Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I find it incredibily annoying when players say this before a match or say "I just played my game" afterwards. No good reason, it just rubs me the wrong way. Am I on my own here? Are their player cliches that irk anyone else?

·
Registered
5,734 Posts
Their job is to play tennis, not to be spokesmen. They have to answer the same questions (sometimes stupid ones) over and over again for years. They have to do the press even if they don't want to or they have nothing to say in fact. Why should they tell you what they really think? They shouldn't. But as the press thing is obligatory they all start to use cliche answers to cliche questions sooner or later. You would do the same on their place.

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
If anyone says they never looked at the draw, then they must be pretty scared of finding someone else (IE: Federer) in there section.

I would acaully prefer to know my draw that way I can prepare for who ever, If i ever got that far.

·
Anastasia Komananov, KGB
53,509 Posts
"I'm up against one of the best players of all time, there's not a lot I can do"

(when playing Federer)

Umm - you could try. :)

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
"I just focused/concentrated on my own game" mostly the bitches say that when asked about their opponents antics/shrieks or other annoying behaviour.

·
Registered
7,913 Posts
I find it incredibily annoying when players say this before a match or say "I just played my game" afterwards. No good reason, it just rubs me the wrong way. Am I on my own here? Are their player cliches that irk anyone else?
OMG THANK YOU. That phrase pisses me off so much.

·
Registered
312 Posts
after a loss, "i didn't play 100%" or "i only played at about 80% today", and this is a specific WTA justine henin comment, but maybe you know of other references "i learned how to win without playing my best"

just annoying, not everyone plays their best everyday...

·
Registered
6,071 Posts
Serena Williams is the worst with those excuses by far
after a loss, "i didn't play 100%" or "i only played at about 80% today", and this is a specific WTA justine henin comment, but maybe you know of other references "i learned how to win without playing my best"

just annoying, not everyone plays their best everyday...

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Their job is to play tennis, not to be spokesmen. They have to answer the same questions (sometimes stupid ones) over and over again for years. They have to do the press even if they don't want to or they have nothing to say in fact. Why should they tell you what they really think? They shouldn't. But as the press thing is obligatory they all start to use cliche answers to cliche questions sooner or later. You would do the same on their place.
Correct answer. The more benign cliches a player uses, the more mature they are with handling the press.

And I just want to say how proud I am to be part of the great intellectual community that is MTF. The great minds on this forum really force me to raise my game to a whole new level.

I just have to play my game out here and really go for my shots.

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
Before a match:

"_____ is a great champion, it'll be a tough match"
I hate that quote more than anything. Esp. When someone like Blake, who is in the top 10, is saying that.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
I guess it's just for the media, you will never see a player saying "I'm going to get trashed/I'm going to demolish this guy" and afterward saying "oh my ass is hurting" because he lost.

IMO it's just a way to be polite, but for sure it can be annoying sometimes.

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
yeah serena is the worst about saying she was not playing well at all but she does not use cliches LOL. Instead she says that an "impostor was playing her match" or that she was '3000 notches below her usual level" or even that "all she had to do was show up".

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Before a match:

"_____ is a great champion, it'll be a tough match"
once again the wta is so very guilty of this one, I'm talking to you, justine and nicole vaidisova.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts