Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
4,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For decades now, we have watched obesity rates sky rocket and reach epidemic proportions, leading to a decline in the health and aesthetic appeal of a large segment of the population. It is of the utmost importance that this appalling trend is not only stopped, but reversed, and soon. How can this be accomplished? I believe there is a simple yet elegant solution to our problem, which becomes obvious when one asks the question "what is causing the obesity epidemic?". The answer is, the food industry! The solution must then be the complete annihilation of the food industry. No more processed food, no more junk food, no more industrially produced ****! :no:

Firstly, all farms should be organic, growing natural, healthy food. Their produce should then be sold directly to a local market, store or restaurant, entirely cutting out the middle man that would turn actual food into unhealthy ****. So the consumer would buy real food (organic vegetables, fruits, roots, cereals, eggs, fish, meat, etc) at her local grocery store or market and prepare the food herself. Or a restaurant would buy real food from the local producer, prepare it into a dish and sell the dish to the consumer. Junk food would be entirely eliminated from the market, causing obesity rates to plummet and improving the health and well being of the general population. :yeah:

Nothing else will work, because too many people lack the willpower to reject junk food freely.

·
Lurrrkin'
18,058 Posts
Got the sudden urge to jet out for a jog to my local 24 hr Mickey D's.. it's late but you've inspired me to get off my ass and do it..

·
Registered
27,181 Posts
NID you post this after obesity has already left me in ruins. Thanks for nothing.

·
Registered
4,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got the sudden urge to jet out for a jog to my local 24 hr Mickey D's.. it's late but you've inspired me to get off my ass and do it..
And they let you be an administrator... :help:

I should not be surprised. It was foretold that the Kali Yuga would be ruled by the basest of men.

That's a Mjauwesome idea!
Thank you. It may seem a tad extreme, but it's the only way.

·
Lurrrkin'
18,058 Posts
And they let you be an administrator... :help:

I should not be surprised. It was foretold that the Kali Yuga would be ruled by the basest of men.
As long as you aren't dissing Mickey D's, it's all good. They had a limited edition Easter Pumpkin pie to help me increase my BMI.

·
Registered
4,009 Posts
But seriously, how about the state gets out of my bedroom, kitchen and general business as long as I'm not hurting anyone?

·
Registered
4,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
But seriously, how about the state gets out of my bedroom, kitchen and general business as long as I'm not hurting anyone?
:no: because obesity-related diseases and health problems account for 61 percent of healthcare costs in the United States every year, so it's not just a personal decision with strictly personal consequences. It affects everyone.

But you can do what you like in your kitchen with the healthy, wholesome foods you buy! Oatmeal, fruit salads, vegetable soups, steamed broccoli, sugar free yogurts... the possibilities are endless! :yeah:

·
Premium Member
21,077 Posts
Firstly, all farms should be organic, growing natural, healthy food. Their produce should then be sold directly to a local market, store or restaurant, entirely cutting out the middle man that would turn actual food into unhealthy ****. So the consumer would buy real food (organic vegetables, fruits, roots, cereals, eggs, fish, meat, etc) at her local grocery store or market and prepare the food herself. Or a restaurant would buy real food from the local producer, prepare it into a dish and sell the dish to the consumer. Junk food would be entirely eliminated from the market, causing obesity rates to plummet and improving the health and well being of the general population. :yeah:
Sounds like a thinking of a 12 yr old :) Have you ever grown organic vegetables, do you have any experience with farming? Do you have any idea how hard it is? It needs more land, more work, the end products will cost much more and it can't feed the entire population. Not to mention that it won't help obesity, because organic hamburgers and fries will still make you fat pretty much the same as the conventional ones.

·
Registered
14,627 Posts
shut up Mjau its up to an individual to eat well or not

if someone wants to eat french fries 24/7 its their choice

if they want to eat veggies 24/7 its their choice

life would be pointless without choice. if you're obese then deal with it but mind your own business regarding others!

sort of in the same vein of trying to not allow someone to kill themselves if they're set on it. I hate when people do things like that, like lock up someone in a mental institution when they WANT to die. that sounds terrible, but the point I'm making is that we all get our own lives and we all can do whatever we want with it as long as it doesn't effect others

demanding things from the food industry or outlawing processed food or whatever is just taking away from choice.

if you want to help people don't make it illegal for cupcakes to exist, provide information and spread awareness. that's your best bet

then again I am probably a dumb dumb for replying to a Mjau thread seriously

·
Registered
6,491 Posts
For decades now, we have watched obesity rates sky rocket and reach epidemic proportions, leading to a decline in the health and aesthetic appeal of a large segment of the population. It is of the utmost importance that this appalling trend is not only stopped, but reversed, and soon. How can this be accomplished? I believe there is a simple yet elegant solution to our problem, which becomes obvious when one asks the question "what is causing the obesity epidemic?". The answer is, the food industry! The solution must then be the complete annihilation of the food industry. No more processed food, no more junk food, no more industrially produced ****! :no:

Nothing else will work, because too many people lack the willpower to reject junk food freely.
You've forwarded this to the UN, right?

·
Registered
22,412 Posts
give me organically grown potatoes, I'm still going cut 'em up into french fries and deep fry 'em.

Give me whole wheat bread, chicken, etc, I'll fry it up and make a burger.

Give me dough, meat, and some vegetables I'm still gonna eat pizza.

No matter how healthy you try and make food people will still make unhealthy shit to eat.

·
Registered
10,322 Posts
Firstly, all farms should be organic, growing natural, healthy food.

What does this have to do with obesity?

What we should do is actually educate people on how to eat without putting on fat. Honestly the average person thinks you need to be eating fruits and salads 24/7 to lose weight when this is clearly no tthe case.

You can lose weight eating McDonald's 3x a day, 100% serious.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2575755/Getting-fit-fast-food-Man-lost-56lbs-eating-McDonalds-six-months-documents-experience-new-book.html

·
Registered
4,009 Posts
:no: because obesity-related diseases and health problems account for 61 percent of healthcare costs in the United States every year, so it's not just a personal decision with strictly personal consequences. It affects everyone.
John Stuart Mill in 1869 said:
But with regard to the merely contingent, or, as it may be called, constructive injury which a person causes to society, by conduct which neither violates any specific duty to the public, nor occasions perceptible hurt to any assignable individual except himself; the inconvenience is one which society can afford to bear, for the sake of the greater good of human freedom.
I would tend to agree with Mr. Mill on this one.

Moreover, how does one quantify the damage done from poor eating habits as opposed to the damage done from alcohol, from a sedentary lifestyle, from being unable to afford quality food, of purely from having a genetically-programmed slow metabolism?

·
Registered
4,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
OMG, why must everyone be so liberal? You're such clichés! :rolleyes: Corporations should not have the freedom to make people unhealthy and people should not have the freedom to make themselves unhealthy at the expense of everyone else. People should have as much freedom as they can handle without being a burden on society.

Sounds like a thinking of a 12 yr old :) Have you ever grown organic vegetables, do you have any experience with farming? Do you have any idea how hard it is? It needs more land, more work, the end products will cost much more and it can't feed the entire population.
Yes, as a matter of fact I have! I've grown tomatoes and potatoes.

I know there are plenty of people who grow organic veggies (Russia alone has tens of millions), plenty of organic farms and gardens and plenty of people who only eat organic foods. You make it sound like it's impossible. :rolleyes:

Yes, it will cost a bit more, but healthcare expenditure will be cut in half.

Perfect, then people will be forced to lower their caloric intake! :yeah:

Not to mention that it won't help obesity, because organic hamburgers and fries will still make you fat pretty much the same as the conventional ones.
give me organically grown potatoes, I'm still going cut 'em up into french fries and deep fry 'em.

Give me whole wheat bread, chicken, etc, I'll fry it up and make a burger.

Give me dough, meat, and some vegetables I'm still gonna eat pizza.

No matter how healthy you try and make food people will still make unhealthy shit to eat.
Ha, but where would you get your precious frying oils??? There wouldn't be any, because they are all processed, so tough luck! :ras:

shut up Mjau its up to an individual to eat well or not

if someone wants to eat french fries 24/7 its their choice

if they want to eat veggies 24/7 its their choice

life would be pointless without choice. if you're obese then deal with it but mind your own business regarding others!

sort of in the same vein of trying to not allow someone to kill themselves if they're set on it. I hate when people do things like that, like lock up someone in a mental institution when they WANT to die. that sounds terrible, but the point I'm making is that we all get our own lives and we all can do whatever we want with it as long as it doesn't effect others

demanding things from the food industry or outlawing processed food or whatever is just taking away from choice.

if you want to help people don't make it illegal for cupcakes to exist, provide information and spread awareness. that's your best bet

then again I am probably a dumb dumb for replying to a Mjau thread seriously
But it does affect others. As previously mentioned, obesity related diseases account for about ~60% of healthcare expenditure in the United States. That's nearly 10% of GDP! :eek: It's a shocking sum. A huge drain on the economy.

