Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think if Federer had just continued with his old racket when he recovered from his back problems at the start of 2014, he would have been even better in 2014-to-present.

I see nothing that Federer does better with the new racket than the old one, and if anything, he seems to have less power with it, not more.

Even in Halle 2013, which was right before he would get bounced by Stakhovsky in round 2 of Wimbledon, he looks as good in this match as he ever has since:

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Disagree. His BH is heaps better with the larger racquet. The less power is simple: Father Time.
No it's not. I have to question if people like you have even been watching him play. Federer's backhand post-Miami of 2017 is the worst it has ever been in his career. Even teenage Federer's backhand was better than Halle 2017-to-present Federer's backhand.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yawn, I expect this thread to max out at 8 posts
Well, it probably won't get the same number of responses as a thread where somebody cites an imaginary friend telling him when Federer is going to retire.

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
Yawn, I expect this thread to max out at 8 posts
Well, it probably won't get the same number of responses as a thread where somebody cites an imaginary friend telling him when Federer is going to retire.
Never said the source was my friend. I wish I had friends in such high places in Fed’s camp ? I’d probably get perks

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Never said the source was my friend. I wish I had friends in such high places in Fed’s camp ? I’d probably get perks
You didn't have to, because you clearly made the whole thing up.

·
Registered
3,781 Posts

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When I’m vindicated in a few months and tell you I warned you, will you acknowledge that you were wrong?
Barring extenuating circumstances such as a new injury.

But it's already clear you're wrong. Federer has shown no emotion playing all the post-Laver Cup tournaments over the past few months. According to you, he has knowingly played his last Shanghai, Basel, YEC, AO, Dubai (even though it was announced during the ceremony he had told them he's returning next year), IW, and Miami.

Yet not one tear from the guy who cries when his shower is over.

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
When I’m vindicated in a few months and tell you I warned you, will you acknowledge that you were wrong?
Barring extenuating circumstances such as a new injury.

But it's already clear you're wrong. Federer has shown no emotion playing all the post-Laver Cup tournaments over the past few months. According to you, he has knowingly played his last Shanghai, Basel, YEC, AO, Dubai (even though it was announced during the ceremony he had told them he's returning next year), IW, and Miami.

Yet not one tear from the guy who cries when his shower is over.
Let’s see how he reacts after his last Wimbledon soon

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
1. Easier power on serve - said by Federer himself
- Secondary benefit of above - less stress on his back which has been a problem area
2. Higher margin of error on backhand

I am good with these improvements as long as FH does not become a liability.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
it`s true than this racket destroyed his main weapon, the forehand.

the new racket helped him a lot against nadal, because he can serve better and the BH is much more regular against nadal`s lefty forehand.

BUT DESTROYED HIM in his rivalry against nole, especially outside VERY FAST COURTS.

with nole federer was capable to beat him only in very fast courts servebotting and rushing the net, but only in faster courts and 3 sets.

in slams in where the surfaces are much more slower than cincinatti, shangai, etc.......federer beated nole using his great forehand for move nole for all the court and with this new racket that FH is over, so nole can push all the day without problems in slower surfaces because federer can`t servebotting and play a perfect serve and volley game in 5 sets with slow courts.

so the new racket is a 50-50.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I see, so it's normal for tennis players after reaching the age of 35 and previously winning only 1 GS in six years, to winning 3 GS titles, almost winning two Sunshine Doubles, and going 4-0 against a top player like Nadal? How many players have done this?
The racquet switch + six month offseason to practice with it was Fed's savior. And blaming a racquet for someone's declining forehand when they're turning 38 in a handful of months is ridiculous.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
I see, so it's normal for tennis players after reaching the age of 35 and previously winning only 1 GS in six years, to winning 3 GS titles, almost winning two Sunshine Doubles, and going 4-0 against a top player like Nadal? How many players have done this?
The racquet switch + six month offseason to practice with it was Fed's savior. And blaming a racquet for someone's declining forehand when they're turning 38 in a handful of months is ridiculous.
yes, but I insists, than this racket hurted him against djoko

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You do realize Federer had been using the new racket for 3 years prior to that and hadn't won a single slam with it, right?

Federer's first match vs. Nadal with the new racket was a straight set beatdown in AO 2014. There is no evidence it helped him one iota.

What did help him was getting healthy in the off-season after his 2013 back problems, and then having tons of practice leading up to the 2017 season after shutting down his 2016 campaign following the loss to Raonic at Wimbledon.

And of course, he likely doesn't win any of those 3 slams if Djokovic is healthy those years. That was the difference between 2017-18 and 2015-16.

But if you actually go back and watch his matches with the old racket, even from his last years using it, he only hit a better ball with it, not a worse one.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts