic twice in grand slam finals, won ATP Finals and denied Djokovic YE no1. We should be grateful to him for this forever. Could he have won more? Maybe but that doesn't take away anything from his wins...
If Andy Murray had such a high IQ, as you put it, he wouldn't have pushed his way to many losses throughout his career, that he really could have won. The biggest instance of Andy Murray having balls and displaying his skills was against Rafael Nadal at the 2010 Australian Open.

·
justice for all
15,197 Posts
If Andy Murray had such a high IQ, as you put it, he wouldn't have pushed his way to many losses throughout his career, that he really could have won. The biggest instance of Andy Murray having balls and displaying his skills was against Rafael Nadal at the 2010 Australian Open.
You don't know about that, that's just your guess. There's another way to look at it that he maximised his potential while playing in the era of arguably three best players ever. Honestly I think you are unfair to him for whatever reason but I have no intention to argue with you about it so let's just leave it there.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts