Mens Tennis Forums banner
41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,758 Posts
I'm talking about the eggs that haven't been fertilized, a life that could be was lost by the practise of isolating roosters, the person in the tweet is directly contributing to that loss of life but claims to be doing it for the animals, he's either hypocritical or ignorant.
It's not a given that a rooster would be present even in the wild. But you're correct that this involves human intervention to be certain no rooster is present. And thus the amount of unfertilized eggs is unnatural. If OP is against killing animals I suppose he should apply that approach also to eggs in this sense (plus because of other potentially harmful practices at chicken farms). So more so he should look at veganism than vegetarianism.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
I'm talking about the eggs that haven't been fertilized, a life that could be was lost by the practise of isolating roosters, the person in the tweet is directly contributing to that loss of life but claims to be doing it for the animals, he's either hypocritical or ignorant.
That life that could have been was only a possibility because of humans though. So the practice is what makes it a possibility but also what makes that life unrealized.

·
Registered
5,876 Posts
So you think vegetarians should not eat any plants grown with the help of natural manure?
I am saying that eggetarians should not say "eek! they are eating chicken, but still go on to eat the oval shaped thing coming out of chicken's asshole."

·
Registered
627 Posts
I am saying that eggetarians should not say "eek! they are eating chicken, but still go on eat the oval shaped thing coming out of chicken's asshole."
you are neither a veggie nor a vegan, so I doubt you have a right to tell them that they are doing wrong with their ideology. According to them, every little helps.

·
RAVE ON
20,224 Posts
Yes, there is no life in those eggs BECAUSE of humans. I don't care either way, but if someone is vegetarian because they don't wish to harm animals but then eat eggs, they're a giant hypocrite.
But most people are vegetarian for other reasons.

But apart from that, how are you going to explain how an egg harms another animal?

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
But most people are vegetarian for other reasons.

But apart from that, how are you going to explain how an egg harms another animal?
Not the person in the tweet.

I'm not saying those eggs have harmed anyone, I'm saying those eggs could've been animals.

·
Registered
5,876 Posts
you are neither a veggie nor a vegan, so I doubt you have a right to tell them that they are doing wrong with their ideology. According to them, every little helps.
FYI, I am a vegetarian, 99% of the time. I can become 100% vegetarian without any qualms. I do not have a penchant for eating meat.

·
Premium Member
868 Posts
It’s not about loss of potential life. Who cares if sone chicken is never conceived. It’s about not causing pain or suffering to another conscious being and/or extinguishing a conscious being. An unfertilized egg feels no pain and has no consciousness to experience suffering. The only real harm in eating eggs is how the hens might be treated in order to harvest their eggs. If you’re eating eggs from abused hens cooped up in inhumane conditions with 50 chickens per sq meter, getting beaten with steel pipes for fun in an egg factory farm, then eating eggs while professing to be veggie for the animals is hypocritical or ignorant. While eating eggs from happy hens hanging out in your backyard is irreprehensible and totally consistent with being vegetarian #ForTheAnimals.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
It’s not about loss of potential life. Who cares if sone chicken is never conceived. It’s about not causing pain or suffering to another conscious being and/or extinguishing a conscious being. An unfertilized egg feels no pain and has no consciousness to experience suffering. The only real harm in eating eggs is how the hens might be treated in order to harvest their eggs. If you’re eating eggs from abused hens cooped up in inhumane conditions with 50 chickens per sq meter, getting beaten with steel pipes for fun in an egg factory farm, then eating eggs while professing to be veggie for the animals is hypocritical or ignorant. While eating eggs from happy hens hanging out in your backyard is irreprehensible and totally consistent with being vegetarian #ForTheAnimals.
It's all part of the same system, trying to pick and choose which parts of it to feel outraged about is retarded.

·
RAVE ON
20,224 Posts
It's all part of the same system, trying to pick and choose which parts of it to feel outraged about is retarded.
I think you are giving more weight to this than it deserves.
It is none of your business what other people eat. Seems it is you who is feeling outraged.

From My Big Fat Greek Wedding:
Daughter: "Ian is a vegetarian, he doesn’t eat meat."
Mother: "What you mean he don’t eat no meat? He don’t eat no meat? Ahhh, don’t worry, I’ll make lamb."

The main drive of animals is to propagate their species. Cows and chickens have been hugely successful at this. They are everywhere.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
I think you giving more weight to this than it deserves.
It is none of your business what other people eat. Seems it is you who is feeling outraged.
Explaining myself means I'm outraged? I don't think so, I eat meat so I'm not really that bothered about this too much. And sure it's none of my business, but so what, I should keep silent about it? Seems like an awful idea for a host of topics. If there is a conversation about it, I'll share my views just like everyone else and if you guys get upset about it, that's your problem.

The main drive of animals is to propagate their species. Cows and chickens have been hugely successful at this. They are everywhere.
This is your second comment to me and the second time you've misunderstood the conversation. I don't care about the main drive of animals, or how many there(provided there are enough for me to eat), I'm only about speaking the concept of ethical vegetarianism mentioned in the tweets.

·
Premium Member
868 Posts
There will always be clowns who get outraged, but ethical vegetarianism isn’t the art of trying to pick and choose which part of the system to feel outraged about; it’s the science of picking and choosing which eggs to eat depending on how they were sourced.

·
Registered
181 Posts

·
Registered
6,023 Posts
An egg is not meat imo, but there is something philosophical about OP's thread title :unsure:

I've known people who don't eat meat and think it's wrong because of animal abuse, but they do eat fish (so-called pescotarians). Okay :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
29,809 Posts
When is ACC?
Valid question... can't come soon enough.

Extremely boring topic though... and I really can't name at least 2 good posters here in Non Tennis for PopCon.
(Maybe 10 for GM.)

MTF has sunk this year to the bottom... and I am sure if the slams were distributed among 4 different players it wouldn't have helped as much.
Something terribly went wrong on here...

·
Registered
2 Posts
This is a very useful post. Thank you!

41 - 60 of 60 Posts