Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This doesn't feel like a final without him, it's really really strange :lol: Don't get me wrong, it's a brilliant match, but yeah, it's weird!

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
a 20 year old and 21 year old, both green... both over-hyped (as they all are these days)... what did you expect

·
Registered
56,000 Posts
Believe me, I know what you're feeling, just watching 2 twenty something players(youngsters!) getting tired after only 2 hours of powerfull serve play!

·
MTF. Never changes!
10,054 Posts
This could send some hate in my direction, but I get the feeling if one of the finalists had been Federer, I would have walked out of the room after a set, rolling my eyes in disgust... 'here we go again'. This was refreshing for me, even if it was confusing as hell because I didn't really want either to lose.

Reactions: RagingLamb and MCL

·
RAJ KAREGA KHALSA
9,981 Posts
Well, you're certainly not going to get any hate from me. I feel exactly the same way. I'll watch Federer win a tight first set and then he just pulls away in the second set and he's off to the races. It's like that every time he plays Blake, Roddick, Hewitt, etc.

This could send some hate in my direction, but I get the feeling if one of the finalists had been Federer, I would have walked out of the room after a set, rolling my eyes in disgust... 'here we go again'. This was refreshing for me, even if it was confusing as hell because I didn't really want either to lose.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
If Federer was in the finals the match would have more clinical feel to it and a lot more history behind it.

·
Registered
12,644 Posts
I wanted Novak and Roger to play for the championship but it wasn't possible. I'm sure we'll see these 2 fighting again soon. I miss Roger too :-(

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
You know how they say: if one isn't there, you can do without him

·
Registered
19,954 Posts
Frankly, it was nice to have a final without Federer or Nadal. Granted, I prefer to see Nadal in a final but it's nice this way as well.

·
Registered
7,599 Posts
TWAT Is in WtaWorld not here :wavey:

·
Registered
239 Posts
Well, I fhound it quite surreal, as though I'd found myself in a parallel universe where Fed didn't exist. And, being a Fed fan, it was sad surreality.

·
Registered
11,530 Posts
It was refreshing I think but I would have preffered to see two real big players battle it out. Tsonga played amazing this whole tournament and his level was fine but it would've been more atmospheric for a bigger name to face off with Djokovic. I hope sincerely Tsonga doesn't fade into mediocrity this year and can become a real force on tour.

·
Registered
22,082 Posts
It was refreshing I think but I would have preffered to see two real big players battle it out. Tsonga played amazing this whole tournament and his level was fine but it would've been more atmospheric for a bigger name to face off with Djokovic. I hope sincerely Tsonga doesn't fade into mediocrity this year and can become a real force on tour.
Totally disagree. I find it more atmospheric for an underdog to be playing a big name, in a big match. Tsonga was in with a geniune chance to win a Grand Slam title, massive opportunity. I never get excited over tennis anymore really, but when an underdog like Tsonga has a chance to achieve something so massive, it is very entertaining from my point of view.

·
Registered
911 Posts
To be honest, Tsonga and Djokovic are two real big players. Both deserved to be in the final, both took out the NO 1 and 2 players in the world, in straight sets.

Tsonga will become a force on the tour. Djokovic will threaten for the No1 and 2 spots soon, and Tennis is healthy.

:)

Reactions: Kristen

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
I missed Roger, too. I saw the first two sets in the middle of the night here, and went back to sleep after ND went up a break in the third. Both played okay some of the time, but lots of nerves, and for every brilliant shot/ralley a score of not. No one will eve know how the Federer vs Djokoivc match would have played out if Roger had been truly well/fit/in form but the particular way it did in straights would not have been. I'm sure of that. Hope Roger gts his full health, strength and joie de vie back on track, and plays some more amazing tennis this year!

·
Registered
11,530 Posts
Totally disagree. I find it more atmospheric for an underdog to be playing a big name, in a big match. Tsonga was in with a geniune chance to win a Grand Slam title, massive opportunity. I never get excited over tennis anymore really, but when an underdog like Tsonga has a chance to achieve something so massive, it is very entertaining from my point of view.
I like an underdog who is in with a chance vs an established big name. Djokovic, though his credentials are undeniable, especially now, he is still not quite that. If there are two young guys I like them both to have a bit to their resume.

·
Registered
134 Posts
a 20 year old and 21 year old, both green... both over-hyped (as they all are these days)... what did you expect
I'm not a Fed fan but I have to admit I'm starting to like him more and more when compared to other players who seem arrogant and full of themselves.

Those players will remain unnamed ;)

See you at the French Roger :)

·
Registered
56,000 Posts
I missed Roger, too. I saw the first two sets in the middle of the night here, and went back to sleep after ND went up a break in the third. Both played okay some of the time, but lots of nerves, and for every brilliant shot/ralley a score of not.
My thoughts exactly but I stayed until the very end. I love tennis, what can I do?

1 - 20 of 132 Posts