Firstly, all farms should be organic, growing natural, healthy food.

What does this have to do with obesity?

What we should do is actually educate people on how to eat without putting on fat. Honestly the average person thinks you need to be eating fruits and salads 24/7 to lose weight when this is clearly no tthe case.

You can lose weight eating McDonald's 3x a day, 100% serious.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2575755/Getting-fit-fast-food-Man-lost-56lbs-eating-McDonalds-six-months-documents-experience-new-book.html
Well, nothing really, it's more about culture, environmentalism and animal rights.

That doesn't work. People know they shouldn't eat junk food or drink sugary beverages, but they do it anyway.

Junk food is clearly the main cause of obesity and diet related disease and malaise. Processed foods, sugary foods & drinks account for a very large percentage of the average persons caloric intake. Junk food makes people overeat because it creates cravings and disrupts the body's natural appetite regulation.

·
Registered
4,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sounds like a thinking of a 12 yr old :) Have you ever grown organic vegetables, do you have any experience with farming? Do you have any idea how hard it is? It needs more land, more work, the end products will cost much more and it can't feed the entire population. Not to mention that it won't help obesity, because organic hamburgers and fries will still make you fat pretty much the same as the conventional ones.
Maybe it can?

a recent study by scientists at the Research Institute for Organic Agriculture in Switzerland showed that organic farms were only 20 percent less productive than conventional plots over a 21-year period. Looking at more than 200 studies in North America and Europe, Per Pinstrup Andersen (a Cornell professor and winner of the World Food Prize) and colleagues recently concluded that organic yields were about 80 percent of conventional yields. And many studies show an even narrower gap. Reviewing 154 growing seasons' worth of data on various crops grown on rain-fed and irrigated land in the United States, University of California-Davis agricultural scientist Bill Liebhardt found that organic corn yields were 94 percent of conventional yields, organic wheat yields were 97 percent, and organic soybean yields were 94 percent. Organic tomatoes showed no yield difference.
a team of scientists from the University of Michigan tried to estimate how much food could be raised following a global shift to organic farming. The team combed through the literature for any and all studies comparing crop yields on organic farms with those on nonorganic farms. Based on 293 examples, they came up with a global dataset of yield ratios for the world's major crops for the developed and the developing world. As expected, organic farming yielded less than conventional farming in the developed world for most food categories, while studies from the developing world showed organic farming boosting yields. The team then ran two models. The first was conservative in the sense that it applied the yield ratio for the developed world to the entire planet, i.e., they assumed that every farm regardless of location would get only the lower developed-country yields. The second applied the yield ratio for the developed world to wealthy nations and the yield ratio for the developing world to those countries.

"We were all surprised by what we found," said Catherine Badgley, a Michigan paleoecologist who was one of the lead researchers. The first model yielded 2,641 kilocalories ("calories") per person per day, just under the world's current production of 2,786 calories but significantly higher than the average caloric requirement for a healthy person of between 2,200 and 2,500. The second model yielded 4,381 calories per person per day, 75 percent greater than current availability-and a quantity that could theoretically sustain a much larger human population than is currently supported on the world's farmland.
http://www.worldwatch.org/node/4060

According to the report, Agro-ecology and the Right to Food, organic and sustainable small scale farming could double food production in the parts of the world where hunger is the biggest issue.

http://www.srfood.org/images/stories/pdf/officialreports/20110308_a-hrc-16-49_agroecology_en.pdf

This UN report points out the need for changes in our agriculture and trade systems, with a shift toward local small-scale farms and food systems recommended. Diversity of farms, reducing the use of fertilizer and other changes are required.

“This implies a rapid and significant shift from conventional, monoculture-based and high-external-input-dependent industrial production toward mosaics of sustainable, regenerative production systems that also considerably improve the productivity of small-scale farmers,”

Trade liberalization of agriculture systems are “primarily designed to strengthen the hold of multinational corporate and financial firms on the global economy…”

http://unctad.org/en/PublicationsLibrary/ditcted2012d3_en.pdf

A 2008 UN study highlights the importance of organic farming in solving Africa's agricultural problems.

unctad.org/en/Docs/ditcted200715_en.pdf

·
Registered
4,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Moreover, how does one quantify the damage done from poor eating habits as opposed to the damage done from alcohol, from a sedentary lifestyle, from being unable to afford quality food, of purely from having a genetically-programmed slow metabolism?
It's not realistic to ban alcohol (tried & failed), or a sedentary lifestyle, or having a a genetically-programmed slow metabolism.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts