Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After Vasek loss today to Milos in the finals of Washington DC I can't help feel sad for him. The Canadian media go on and on about Milos and Eugenie. I understand Raonic is top 10 BUT I think the Canadian press need to be more respectful to Vasek. Vasek made this all Canadian final possible if he didn't reach the final what narrative would the Canadian press have? Also, Vasek has improved too he had a serious back injury and he reached his first ATP final. Vasek is also a Wimbledon doubles champion that is a huge accomplishment. The Canadian press needs to realize many of us while we respect Milos accomplishments would like Vasek to get some respect. The Canadian commentators on this Sports Net channel are so Pro Milos and so obnoxious. Vasek just needs to stay healthy, work hard and find a way to get more consistent. Vasek seems like a really nice guy and I want him to know many CANADIANS are rooting for him.

·
Registered
8,950 Posts
GalacticDude,

My theory is that no bad press = good press.
As Vasek becomes more decorated, the praise will come.
Unless of course you've found some negative comments in the media.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No negative comments just I feel Vasek is a bit overlooked like he is the forgotten man in Canada. I sense Vasek wants the spotlight but he needs to maintain this level of play that is the key. Vasek proved a lot this week he beat Berdych and Gasquet for the second time which is extremely impressive. Berdych is top 10 and Gasquet is top 15. The talent is clearly there with Vasek he just needs to continue working hard and maintain consistency. Vasek can be a top 20 player or higher he has the game to reach that level.

·
Registered
9,517 Posts
No negative comments just I feel Vasek is a bit overlooked like he is the forgotten man in Canada. I sense Vasek wants the spotlight but he needs to maintain this level of play that is the key. Vasek proved a lot this week he beat Berdych and Gasquet for the second time which is extremely impressive. Berdych is top 10 and Gasquet is top 15. The talent is clearly there with Vasek he just needs to continue working hard and maintain consistency. Vasek can be a top 20 player or higher he has the game to reach that level.
Why is that? Vasek was great in this event. He played awesome and had very tough matches and he won them. Raonic had an easy draw and i think he even did not play top 20 player in whole event. Vasek should be proud . I know he was tired and he has no time for recovery. It will not be easy in Toronto as well but his time will come if he keeps playing well. Milos was lucky in Wimbeldon as well to get to SF because he did not play top 10 player to SF and when he played vs Federer we saw what happened.
IMO Vesek is a very good player and if he plays and wins those tough matches he would get better .

·
Registered
185 Posts
Besides his Wimbledon doubles title, which was awesome, he hasn't really accomplished much in his career that would make me say that he deserves so much respect. One Final of a 500 event does not undo an absolutely dreadful start to the season. He hasn't even made a Round of 16 at a major yet. Raonic and Bouchard have accomplished much more, and thus are respected more by the Canadian media. It's that simple.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Besides his Wimbledon doubles title, which was awesome, he hasn't really accomplished much in his career that would make me say that he deserves so much respect. One Final of a 500 event does not undo an absolutely dreadful start to the season. He hasn't even made a Round of 16 at a major yet. Raonic and Bouchard have accomplished much more, and thus are respected more by the Canadian media. It's that simple.
Vasek is second Canadian man in history to finish a year ranked in the ATP top 40. The thing is Vasek back injury messed up his first half of the year.Vasek had the tougher draw in Washington yet he got through it. True, Milos is the top player I am just disappointed that Vasek had poor scheduling and had to play 4 sets in one day on Saturday. A fresh Vasek would of beaten Raonic I believe. Vasek performance was tired in the finals of Washington and it showed in his play.

·
Registered
9,517 Posts
Yeah i agree with you. I am sure Vasek won the hearts of many fans.He is such a nice guy.

·
Administrator
14,824 Posts
After Vasek loss today to Milos in the finals of Washington DC I can't help feel sad for him. The Canadian media go on and on about Milos and Eugenie. I understand Raonic is top 10 BUT I think the Canadian press need to be more respectful to Vasek. Vasek made this all Canadian final possible if he didn't reach the final what narrative would the Canadian press have? Also, Vasek has improved too he had a serious back injury and he reached his first ATP final. Vasek is also a Wimbledon doubles champion that is a huge accomplishment. The Canadian press needs to realize many of us while we respect Milos accomplishments would like Vasek to get some respect. The Canadian commentators on this Sports Net channel are so Pro Milos and so obnoxious. Vasek just needs to stay healthy, work hard and find a way to get more consistent. Vasek seems like a really nice guy and I want him to know many CANADIANS are rooting for him.
No Damian Cox is just an idiot. TSN gave Pospisil alot of love for his doubles win at Wimbledon. Posisil is the Canadian #2, so for that reason alone he will get less press than Raonic, he also only been in the top 100 for the last year. I think there's a lot of apprehension still to see if his run at the Roges Cup last year was a fluke. With the SF points he's dropping he's just hanging on the top 50 right now. If he does well here he'll probably start to get more love and press. As long as Raonic is the Canadian #1 he will get more attention.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No Damian Cox is just an idiot. TSN gave Pospisil alot of love for his doubles win at Wimbledon. Posisil is the Canadian #2, so for that reason alone he will get less press than Raonic, he also only been in the top 100 for the last year. I think there's a lot of apprehension still to see if his run at the Roges Cup last year was a fluke. With the SF points he's dropping he's just hanging on the top 50 right now. If he does well here he'll probably start to get more love and press. As long as Raonic is the Canadian #1 he will get more attention.
This is true Vasek does need to maintain this level of play no argument here.

·
Registered
24,789 Posts
Well that's obviously not true with his run to the final just now.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Well at least he can take comfort from the fact that he's quite good looking, whereas Raonic looks like a particularly ugly pig.

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
Well it's comprehensible that tennis world is dominated by singles, unless you are great champions like the Bryans in doubles you are still nobody. In singles it's totally different. A young gun like Milos breakthrough his career into top 10 and Wimbledon semifinals would be a huge attraction.
When Vasek impressed me was that in last year's Basel he gave a good fight against Roger in the semis.
Just feel weird why you Canadians tend to pronounce "s" like "sh" like Milos and Vasek? After I wikied both I found this strange to me. Is this some kind of Canadian accent? Although I know Canadian English resembles Americans very much.

·
Banned
18,509 Posts
Player forum. Canadatards are the most unbearable bunch of extremists since the time Fraud won something relevant and his bandwagoners spammed this forum. Truly obnoxious bunch, especially considering the humiliation Botnic suffered at the hands of Fraud at Wimby and Hypechard getting absolutely torched in Wimbledon final :superlol:

As for Mugsek, he's a little more than a journeyman and getting thrashed by Botnic in a Mickey Mouse event will be the highlight of his career.

·
Administrator
14,824 Posts
Well it's comprehensible that tennis world is dominated by singles, unless you are great champions like the Bryans in doubles you are still nobody. In singles it's totally different. A young gun like Milos breakthrough his career into top 10 and Wimbledon semifinals would be a huge attraction.
When Vasek impressed me was that in last year's Basel he gave a good fight against Roger in the semis.
Just feel weird why you Canadians tend to pronounce "s" like "sh" like Milos and Vasek? After I wikied both I found this strange to me. Is this some kind of Canadian accent? Although I know Canadian English resembles Americans very much.
Not a Canadian accent. Milos is Montengran born (moved to Canada with his parents when he was 3). Vasek's parents are of Czech decent.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Maybe Canadians pronounce it sh because that's the ways it's supposed to be pronounced?

·
Registered
280 Posts
Not a Canadian accent. Milos is Montengran born (moved to Canada with his parents when he was 3). Vasek's parents are of Czech decent.
Oh dear, I fear you may have fallen into TropicalSunset's cleverly disguised trap by admitting that both of Canada's top male singles players have foreign backgrounds.

·
Registered
8,950 Posts
Player forum. Canadatards are the most unbearable bunch of extremists since the time Fraud won something relevant and his bandwagoners spammed this forum. Truly obnoxious bunch, especially considering the humiliation Botnic suffered at the hands of Fraud at Wimby and Hypechard getting absolutely torched in Wimbledon final :superlol:

As for Mugsek, he's a little more than a journeyman and getting thrashed by Botnic in a Mickey Mouse event will be the highlight of his career.
Stop being a clown. Djoker smashed Nadal for an entire year, not just one match.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts