Mens Tennis Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hell, i dont even remember the slam record even being talked about until sampras started inching closer in 98/99. why is it the "holy grail" now all of a sudden?. All I remember hearing about being the holy grail at the time was the most Wimbledon titles When was this "calendar slam necessity" even a"thing?"

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Hell, i dont even remember the slam record even being talked about until sampras started inching closer in 98/99. why is it the "holy grail" now all of a sudden?. All I remember hearing about being the holy grail at the time was the most Wimbledon titles When was this "calendar slam necessity" even a"thing?"
This is odd considering 99% of your posts are trying to discredit Federer in some way, you know, the one who achieved that the most.

But yes, the "Calendar" slam is not different than winning four in a row starting at USO, Wimbledon or Roland Garros.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Media.. It is actually not Sampras, it is the media.. It is the hype, buzz and all that. Stats made more important now than before. At the same time, players get lot of money too.

It gets talked about when some one is about to do it. Not when someone does not even have that chance like Sampras. Once again a lot of GOAT stuff is because of media, nothing else. Well, we all get sucked into it. If slam count and all this is not that important.. well they are all GOATs I guess.

·
WOAT Predictor
624 Posts
McEnroe pointed out many times that slam record wasn't given importance in his playing days either which is why many players skipped travelling to Australia.

French, Wimbledon and US Open were considered as the main slams and every player would want to win atleast one of them. Wimbledon, obviously was considered as 'Holy Grail' of tennis.

It all changed after Wimbledon 2009.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I don't think many people thought it was possible until recently. IIRC only Agassi achieved the career slam in the Open Era before the Big 3 came along.

·
justice for all
19,387 Posts
Do you have such great memory or you just took it out of your.... ?

·
Your visions will happen
53,716 Posts
Mr. and Mrs. Agassi won Career Golden Slam and CYGS during Sampras era

Even Pete had a chance for a "Pete Slam" in 1994 RG but could not get it done

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
I think Slam count is much more important than streaks. Maybe not in the 70s but now for sure, and hopefully that will remain. Streaks are cool and show dominance and consistency, but if you win the same number of slams non-consecutively, it implies better longevity or resilience.

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
Well,BIG3 upped the level that high so everything started to be measured by their success.

And ofc...Media.Social media in 00s not that significant\developed as since 10s

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
It’s interesting that what is considered important changes over time. What if in 30 years NCYGS and CYGS are considered equal, if nobody achieves either after Djokovic until then. Or maybe Olympics will be valued well above a Slam. Or Masters 1000 take on more importance. Or ranking. Hard to predict.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Now it is important as is the only way someone can say Djoker is not the GOAT as he was not able to achieve it. When all said Federe was the GOAT, nobody talked about CYGS, as Federer did not ever go near to it (was no even able to win the first 2 slams of the year!!!).

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
Now it is important as is the only way someone can say Djoker is not the GOAT as he was not able to achieve it. When all said Federe was the GOAT, nobody talked about CYGS, as Federer did not ever go near to it (was no even able to win the first 2 slams of the year!!!).
He went very close to it, only one win short - for two years in a row. He wasn't losing Wimb and US had he won RG.

Nobody else has ever won 27 Slam matches in consecutive seasons - another notch on the GOAT belt.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Maybe it wasn´t talked because there was no player good enough to even be near of accomplishing this?, the CYGS is the holy grail in tennis, whoever wins it, will be the Zeus, the Jupiter, the god of gods of the tennis pantheon

·
Premium Member
12,445 Posts
It's simple.

Nadal, Djokovic and Federer have shattered all prior records.

So their barometer for success and GOAT status is heavily skewed.

Also CYGS is still a might feat.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Maybe it wasn´t talked because there was no player good enough to even be near of accomplishing this?, the CYGS is the holy grail in tennis, whoever wins it, will be the Zeus, the Jupiter, the god of gods of the tennis pantheon
That would be true in the 90s. With surface homogenization it is not as important.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts